Solid fuel price warning

Homes and Retreats
Arzosah

Re: Solid fuel price warning

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:44 pm
Arzosah wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:15 pm Dragging the thread back to solid fuel - well, to insulation, anyway, my plan for the summer is to use what I've got to insulate. My loft, and my cavity wall insulation, are up to snuff, but underfloor are a *lot* of airbricks, with floorboards with wide gaps sitting on the joists, and only a layer of vinyl and some underlay protecting me.

I have *big* pieces of leftover vinyl, which I can tape together to lay under a kilim. The kilim needs it's corners flattened though, maybe reinforced with canvas so they'll lie flat? And I may fill in about 30% of the air brick holes, there really are too many of them.

After that, we'll see what's next.
Be careful about blocking air bricks. Houses need to breathe, and without airflow, you can get damp, mould and even rot. We were not meant to live in sealed boxes. My dear wife has windows open in January!
Never fear :) I plan on blocking maybe a quarter - when I say there's a lot, I'm really not kidding :twisted:

Another one here in favour of open windows - it's my feet that get freezing, sometimes even on a warm day, in spite of exercising to get the circulation moving.
Winterprep

Re: Solid fuel price rises

Post by Winterprep »

jansman wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:00 pm You started a thread - same topic- 14 April. Sorry if we got cat pics in. Life is serious at the moment, but we need a chill pill sometimes.
Maybe you should follow your own advice :lol:

Thanks BR for the info. Good to know about these things so we can plan accordingly.

Group hugs to everyone.

Ps I’d rather have photos of cute dogs. :D
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Winterprep wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:37 am
jansman wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:00 pm You started a thread - same topic- 14 April. Sorry if we got cat pics in. Life is serious at the moment, but we need a chill pill sometimes.

Thanks BR for the info. Good to know about these things so we can plan accordingly.

Group hugs to everyone.

Well said, Winterprep.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Winterprep wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:37 am

Group hugs to everyone.

Oh dear me, no. Pissing moderators off isn't a great idea, friend. :lol:
itsybitsy

Re: Solid fuel price warning

Post by itsybitsy »

I've merged these two topics - let's keep all comments/thoughts on the price of solid fuel here, please.