Trama Kit

Medical and Healthcare
WomanOfTheWoods

Re: Trama Kit

Post by WomanOfTheWoods »

It's well worth considering a kit for pets too.

My dog chases and catches anything that moves. When living in the Borders he swallowed wasps, had immediate anaphylactic shock and was losing consciousness.
He was dying. I got him straight into the car and headed the 10 mile journey to the vet. The dog wasn't going to make it so in drastic action mode I used an epipen my son had left in the car. That epipen saved the dog's life.

Now I have my emergency pet kit, including some metacam in case of wasp bites.And Superglue to stop bleeding. Superglue was developed as emergency wound treatment for military use.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

As others have said go and train but to be honest the one and two day courses are often not up to much with too much emphasis on CPR (which in reality rarely works) so you'll more than likely need more than one course. Concentrate on learning how to control/stop blood loss, deal with basic burns and safely immobilizing a person until the cavalry arrives. Keep a stock of OTC meds and if your asthmatic its worth buying a couple of extra Ventolin online which is easy and legal to do now in the UK.

I saw some fantastic 'kits' when I was an active bushcrafter but sadly all to often the people who owned it didn't have clue what to do with it when questioned.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Brilliant going, Woman of the Woods! Really good idea to have a pet First Aid kit. I’ve been looking at doing a cat first aid course in case my kitty gets injured. Done courses and refreshers with Red Cross and St. John’s Ambulance over the years, absolutely recommended.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

WomanOfTheWoods wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:10 pm It's well worth considering a kit for pets too.

My dog chases and catches anything that moves. When living in the Borders he swallowed wasps, had immediate anaphylactic shock and was losing consciousness.
He was dying. I got him straight into the car and headed the 10 mile journey to the vet. The dog wasn't going to make it so in drastic action mode I used an epipen my son had left in the car. That epipen saved the dog's life.

Now I have my emergency pet kit, including some metacam in case of wasp bites.And Superglue to stop bleeding. Superglue was developed as emergency wound treatment for military use.
one of our german shepards does that,bites at wasps until they killed or stunned them,then rubs her head on them when they are on the ground,iv never worked out why either tbh...
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I'd still not use none surgical superglue on a cat / dog / human when you can get hold of surgical stuff / a styptic pencil/ powder

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liquid-Skin%C2 ... 9709&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PetSol-Styptic ... 6829259707

The original superglue was used in Vietnam however it's exothermic on curing and can cause burns later variety based on 2-octyl-cyanoacrylate is used now in modern medicine

For human catastrophic bleeding that can't be controlled by pressure celox is a must have z fold Gauze is easier to use
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
WomanOfTheWoods

Post by WomanOfTheWoods »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:13 pm I'd still not use none surgical superglue on a cat / dog / human when you can get hold of surgical stuff / a styptic pencil/ powder

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liquid-Skin%C2 ... 9709&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PetSol-Styptic ... 6829259707

The original superglue was used in Vietnam however it's exothermic on curing and can cause burns later variety based on 2-octyl-cyanoacrylate is used now in modern medicine

For human catastrophic bleeding that can't be controlled by pressure celox is a must have z fold Gauze is easier to use
Andy, you can get medical grade superglue. However, when my son was a small child and had chronic infantile eczema, I was told by my consultant dermatologist to seal him up with superglue in emergencies when his fingers and wrists would become so badly hacked and bleed until I could get him to hospital,,,,, a 1.5 hr drive away. I'm not talking about "catastrophic bleeding",,,, but something very handy in an emergency
SamVimes

Post by SamVimes »

Frnc wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:03 am
Moorland Prepper wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:58 pm Hi Andy

I suppose the main risk is illness and being unable to get medical help.

Anyone can slip, trip, cut themselves and just have an accident.

I've had no training.

All that we have now are sticking plasters, Germolene, asprins, and similar.

I don't feel that it is enough but I'm not sure what I want.
To start with, you could get something like this
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/St-John-Ambu ... 07VC85N1M/
Plus some eye baths, saline pods. I tend to keep extra plasters and antiseptic cream for day to day use so I don't need to raid the first aid it. I keep extra sterile wipes and gloves. And a bottle of antiseptic rubbing alcohol.

You can buy individual dressings from St John or elsewhere as items reach their expiry dates.
I think you'll find Medtree or SP Services much better priced than St John.
SamVimes

Post by SamVimes »

Nurseandy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:42 pm As Yorkshire Andy & jansman say get trained. Knowing what to do & why is immeasurably better than having a gucci fak and no idea how to use the shiny things inside.
Do a beginners course then a 3 or 5 day course then you'll know what you want in your fak.
Absolutely agree. Start with a standard 3 day First Aid at Work course which covers most things to do before help arrives (or you get yourself to help). The FREC courses are pretty good or you could consider a wilderness First Aid course.