Power cut kit..

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Power cut kit..

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Stonecarver wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:37 pmYep
Few options available you can get basic solar chargers eg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363150716355 ... BMwszTi9xf

Do not expect miracles but those cheap £1 solar lights are usually a AA or AAA cell so can make several chargers fir a couple of quid ;) snip the led out no load no draw at night

I've a couple of usb chargers ranging from small to large units

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HiQuick-Chargi ... 5135&psc=1

I've also got a couple of Lidl 240 and 12v chargers 12v charging seems to be dying out due to the usb driven world ....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Thanks Andy
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:31 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:19 pm
jansman wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:20 pm

Cheers mate. My brother dabbles in caravan sales,so a leisure battery should be easy to source.

Well found my little China made usb meter ..

But it's blooming cloudy ..

IMG_20220205_123050_246.jpg

The cheap "100w" :lol: China panel looked to be doing good showing 5 volts until I plugged in the Anker power bank then it dropped to IMG_20220205_123105_253.jpg

No ampage no charge...

So tried the Lidl 14w and the cheap China "20w" panels they wouldn't even power up the tester ..

Most success was the 60w solar panel plus charger/ controller with the leisure battery

(Can't get to the wires to measure the panels input)

IMG_20220205_123538_500.jpg

The 50w panel with the charge controller is taking in about 0.8a for comparison doesn't sound much but it's holding its own Vs usage

IMG_20220205_124600_419.jpg

To be continued :lol:
Interesting research there Andy.Thanks for sharing that.

Suns out :lol:

The 100w :lol: :lol: :lol: China panel is showing 4.8v at 0.6amps...

The 20w :lol: :lol: is showing 4.75v at 0.18a

The folding Lidl silver crest is kicking out 4.9v at 0.7a so is the clear winner ;)

jansman

Post by jansman »

I’ve revisited this for a reason. I am making up a basic powercut kit for both daughters. I’ve got two little plastic buckets from work,and in there I’ve put in a Home Bargains Head torch and COB worklight,a handheld torch,and sufficient batteries. Also a small fm radio,as both the girls live in total ‘Smart ‘ homes.Unlike Stone Age parents! :lol: I have put in a disposable lighter and box of matches but no candles, as both girls have loads of the flouncy perfume jobbies anyway,and I am not encouraging them! In fairness they were both brought up with open fires and understand naked - flame safety. It’s their dopey partners :lol:

Oh yes,and I have put in a power bank each,as no mobile phone would be the end of the world. They will get regular reminders too,to check everything :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:46 am I’ve revisited this for a reason. I am making up a basic powercut kit for both daughters. I’ve got two little plastic buckets from work,and in there I’ve put in a Home Bargains Head torch and COB worklight,a handheld torch,and sufficient batteries. Also a small fm radio,as both the girls live in total ‘Smart ‘ homes.Unlike Stone Age parents! :lol: I have put in a disposable lighter and box of matches but no candles, as both girls have loads of the flouncy perfume jobbies anyway,and I am not encouraging them! In fairness they were both brought up with open fires and understand naked - flame safety. It’s their dopey partners :lol:

Oh yes,and I have put in a power bank each,as no mobile phone would be the end of the world. They will get regular reminders too,to check everything :D

12v usb car charger there was some in the bargain bin in our Lidl... Not any more I snaffled the last 3 for £2 something each :lol:

This enables them to charge up in their / from their car the greatest dinosaur powered under appreciated domestic charger :mrgreen: i often charge stuff to and from work it's running anyway the tiny extra load isn't going to do anything to the fuel efficiency

jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:01 am
jansman wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:46 am I’ve revisited this for a reason. I am making up a basic powercut kit for both daughters. I’ve got two little plastic buckets from work,and in there I’ve put in a Home Bargains Head torch and COB worklight,a handheld torch,and sufficient batteries. Also a small fm radio,as both the girls live in total ‘Smart ‘ homes.Unlike Stone Age parents! :lol: I have put in a disposable lighter and box of matches but no candles, as both girls have loads of the flouncy perfume jobbies anyway,and I am not encouraging them! In fairness they were both brought up with open fires and understand naked - flame safety. It’s their dopey partners :lol:

12v usb car charger there was some in the bargain bin in our Lidl... Not any more I snaffled the last 3 for £2 something each :lol:

This enables them to charge up in their / from their car the greatest dinosaur powered under appreciated domestic charger :mrgreen: i often charge stuff to and from work it's running anyway the tiny extra load isn't going to do anything to the fuel efficiency
Good idea.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:03 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:01 am

Good idea.

Your going to need a bigger bucket (in the man from jaws voice) :lol:

For the money the b&m Eveready cob lanterns take some beating for £12 they even have a set of batteries I might have snuck another into the house yesterday when I de bussed my camper after our holiday :lol:

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/eve ... ern-361101

I am tempted to take some scotchbrite to the globe to defuse the light as they are a bit harsh

jansman

Post by jansman »

I like the BandM Eveready kit,it does the job.

Robert Frost.

Me.