What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Frnc »

Speaking of scammers, my mum actually had a long phone call with one, a few months ago. I forget what the line they used was. Fortunately she didn't give out any bank details so it appears no harm was done. Something to do with the computer, which she never uses.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Updated my mac mini today. It's always a bit scary, and I was going to skip this one, but I read that 12.4 contains a lot of security updates on top of the big one in the last update (I think that was 12.3.1). I hate doing updates. Had a couple of failures in the past. Of course I have everything important (which isn't a lot tbh) backed up. The extra problem people like me have is if it suddenly doesn't work with your display, which in my case is my TV, but there are advantages of course, especially if you have bad eyesight. I've never had a problem with the iPhone, touch wood. Almost my prep info is in Notes or Numbers, which are backed up automatically to iCloud and phone.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:33 am Updated my mac mini today. It's always a bit scary, and I was going to skip this one, but I read that 12.4 contains a lot of security updates on top of the big one in the last update (I think that was 12.3.1). I hate doing updates. Had a couple of failures in the past. Of course I have everything important (which isn't a lot tbh) backed up. The extra problem people like me have is if it suddenly doesn't work with your display, which in my case is my TV, but there are advantages of course, especially if you have bad eyesight. I've never had a problem with the iPhone, touch wood. Almost my prep info is in Notes or Numbers, which are backed up automatically to iCloud and phone.
It’s worth doing. This week I have been the victim of identity theft. It’s being sorted , but: I have been directed to Action Fraud, the national police cyber security organisation. I have had to purge my online information etc. It’s been a learning curve, and I shall keep on top, although I found that it’s not my fault. My employer has been hacked, and a quarter of the staff have been compromised! My union rep is coming to see me in the morning…
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Identity Fraud is a complete nightmare. Keeping your computers up to date is one very important step in staying safe.
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:42 pm Identity Fraud is a complete nightmare. Keeping your computers up to date is one very important step in staying safe.
It has been traumatic to say the least. Everyone please look out for yourselves.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Picked up another 30 3m ffp3 masks today can see this winter being back to the masks in shops et all the way it's rising at the moment,

Had a play with the solar panels today even in the overcast periods it was pumping out 1.8a. In full late afternoon sun 6 amp+ from the cheap china controller.. was interesting watching the battery fill and it knocking the ampage down to trickle charge ..
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I hear you Andy re masks, got another two boxes off amazz meself. Lot of people still wearing them indoors up here.
Really wish I'd planted some tatties, I miss my home grown ones, will work on that for next year.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Hit 156 lbs the last few days, which is exactly 40 lb weight loss since I started calorie counting about 15 months ago. Currently aiming for about 1600 cals a day. Still got cough at night from Covid which I got a few days ago, so taking it easy, but looking forward to getting back into exercising soon. And going on bike rides. I didn't do much in the spring due to having a bowel cancer scare, which turned into kidney stone reality, but I have no noticeable symptoms. I've put a balance disk on my Amazon basket for end of the month, to improve my core. I get low back ache when standing. I do the Swimmer exercise which is done lying on your stomach, lifting right arm and left leg, and vice versa. Also pullups assisted by resistance bands.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:21 pm Picked up another 30 3m ffp3 masks today can see this winter being back to the masks in shops et all the way it's rising at the moment,
Had a play with the solar panels today even in the overcast periods it was pumping out 1.8a. In full late afternoon sun 6 amp+ from the cheap china controller.. was interesting watching the battery fill and it knocking the ampage down to trickle charge ..
Good point about the masks. You know what I'm going to have to do now.... Order some, like yours :)
Winter is sure to see a surge in covid, and maybe other respiratory diseases, and I avoided covid religiously so far. It would be silly to get complacent. Plus, if a really bad strain emerges now, we could have a perfect storm. Also FFP3 might become scarce if the threat of nuclear or biological fallout gets attention in the media
Maybe time to buy some disposable hazmat suits in the light of Russian sabre rattling..

My solar setup is now getting mature. Panel fixed in place on the garage roof. I have one Fridge Freezer running on the inverter every day and when I get my new battery, I'm hoping to run it on the inverter 24/7 ( with night-time mains charging). I'm waiting on my new battery, which arrives next week, bluetooth battery monitors, power off alarm, and a couple of £3 test meters, the latter items all on their way from China. It's a close call if I can get enough energy into the system to keep the Freezer powered that way. Monitor and alarm will be essential. On the hunt for more panels, but I won't pay much., target <£50 per 150W of capacity.

I was amused to see one ebay seller selling what was very much a home made 100W lash-up. Went for £155
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295048344971 . I wonder if there's profit to be made in putting such kits together.

Other than that, I've just been pottering in the garden and starting some beer and wine.
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:44 am

Also FFP3 might become scarce if the threat of nuclear or biological fallout gets attention in the media
Maybe time to buy some disposable hazmat suits in the light of Russian sabre rattling..

That was my second thought re the masks..

I've still got half a dozen sets of mod surplus nbc outfits (got them cheap years ago when we was paint stripping mum and dad's house ((outside walls back to natural brick)) and the chemical stripper was erm nasty should have seen how fast the pita neighbor foxtrot oscared when he came to complain about the scaffolding looking unsightly when we poked our heads out in full face respirators :lol:

I've also got a few pairs of these one set lives in the car boot incase I breakdown in good clothes :

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop ... csQAvD_BwE

These are the sort of nbc suits I have a few of

https://www.johnsonsofleeds.co.uk/produ ... ive-green/

£10 for trousers and jacket they make cheap coveralls until the charcoal internal lining starts to crumble they do have a short life on the chemical protection front as tye charcoal liner once exposed to air starts to loose it's effectiveness as it purifies the air around it

Obviously you need boots / gloves / mask to finish the outfit but cheap for chemical resistant overalls ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine