What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
British Red

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by British Red »

Jerseyspud wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:20 pm

Used cherryz for the first time for food delivery today and am really impressed with it and price for tinned stuff.

I don't have cheap supermarkets over here. I'm going to do another order
I hadn't heard of them either - interesting - thank you!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

British Red wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:00 pm

Used cherryz for the first time for food delivery today and am really impressed with it and price for tinned stuff.

They get mixed reviews on TrustPilot. It seems they use Hermes as their courier. So that probably explains a lot of the negativity. With wafer thin margins, there's bound to be compromises on customer service.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:26 pm
British Red wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:00 pm

They get mixed reviews on TrustPilot. It seems they use Hermes as their courier. So that probably explains a lot of the negativity. With wafer thin margins, there's bound to be compromises on customer service.

My mum used to work with our local Hermes / evri lady never had any problems can't think why :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Part of prepping is taking care of ourselves in present day society as well - if things recover, or even just go bad a lot slower than we envisage, we need to still have our paperwork in order, all of that. So for a good portion of today, that's what I've been doing - downloading statements, storing them properly, that sort of thing, applied for a new Mastercard cc - I've had both Mastercard and Visa for years, if one freezes or gets an attack, the other is likely to be clear.

Most firms keep their paperless statements online for years - but my Visa cc provider only keeps them for six months, which has teed me off no end, I've lost some altogether.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:34 pm
Jerseyspud wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:20 pm I join in the consensus thst it feels like everything is more serious again

I'd never heard of cherryz. So. does it use regular Royal Mail (or Jersey equiv) or Hermes to send the parcels? Their delivery prices seem incredibly low. Cheaper than our supermarkets with their fleets of vans. Though their range is quite small, prices are low and on par with big supermarkets? I cannot understand how they can do it at those prices. And then they run discount schemes and an affiliate scheme!!!
Used my hermes. Got everything I ordered. Really impressed with it!
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Since amazon pantry stopped its become really popular over here, our supermarkets were limited and ridiculous price before inflation (we have waitrose, Co op or franchises with Mark ups here)

So having something like thst delivered is really helpful. Just put my prepper friend here onto it

I have a lovely evri/my hermes delivery person so km lucky lol
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
British Red

Post by British Red »

A couple of weeks ago I broke our log splitter. It was ten years old and had received a heck of a workout. One of the guide rods snapped and the hydraulic ram bent under strain.
ImageBroken splitter by English Countrylife, on Flickr

I could get spare parts but parts prices alone were half the original cost of the unit & fitting a replacement ram under spring tension and getting the seals right us not simple. Not too upset as we’ve had ten years hard use out of it. Given we are doing a lot of big stuff nowadays we have upgraded to an 11 ton vertical splitter - it’s a beast!
Image11 ton splitter by English Countrylife, on Flickr

First impressions are that it’s not a tool for occasional users or first timers. It weighs 175 kilos and needs transport wheels and with the ram in operation it’s eight foot tall! However it goes straight through gnarled and twisted grain from crowns, crotches and side limbs. Overall, I think it will get through the backlog!

ImageWood yard by English Countrylife, on Flickr
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Added to the fire prevention prep today it's all well and good having fire extinguishers but what if your not about when something goes wrong... Like most preppers outbuildings they are chock full of "stuff" from tools to fuel and the risks associated with storage and everyday life from a electrical fault to a moment of carelessness leaving something smouldering then shutting the door ..
Screenshot_20220504-195031.png
This has just been screwed to the roof of the outbuilding. It's ment to be good for 6sqm which I measured it a little under that..

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/Y3IQFhH2SrQ

British Red

Post by British Red »

That looks really interesting....
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

British Red wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:56 pm That looks really interesting....
Bit more detail guessed for £26 it's not going to cause the bank manager to come and hunt me down :lol:

https://www.firesafety.uk.com/fire-exti ... WmEALw_wcB