What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Yep b&m :lol: one can simply never have enough lights.. some I've got will make handy barter items too (the ones I've deemed crap) :lol:

Yes the start of a wasp next the shed framing is 2x2" (44*44mm) so it was about the size of a ping-pong ball me and the boy had fun carefully dissecting it such a delicate intricate structure
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Finally finished repairs to my folding caravan .. stated last weekend then the weather changed...

The fridge wouldn't work on LPG so stripped to down (twice) first time I attacked it with the hoover and a paint brush cleaned the cobwebs out the Venturi tube and round the unit in general..
.that failed it was a full strip down found the burner was full of scale and muck cleaned out and it strikes first time every time :mrgreen:

New cooker top and sink top as before I owned it, it got wet and the chip board blew tye screws for the hinge fell out last time I was away. So lids replaced by me made from pine block board which should be a bit more damp resistant. With 3 coats of decent varnish ..

We are going off grid for a week with it soon so it's had a full service, added another usb 12v outlet which gives me 4x usb outlets off tye leisure battery and checked my solar charger is happy and did a load out of none perishable stuff that's been sat in storage and removed all mains kit no point in taking it might as well get the weight down....

Due to the shortage of calor gas I'm doing the unthinkable and taking the crappy bistro stove for cooking on as although calor is a pita to get you can still get disposable cartridges .. a work mate who has given up camping gave me a bag full of bistro stove cartridges so free cooking for a few years when camping :lol:

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Sounds like a proper holibob, Andy, enjoy - love the preps for it.

I had my dehydrator going yesterday, as I was planning to be at home - 2kg of frozen veg defrosted the previous day, and apart from one portion I ate at lunchtime, it's now all packed into a glass jar that used to hold pickled onions (jar and lid both sterilised in the dishwasher).

Steady drip of sorting and tidying - accessibility improving, so much so that after the whole platinum thing, I'll be focussing on the sewing machine. Finally! Though the days will be split half and half between sewing and weeding - garden is insane.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Concentrating now on flour, sugar and tea.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Managed to get my hands on a 12v TV it's a few years old that's the last piece of my keep in touch with the outside world kit plus If the power goes off maintains some normality for the kids :lol: mainly for the caravan above ...

Got another snugpak XL jungle blanket kids find the wool blankets too itchy .... Made a rod for my own back as I got it out when little man was still up.. he has claimed it as his and proudly run off to bed with it ... Now big sister is jealous as she thinks I bought it for him :lol: so currently sat on the sofa with a paw patrol blanket keeping me warm :lol:

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:54 pm Managed to get my hands on a 12v TV it's a few years old that's the last piece of my keep in touch with the outside world kit plus If the power goes off maintains some normality for the kids :lol: mainly for the caravan above ...

Got another snugpak XL jungle blanket kids find the wool blankets too itchy .... Made a rod for my own back as I got it out when little man was still up.. he has claimed it as his and proudly run off to bed with it ... Now big sister is jealous as she thinks I bought it for him :lol: so currently sat on the sofa with a paw patrol blanket keeping me warm :lol:
LTBALFY....... Hide anything you want to keep
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:48 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:54 pm Managed to get my hands on a 12v TV it's a few years old that's the last piece of my keep in touch with the outside world kit plus If the power goes off maintains some normality for the kids :lol: mainly for the caravan above ...

LTBALFY....... Hide anything you want to keep

It's funny He loves camping at 5yo he understands torches and tells his 11yo sister off for wasting batteries .. we had a little panic on a few weeks ago when we lost power at my mum's .. whilst we had a BBQ he didn't like the amount of alarms going off. ... But he has his own torch on his shelf at home with and selection of coloured filters 8-) and unlike his sister he still has them all and batteries in it that work ... He's got the prepper mentality already he wanted to see if bear liked the blanket duvet thrown on the floor :mrgreen:

If it gets really cold the big jungle blanket thrown over the kids duvet will keep them warm me and mum will have the big wool blanket just trying to get on top of the cold weather preps. BEFORE we need them if it gets really bad we each have a decent sleeping bag each too

Next job (over summer) is to add thermal blackout blinds in the living room / master bedroom .. kids room already have blinds and curtains to trap as much heat as possible and should the manure hit the fan blinds plus curtains will cut down any light escaping

pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Don't forget hot water bottles and draught excluders:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... t-excluder
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Funny you said that. This weekend's prep was a hot water bottle and a mini hot water bottle for each of us. Heating is a big challenge as we rent and are not able to fit any solid fuel into the property so these will allow us to stay warm just using a kettle on a BBQ/rocket stove/camp stove.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Already got hot water bottles brand new stashed in the wardrobe