10 million in severe poverty

For all things financial
WomanOfTheWoods

Re: 10 million in severe poverty

Post by WomanOfTheWoods »

WomanOfTheWoods wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:20 pm Arozah,,, so you are "horrified at my dismissal of so many people"

Let me state the hard facts.

I give a portion of my land entirely free to a young couple to legally live off grid,,, I do this free. I also give them access to all my land resources including water, fuel and home grown food. When I say "free" they pay me a peppercorn rent as this was necessary to give them a lease. But the rent wouldn't buy a cup of coffee in any coffee shop per week.

I contribute to society. I have set up, and organised a lunch club serving home made food to the elderly for 3 years prior to moving North. That lunch club still runs today. I have always treated people with utter respect.

I am a person who seeks solutions...

I share my resources.

Can you please tell me exactly how I have "horrified" you?
I have not, nor will ever dismiss any human being. I simply gave my own person point of how I would not ever take one penny from the state. I did not say others should not take what they call "Entitlements".

What I do is take appropriate action. Now imagine this.... Imagine if more people in society developed self reliance.
I am sorry that your "heart is pounding" but that is the reality of life.
I won't go into my family background in too much detail,, But my granny was born in a tent. Her Father died in a snowstorm. He was found huddled to his horse in a snow drift on Speyside,,, whilst carting goods for a living.
She left school and went on to raise all her siblings. She worked as a servant and the local priest showed her kindness beyond measure, including giving food to her sibling from his own table after she had served the food.

her own son was the first ever person from a travelling background to graduate from a world class university. I won't state what he became as that will identify my family.
I went hawking with my Grandmother as a child.
So please don't give me "horrified" for that says far more about you than it ever does about me.
WomanOfTheWoods

Post by WomanOfTheWoods »

WomanOfTheWoods wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:20 pm Arozah,,, so you are "horrified at my dismissal of so many people"

Let me state the hard facts.

I give a portion of my land entirely free to a young couple to legally live off grid,,, I do this free. I also give them access to all my land resources including water, fuel and home grown food. When I say "free" they pay me a peppercorn rent as this was necessary to give them a lease. But the rent wouldn't buy a cup of coffee in any coffee shop per week.

I contribute to society. I have set up, and organised a lunch club serving home made food to the elderly for 3 years prior to moving North. That lunch club still runs today. I have always treated people with utter respect.

I am a person who seeks solutions...

I share my resources.

Can you please tell me exactly how I have "horrified" you?
I have not, nor will ever dismiss any human being. I simply gave my own person point of how I would not ever take one penny from the state. I did not say others should not take what they call "Entitlements".

What I do is take appropriate action. Now imagine this.... Imagine if more people in society developed self reliance.

And in reply to your statement that you "presume I would be happy my child starved too"... of course I would not have my child starve.....
And the measures I took ensured he thrived in a safe, secure and loving environment..... Just think what you typed please
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

This has been an interesting read and it's covered a lot of ground.

Myself I'm not in favour of free school meals across the board, I am in favour of motivating people into work and out of poverty. The benefits system was designed as a stopgap between employments not a career choice.

If you're in full-time employment and using foodbanks or your kids are going without meals, you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

There are several people near me who don't work "surviving" or rather THRIVING on benefits, I certainly don't get to go on holiday practically every year.

We had a young lady stay with us briefly where I work who looked down on my choice of footwear exclaiming "they're s***, I'm on benefits and I've got better trainers". For me they protect my feet from the ground and are comfortable, for her they're a status symbol... Priorities!

I've gone without, I prioritise what my money gets spent on, the only credit I have is my mortgage, my girls went to a rough school and have moved on to a good 6th form because we've encouraged and supported then... we've paid for them not the state, they're our kids, they were our choice.

I have received benefits and I'm not ashamed to admit it, like I said previously they're a stopgap between employments because s*** happens.

I've experienced extreme hunger (prior to settling down) my way out of that situation was to join the army and grow up (a little bit not too much).

I've experienced financial hardship having the cash cheques for money we didn't have to pay bills (we got ourselves out of that mess).

I'm not without sympathy but I'm also not blind and see people prioritise the wrong things.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Okay then: This thread appears to have swerved into the camp of The Welfare Shamers and Send- em- To- The -Workhouse- Brigade.

So it’s locked.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:07 am Okay then: This thread appears to have swerved into the camp of The Welfare Shamers and Send- em- To- The -Workhouse- Brigade.

So it’s locked.
And sanctimonious. You forgot sanctimonious.

Some people appear to be lacking a 'sensitivity chip' eh? Clearly, if you're in a position of vulnerability and hardship then IT'S YOUR FAULT and you need to suck it up and magic your way out of it. FFS. :roll: