Hi everyone

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Bijela

Re: Hi everyone

Post by Bijela »

Preparaid wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:43 am
That's it:
- Short term, safer to stay put waiting for the situation to go back to normal after a few days, all good (Lock-down, snow storm, whatever the emergency...)
- If the situation last more than a few days, towns are more likely to become violent first, people will fight for food, it could get ugly quickly because supply chains are optimised (My understanding is that there is 2 days of food supply in shops in London)
I'm not do sure about 2 days of food supply in shops. With the Just in time delivery systems there would be loads of items not available from when the first delivery is missed. This will cause "victim lines" where the next product soon disappears as people take the next option.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Preparaid wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:18 pm Thanks for the movie recommendations!

I must admit I watch movies like "I am Legend", or "The day after tomorrow" with a certain curiosity about what would be the best thing do in those situations (however unlikely they might look like).

There was a TV series called Jericho which was based on the topic...
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805663/?r ... lmg_act_37
Great fantasy show - should never have been cancelled!
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Excellent series Jericho.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:13 pm my own plan would involve rallying just a few neighbours to fortify our cul de sac. And bugging in as a micro community.....

If society breaks down, the only long term safety will be safety in numbers unless we are very VERY independent.
Yeah you want to barricade the end of the street and have people defend it in shifts. You can also designate one house at the other end as a safe house for anyone particularly vulnerable. As long as people can't get in through the back garden of course.
Word of warning on defence, it's illegal to rig your perimeter so that an intruder could get injured. There are all sorts of laws. Thorny bushes are effective and legal.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Preparaid wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:58 pm Good to meet you all.
Interested in all preping topics, especially related to energy production and storage but also communication and all related skills and tech!
Hope to discuss ideas and challenges.
Cheers,
Mat
Hi, welcome to the forum.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:35 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:13 pm my own plan would involve rallying just a few neighbours to fortify our cul de sac. And bugging in as a micro community.....

If society breaks down, the only long term safety will be safety in numbers unless we are very VERY independent.
Yeah you want to barricade the end of the street and have people defend it in shifts. You can also designate one house at the other end as a safe house for anyone particularly vulnerable. As long as people can't get in through the back garden of course.
Word of warning on defence, it's illegal to rig your perimeter so that an intruder could get injured. There are all sorts of laws. Thorny bushes are effective and legal.
Hi,
Yes. I live in a cul de sac of few houses. We are all on good terms and I honestly think we could be a sound micro-community. We could block the road to vehicles, but a determined gang would soon get through.. I'm aware that rigging any kind of booby trap a-la Kevin in Home Alone would be quite illegal. Thorny bushes take a while to grow :( Back fences are a weak link here.
Thinking longer term into TEOTWAWKI, each part of the housing estate would either merge and gang together, or more likely form rampaging gangs raiding the other streets.
Dog eat dog.

I suppose societal collapse, should it happen, would gain steam at an unregulated rate. Best we can do is keep aware and agile and choose and build allegiances as and when we can. There does come a point where none of us is safe individually or even in communities. Those without will inevitably come after those with. Thus, whatever alliances, never reveal your complete preparedness.

Other than that there is the fallback of stowing away in Jansman's shed
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

:lol: :lol: Which shed? :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:29 pm :lol: :lol: Which shed? :lol:
What? And make myself easy to find.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:40 pm
jansman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:29 pm :lol: :lol: Which shed? :lol:
What? And make myself easy to find.
always welcome here in wales lol,like iv mentioned before when we renovated the place years ago and i built the wall around the place it left a bottle neck,one way in one way out,abit like your cul de sac but we are remote on a plus side lol
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
bucks54

Post by bucks54 »

I don’t imagine legality would count for much in a full societal collapse… ;)