Defib finder

Medical and Healthcare
Stonecarver

Defib finder

Post by Stonecarver »

I think this to me is one of the most important sites out there
Shows you were in your local area there are defib machines that can actually give you a very good chance of survival if you have heart attack and treated quickly. Considering ambulance waiting times.

https://www.defibfinder.uk/
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Defib finder

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Problem is last time I called 999 for a suspect heart attack I was on hold for 20 minutes before I got through.. so your looking at 20 minutes plus to get the code to get into a defib and then you have to get back to the patient ...
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

A recent visit to the Urgent Care Centre told us what dialling 999 means; Nothing! I apologised to the Nurse /Practitioner ,as I couldn’t get a GP appointment.He wasn’t concerned at all,as “getting a GP appointment is as lucky as winning the euromillions “ :? “as for dialling 999, you will be quicker to drive the patient to hospital.” He said.

As for AED units ,or Defibrillator, that 999 call is the Key to using it.You’ve only got about eight to ten minutes without ANY treatment. This is where first aid training is absolute gold!

Five years ago ,my daughters ex husbands grandfather ( that’s complicated :lol:) had a cardiac arrest. His son lived next door.He shot round and dialled 999 ,and they gave him the AED code.That was when 999 worked. He sprinted 600 yards to the co op,where the nearest AED was.When he got there it was gone! :o It had been vandalised ( yes, they want stringing up) and the co op kept it inside - but they were closed! His dad died. :(

Nobody in that household had first aid training.None at all. Had someone been able to do chest compressions and rescue breaths ,rather than hoping/ relying on the defibrillator,there may have been a chance of survival by the time the medical professionals got there.

That’s not to say that an AED is no good. It’s a great piece of kit,IF you are on top of it,and someone can perform first aid at the same time. Not so long back,my boss had a cardiac arrest,and I did just that,whilst a manager went to the nearby AED point. Fortunately,we got him going by the time the defibrillator was fetched back.

Right now,in 2022, with the NHS as it is, personal First Aid Training has never been more important
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

It's worth paying attention when your out and about to larger retail outlets that have AED units unlocked locally

Asda has one by the self service tills in a unlocked box
Tesco it's hung behind the customer service desk
Morrisons it's by the exit
Bq it's hung in the customer returns booth

Biggest battle is
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... lator.html

Think if it was immediate family I'd use force to retrieve the AED and deal with the fall out later ...

Likewise the cabinets round here look secure but knowing the locks you could get a jemmy in and bend the box open much like the scores who knick them ...

Don't forget the other services police and fire also Cary defibs In some vehicles / stations..even if the local cop shop is shut your likely to get attention one way or another

Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

when i had my two heart attacks in febuary,i knew 999 was a waste of time and managed to get hold of the wife(which in its self was a miracle),so i managed to get myself to the top of the drive and await her arrival to rush me to the local a and e...
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Crikey that’s just shocking! It’s so frightening that the NHS is crumbling like this. So few people know first aid, too. I always remember the day that motivated me to start training: I was having coffee with a friend in a cafe. It was almost empty, the lunchtime crowds long departed. Suddenly there was a horrible scream from behind the counter and one of the servers collapsed on the floor. My mind raced - too young for heart attack, no apparent bleeding.. maybe electric shock? Too much time was ticking by and I didn’t know what to do. I looked around for help and drew closer to the patient looking for danger. By some miracle a man who was nearby had heard the scream and said “It’s ok, I’m a retired paramedic” and proceeded to treat her. I felt so stupid. Had that man not been there it would have been far worse and the friend who as with me just panicked and sat there doing nothing, then went home because she couldn’t cope. That was over 20 years ago. I swore to myself I’d never be in that situation again and signed up for a course. Sadly it’s been put to use in many circumstances and I’ve been the only person who did anything.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Mad Scientist wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:37 pm Crikey that’s just shocking! It’s so frightening that the NHS is crumbling like this.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/16569 ... it-shelter

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Rural villages round here have defibs in old phone boxes.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:50 pm Rural villages round here have defibs in old phone boxes.
It’s the same round here.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Great way of using obvious landmarks as storage for lifesaving defibs. The school I work at has a couple as well, batteries regularly checked.