Winter 2022 what are you doing to get ready

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: Winter 2022 what are you doing to get ready

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:12 am The only thing I've thought of so far is to try and window quilts made, we lose a lot of heat from the 3 long windows in the livingroom. No sure who would do them, and bet it will cost the earth :evil:
If you were nearer Lil, Jan would make you some, for sure. I showed her this thread, and she said that the suggested ideas by the ladies are good ones. You’ll sort it I am sure.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I've got thermal blackout blinds up, but they fit exact to the window, inside the frame. I would prefer something wider to stop the draught up the sides. I can't /won't sew, but will think of something. Other problem is we might get the offer of another house before winter.. Either way, we'll sort it out somehow.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

15 tog duvet, curtain pole, spring clamps.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/spring-clamp ... lsrc=aw.ds
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

pseudonym wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:57 pm 15 tog duvet, curtain pole, spring clamps.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/spring-clamp ... lsrc=aw.ds
So .... the spring clamps are to put the duvet onto the curtain pole?
jansman

Post by jansman »

That’s rather a good and practical idea… ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Oh I like that, that would work! tyvm! :mrgreen:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:15 pm So .... the spring clamps are to put the duvet onto the curtain pole?
Yep.
jansman wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:18 pm That’s rather a good and practical idea… ;)
Ta.
diamond lil wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:27 pm Oh I like that, that would work! tyvm! :mrgreen:
You're welcome. :D

If you have curtain poles already, extend them with a broom handle using the spring clamps as well.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

pseudonym wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:45 pm
Arzosah wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:15 pm So .... the spring clamps are to put the duvet onto the curtain pole?
Yep.
Thanks! I'm a bit slow on understanding stuff sometimes. And it's hot :oops: I now have 3 windows with tension rods in, supported by the tension and by hooks that were easy to place. The window that's going to give the trouble with this is the tall window in front of the sink unit in the kitchen. The solution is either to get good at climbing onto the work surface to release the clamps for the day, or doing some kind of Roman blind.

And the spring clamps could be replaced by velcro, or by ties, of paracord or big thick ribbon, take your pick.

Good stuff!
Happyhatter

Post by Happyhatter »

Started knitting a blanket from odds/ends of wool, started quilt too cutting up old clothes that aren't quite good enough for the charity shop
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Not much I can do. I have an extra duvet, lots of warm clothes. I have to have the house reasonably warm because I have two lodgers. I've already topped up the loft insulation and done draught exclusion. I could put bubble wrap on my bedroom window. I don't intend to go out much or buy much. Want to save up a bit. The boiler is 22 years old, but I've been told this make can last 40, and modern boilers are designed to last 10. So, definitely not worth replacing until I have to. It is on a service contract, along with the rest of the central heating system, electrics etc. Of course I have candles, torches, camping stoves, all the usual. I will get the flu jab. I won't have the heating on if the lodgers are both at work. I have some gloves I can wear indoors that allow me to use my trackpad.