What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by jansman »

Still picking up firewood,as much as possible. Bought some more chains for the saws,and more bowsaw blades for when the juice is scarce or too dear..Also ,all animals feed.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Evergog

Post by Evergog »

Solar lighting now all around property. Got a couple of used water butts off marketplace that I now need to fit. Picked up some plastic twinwall for the old greenhouse off eBay - partly so kids don’t impale themselves and partly to turn it back to a useable space for growing.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Evergog wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:30 pm Solar lighting now all around property. Got a couple of used water butts off marketplace that I now need to fit. Picked up some plastic twinwall for the old greenhouse off eBay - partly so kids don’t impale themselves and partly to turn it back to a useable space for growing.

One thing I've done is effectively double up on solar garden lighting where possible then I can run one light against the other on long dark days you find most run out of power without a few days charging most solar lights are designed to work well in China with lots of sun not some little rock in the Atlantic with our weather / long dark night's :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:12 pm And on a personal note, I just tested positive for covid - 2nd pink line arrived after 2 minutes. I'm not a happy bunny, and I'm off to bed, taking my electric fan, my kettle, my phone and my mug and a couple of teabags with me. I may be gone for some time, though not for the same reason as Captain Oates :roll:
Get well soon!!

In terms of preps this week, I've reduced my mobile phone bill for the next year (after a palaver, EE don't make it easy), and bought some fake (and cheap) doc marten shoes for the winter. A couple of days ago I picked up a pair of really good quality sunglasses for not many pennies - they are much better than my previous ones that had started to break. My driving visibility is so much better as they reduce brightness and glare rather than just darken everything!

I'm off to town in a bit and I'll do an Aldi and Savers run. I'll also investigate Iceland for topping up my freezer.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Le Mouse wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:11 am , and bought some fake (and cheap) doc marten shoes for the winter.
Going by my last pair of genuine ones yours will probably last longer . They are not what they were 20 years ago....

I used to sell them the quality has gone down the pan

Evergog

Post by Evergog »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:33 pm
Evergog wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:30 pm Solar lighting now all around property. Got a couple of used water butts off marketplace that I now need to fit. Picked up some plastic twinwall for the old greenhouse off eBay - partly so kids don’t impale themselves and partly to turn it back to a useable space for growing.

One thing I've done is effectively double up on solar garden lighting where possible then I can run one light against the other on long dark days you find most run out of power without a few days charging most solar lights are designed to work well in China with lots of sun not some little rock in the Atlantic with our weather / long dark night's :lol:

Good idea - noticed last night the cats seemed to have great fun triggering them every 5 minutes!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Evergog wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:36 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:33 pm

Good idea - noticed last night the cats seemed to have great fun triggering them every 5 minutes!
Black insulation tape and mask the lower portion of the PIR lense

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Le Mouse wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:11 am
Arzosah wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:12 pm And on a personal note, I just tested positive for covid - 2nd pink line arrived after 2 minutes. I'm not a happy bunny, and I'm off to bed, taking my electric fan, my kettle, my phone and my mug and a couple of teabags with me. I may be gone for some time, though not for the same reason as Captain Oates :roll:
Get well soon!!

In terms of preps this week, I've reduced my mobile phone bill for the next year (after a palaver, EE don't make it easy), and bought some fake (and cheap) doc marten shoes for the winter. A couple of days ago I picked up a pair of really good quality sunglasses for not many pennies - they are much better than my previous ones that had started to break. My driving visibility is so much better as they reduce brightness and glare rather than just darken everything!

I'm off to town in a bit and I'll do an Aldi and Savers run. I'll also investigate Iceland for topping up my freezer.
I found buying sunglasses a bit tricky. Some get darker when there's more light. These are photochromatic. Some reflect light. The most well known anti-reflective are polarising. But I've seen some that don't say polarising, but say they relect infra-red. I'm not sure if this is another name for polarising or not. There do seem to be different types of anti-reflective glasses. After a search I found this:
Polarized lenses minimize glare in bright, sunny, outdoor settings
Anti-reflective lenses minimize glare in dim lighting indoors and at night
Regarding glare, just be aware that if they are polarising, they do a great job of reducing glare, but that means you can't see water or ice as easily, as you see that best when sunlight is reflecting off it. So they are not recommended for cyclists or motorcyclists. For cycling, I got a pair that are photochromatic but not polarising. Took me ages to find. They are Alpina Variolux. They also have a rough surface on the inside so they don't get fogged up if I have a buff over my mouth. If I was driving in the early evening in autumn I might want polarising or anti-reflective because when the sun's low it can blind me as my eyes are light sensitive.
DUCO do some cheap polarised sunglasses for £24 on Amazon that look good.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:21 am Going by my last pair of genuine ones yours will probably last longer . They are not what they were 20 years ago....

I used to sell them the quality has gone down the pan
Exactly. I'll be less upset about a £25 pair of shoes disintegrating than a pair of £100+. And they do actually look more sturdy. Wider in the toes too which is important for me as I have developed flat feet in recent years and can no longer wear anything with even a remotely narrow toe without pain. My last pair of genuine docs lasted about a year which is rubbish. I hope I get more wear out of these.
Frnc wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:04 am
Polarized lenses minimize glare in bright, sunny, outdoor settings
Anti-reflective lenses minimize glare in dim lighting indoors and at night
Regarding glare, just be aware that if they are polarising, they do a great job of reducing glare, but that means you can't see water or ice as easily, as you see that best when sunlight is reflecting off it. So they are not recommended for cyclists or motorcyclists.
That's quite interesting about the water thing. Good to know! Thank you :)
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Got this lot for under £15 today and some veg off olio so did some batch cooking today for the freezer ready for back to work in September
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island