Bleach shortage?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jennyjj01

Re: Bleach shortage?

Post by jennyjj01 »

British Red wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:45 pm
GillyBee wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:28 pm I think the Sainsburys ones are unscented. For brewing and simlar purposes I use baby sterilising tablets. The own brand ones are a lot cheaper than Milton and they are all basically bleach. The Asda ones used to have instructions for making water safe to drink - 1 tablet per 25 litres which is handy as I have a couple of 25l water jerries.
That's interesting, thanks. I imagine 🙂 me tablet would do a 5 gallon brewing bucket just as well 🙂
When I do my 5 gallon bucket, I usually lob 5 tesco tablets in, but then I fill the bucket with bottles and airlocks to sterilise them too*. As long as everything is clean already, that's more than adequate. We only need the liquid to make lots of contact and don't strictly need to fill containers

* When i time things right, I'm usually bottling one batch from gallon jars at the same time as starting a new batch, so need bottles and bucket sterilised same day.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:49 pm When I do my 5 gallon bucket, I usually lob 5 tesco tablets in, but then I fill the bucket with bottles and airlocks to sterilise them too. As long as everything is clean already, that's more than adequate. We only need the liquid to make lots of contact and don't strictly need to fill containers
That's very efficient, I like that.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Here are the instructions for the Asda variant. They include the drinking water guidance which may be useful. I think all the baby sterilising tabs are much the same. These ones contain Troclosene Sodium 400mg NaDCC per tablet as do the Tesco ones.

Looking at the instructions, 5 tablets to 5 gallons for brewing work sounds about right.

Kitchen Hygiene: to clean and disinfect, dissolve 1 or 2 tablets in a bowl of clean washing up water. Using rubber gloves, all surfaces can be washed down in the normal way. Leave surfaces to air dry, or use disposable paper towels.
Beer and Wine Making: to sterilise all items (bottles, pipes, demijohns, tubes etc.) add 1 tablet per 4L of water. Keep items submerged for at least 30 minutes.
Water Purification: to destroy harmful bacteria found in contaminated water and protect against illness caused by waterborne diseases. Dissolve 1 tablet per 25L of drinking water (50L if low risk area). Leave for 10 minutes before drinking. To kill salmonella and listeria without Tainting: dissolve 1 tablet per 10L of cold water. Submerge produce for 15 minutes. Rinse with tap water and consume or refrigerate. (suitable for non-peelable produce only).
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

GillyBee wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:40 pm Here are the instructions for the Asda variant. They include the drinking water guidance which may be useful. I think all the baby sterilising tabs are much the same. These ones contain Troclosene Sodium 400mg NaDCC per tablet as do the Tesco ones.

Looking at the instructions, 5 tablets to 5 gallons for brewing work sounds about right.

Kitchen Hygiene: to clean and disinfect, dissolve 1 or 2 tablets in a bowl of clean washing up water. Using rubber gloves, all surfaces can be washed down in the normal way. Leave surfaces to air dry, or use disposable paper towels.
Beer and Wine Making: to sterilise all items (bottles, pipes, demijohns, tubes etc.) add 1 tablet per 4L of water. Keep items submerged for at least 30 minutes.
Water Purification: to destroy harmful bacteria found in contaminated water and protect against illness caused by waterborne diseases. Dissolve 1 tablet per 25L of drinking water (50L if low risk area). Leave for 10 minutes before drinking. To kill salmonella and listeria without Tainting: dissolve 1 tablet per 10L of cold water. Submerge produce for 15 minutes. Rinse with tap water and consume or refrigerate. (suitable for non-peelable produce only).
That's one of the best informative posts I've seen on here since being a member.
Thank you.
Fill er up jacko...