How to convince partner an IBC is required

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Re: How to convince partner an IBC is required

Post by jennyjj01 »

CDT wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:47 pm Hi all.

My partner is very reluctant and dismissive to the idea of any kind of 'prepping'. A year or 2 ago I disguised growing food as a fun little project we could do together and she went along with it, oblivious to the reasoning behind it.

Long story short, any tips on how to convince her or should I just do it while she's out one day :lol:
Hey CDT...... If she sees this post, you might be toast. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:42 pm

I hope Yorkshire Andy hasn't got one, 'cos if he does, I'll end up having to order one off amazon with free prime delivery. :lol: I've lost track of the things I ordered after his recommendation.

Oh hum best get the bank card out :lol:

Screenshot_20220623-204226.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

jansman wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:21 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:58 pm
If Jansman doesn't want one, you don't need one😀

It's
Intermediate Bulk Container by the way
Thank you for explanation.

Just ‘cos I don’t want one, should not put everyone else off. I was trying to put in a compromise.
LOL. I was being silly. If I was discouraging the OP from buying one, it was based on interpreting what he said about his OH not being on board, yet.
Those IBC's are big ugly brutes, better suited to a big 'practical ' garden of the sort that would make his partner freak out :)

I hope Yorkshire Andy hasn't got one, 'cos if he does, I'll end up having to order one off amazon with free prime delivery. :lol: I've lost track of the things I ordered after his recommendation.

We can only guess at what's suitable for CDT: one cubic metre IBC or 10 big water butts.

CDT was saying that he had a 90L butt. I think he might get away with upgrading that to a 250L or 270L one, and then, because he can't sell it, daisy chain his 90L one back to it.... and then later on, upgrade that 90L one again.... and connect it back again. Sneakily growing his row around the house till he's no longer able to get through the door ( Having been locked out by his beloved ) :) :)
No bother. Spoke to the Duchess about this: she said “ apart from the Summerhouse ,and little garden,our property is like a scrapyard!” :lol: mind you,we have a fair stretch of ground. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:24 pm

Oh hum best get the bank card out :lol:

Screenshot_20220623-204226.png
Ya bu66er!
One on gumtree for 40 quid
https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-miscell ... 1435173162

That's actually remarkably cheap compared to a water butt. But no. I'm not buying it.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Just out of interest how much do they cost.
Roughly ☺
Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:04 am Just out of interest how much do they cost.
Roughly ☺
Typically £125 or so for reconditioned, but delivery will usually be costly. at £75 or so on top

https://www.kingfisherdirect.co.uk/1000 ... eel-pallet

The local one I found on gumtree was good as new for £40 and free or cheap delivery was available. So, pre-owned is a decent option. Maybe it's the partners of guys that bought them without permission that are selling them just to get rid. :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Ideal for an allotment, especially if you have a shed roof to collect from.

Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:21 am
Vitamin c wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:04 am Just out of interest how much do they cost.
Roughly ☺
Typically £125 or so for reconditioned, but delivery will usually be costly. at £75 or so on top

The local one I found on gumtree was good as new for £40 and free or cheap delivery was available. So, pre-owned is a decent option. Maybe it's the partners of guys that bought them without permission that are selling them just to get rid. :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Thank you. ☺
Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:21 am
Roughly ☺

A roof to collect from is the way. Mine all collect that way, with the option to fill with the mains. I keep them full at all times, one way or the other, as you never know when water will be needed.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:56 pm
A roof to collect from is the way. Mine all collect that way, with the option to fill with the mains. I keep them full at all times, one way or the other, as you never know when water will be needed.
I till my butts from hosepipe too. Except when there's a hosepipe ban or imminent rain.
Even on a meter, it's only £3.08 per 1000L

CDT

Post by CDT »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:15 am
CDT wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:47 pm Hi all.

My partner is very reluctant and dismissive to the idea of any kind of 'prepping'. A year or 2 ago I disguised growing food as a fun little project we could do together and she went along with it, oblivious to the reasoning behind it. We've gone from a few little plants to 2 large raised beds (2m long x 1m wide) and loads of growing bags and pots. We have tonnes of potatos, onions, carrots, and also tomatos, leeks, rhubarb, strawberries and few other various bits on the go.

Last year (again it took some convincing) but I managed to convince her to let me fit a waterbutt for some rainwater collection. She's gone along with it but now with the garden growing to the size it has the waterbutt just isn't big enough especially with the dry weather currently, so I want to trade the waterbutt up for an IBC but once again she's not convinced by it.

Long story short, any tips on how to convince her or should I just do it while she's out one day :lol:
Hi Craig,
I did jokingly think that you could explain to her that it will be for watering the chickens and pigs that are coming next week.
Don't JFDI. Seriously. You could end up sleeping in, or buried under one of those raised beds.

Having read your posting history, I suspect the issue is not the IBC, but with difference in attitude which still needs working on. My heart goes out to you if you are still struggling to get the partner on board after the last few years. She needs to see the real benefits, and it can be a hard one to sell. You need to be reasonable and ask yourself if you are not being.

How much has she really bought in to the food growing / Good Life aspect. Is it still with embarrassed reluctance, or does she take joy in it and in helping to get rid of all that precious food? How do you justify and manage the massive glut of perishable food? Or hasn't that been a problem yet? If there's even a hint that she thinks you are wasting time, energy and money growing food that you cannot use, then investing in an ugly IBC might be the last straw. It would be the same sin as if you spent all your free time at an allotment and all she got to show for it was a glut of parsnips and rhubarb.

Have you considered getting an allotment? You can be king of the castle there? But that comes with its own relationship risks.

4 square metres of beds and as much again as grow bags doesn't seem enough to justify the IBC for growing, so are you thinking it will be your potable water reserve? And as someone asked, are you on a water meter? That might help the discussion. But even metered water is very cheap. A cubic meter of water costs £3.08 So there's very little financial justification for one.

As to actually getting an IBC. There are members here with big smallholdings who use them, but if you are thinking of having one in a modest suburban garden, that's a big ask of the OH. It's the sort of prep I'd only consider at an allotment. Can't you just expand your row of water butts? Swap the 90L one for 300L and then daisychain the 90L one, which you later upgrade again and daisychain again. :evil: :evil: :evil: ? Grow the array slowly?

Oh.... And Green Algae might be a problem with white IBC. You really don't want that in your drinking water stash.

Anyway, Craig.... How goes your other prep ideas? Did you get acceptance of a massive reserve pantry or does your OH get miffed at the tins of beans behind the sofa, or wherever :roll: ? Did solar get off the ground?
Hey apologies for the slow reply, don't worry I havn't been killed yet.

I do agree the other half and I both have very different opinions on this. I think it stems from our work lives. I'm not massively educated (on paper) so I have generally always done lower paid unstable manual or warehousing work and such and have been on the receiving end of redundancies a few times with companies closing, etc. She on the other hand is extremely well educated and has a very well paying job, so she doesn't see the need to be thrifty, grow your own food, utilise free rainwater etc. I normally have to work 60 hour weeks to earn half what she does haha.

I would have thought when Covid first hit and you couldn't get basic food items from the supermarkets that this may have shown her that it never hurts to have a little bit of self sustainability, but she instead was just quite happy to pay more for stuff online or from Waitrose and what not. We are complete polar opposites....must be my dashing good looks that attracts us :lol: but yeah this is basically the reason that she struggles to get on board with things.

We do have a large garden too so the growing stations dont really take up much space at all. Maybe for now i'll go with what you said and just get a bigger waterbutt or daisychain them. The reason for the IBC consideration was even though the current 90l is fine for watering the planters with the run of warmer weather we're having I find it's enough to water everything once and then reverting back to the hose pipe to continue until we get more rain. Currently we don't tend to have an over run of food from it and if we do have a larger than expected haul I do donate some to our lovely neighbours next door.

As with the other preps again I have my 3 week longer life food stash out of sight out of mind so she doesn't mind that and any solar ideas are all just living on the ideas board for now. I did buy some jerrycans for diesel storage but the fuel prices beat me to it so no point storage diesel when it's practically £2 per litre. Persistence may be the key ha. She does categorise me as a bit of a conspiracy theorist so that maybe doesn't help my cause :lol: