Winter 2022 what are you doing to get ready

How are you preparing
Winterprep

Re: Winter 2022 what are you doing to get ready

Post by Winterprep »

I’m fully stocked on bottled gas. Just need to get a delivery of 4 cube of logs and the wood stores are full. Coal bunker is full at 1500kg and I have 15 x 25kg bags tucked away under cover. Staying warm is covered as is cooking should utilities fail. Just going to continue to add to the food and general stores.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:11 am
jansman wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:22 pm I picked up 2x 4 litres of paraffin today. That’s a price now! I use it for frost protection in our outside loo. I have more ,and this will add to the store.

Have you got power near the privvie?

If so mount one of these under the cistern

https://www.toolstation.com/dimplex-the ... lsrc=aw.ds

Got a thermostat so will only knock on when it's cold enough cost of parafin electric will probably work out cheaper even at it's silly price

Remember my grandad without fail in winter would put a big heat lamp Screenshot_20220703-101033.png

So he could sit in comfort and read the paper in the peace and quiet :lol:
There is power, yes. I have thought of those, but I am cutting back all unnecessary electric use - like many other folks. It’s amazing, though not surprising, how much we were wasting. Another reason is that if we get power cuts, it’s bound to be in cold weather, so my traditional paraffin will continue to work. I don’t heat the greenhouse anymore, so what I have in stock will last for several Winters to come. I shall keep my eyes peeled for the bbq fluid too. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:42 am
There is power, yes. I have thought of those, but I am cutting back all unnecessary electric use - like many other folks. It’s amazing, though not surprising, how much we were wasting. Another reason is that if we get power cuts, it’s bound to be in cold weather, so my traditional paraffin will continue to work. I don’t heat the greenhouse anymore, so what I have in stock will last for several Winters to come. I shall keep my eyes peeled for the bbq fluid too. ;)
We was cutting back then the 19 yo returned from university for the summer :lol: computer running all hours lights left on all over :lol: :evil: think we've just got on top of the laundry mountain he returned with :lol:

I wonder how long stocks of old heating fuels will last in the shops once the lights start flickering :shock:

Same with batteries and torches I got told off for buying more the other day . The wife also discover the 100w panel in the shed which she seemed less impressed about ... Time will tell if I get vindicated :tinfoil
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:04 am
jansman wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:42 am
We was cutting back then the 19 yo returned from university for the summer :lol: computer running all hours lights left on all over :lol: :evil: think we've just got on top of the laundry mountain he returned with :lol:

I wonder how long stocks of old heating fuels will last in the shops once the lights start flickering :shock:

Same with batteries and torches I got told off for buying more the other day . The wife also discover the 100w panel in the shed which she seemed less impressed about ... Time will tell if I get vindicated :tinfoil
I have batteries plugged into my panels right now.I keep picking up alkaline too. Cannot have too many. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

The Anker charger is sat in the middle of the lawn charging a powebank I've used to charge my phone for the past few nights
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:40 am The Anker charger is sat in the middle of the lawn charging a powebank I've used to charge my phone for the past few nights
Not just me then?

Robert Frost.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Edit. Not really a winter prep, think I meant to put this in the normal how are you preparing thread. So, have moved it.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Some guidence on temperatures.
UK govt recommends:
18 °C livingrooms. Slightly warmer may be beneficial if over 65 and/or have existing medical conditions.
18 °C bedrooms. Can be a bit lower if you are under 64 and have decent bedding. Infants: 16-20°C.
21 °C livingrooms for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
16 °C min workplace temp
13 °C min workplace for physically active work

sources
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... winter.pdf
https://www.gov.uk/workplace-temperatures
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:43 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:40 am The Anker charger is sat in the middle of the lawn charging a powebank I've used to charge my phone for the past few nights
Not just me then?
Me three, :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

T'other half has dug our some 12V lighting system had had in a junk pile and is starting to work on installing it so that it will run from a solar charged 12V battery. Hopefully it will be ready for winter...