What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
steptoe

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by steptoe »

This week i am sorting 12v small sealed lead acid batteries into usb power banks for lighting and may be a few other ideas as they spring up .

I am also working on the veggies in the garden and cleanign the poly tunnel ready for the winter veggies and just havested the grapes in there , still have an issue with the achilies so having to work on crutch and it is blooming hard work lol how many times i have nearly tripped myself forgeting it is on my arm as i move lol .

With winter coming we start to sit in bed at night and plan next years grow i have already taken advise from here and planted over 50 egypian walking onions and welsh onions lol yer yer i know but i am thinking large haul of small bulblets to pickle lol .

Wishing you all well this halloween enjoy the autumn winter will soon kick in and i think it is going to be a harsh one for some, and anyone in my local area if you get stuck shout out if we can offer help always willing to help like minded people in these rough times , we all need to watch each others backs now days .

Talking of that upping home security as well extra locks and security measures on doors and gardens
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

steptoe wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:30 pm This week i am sorting 12v small sealed lead acid batteries into usb power banks for lighting and may be a few other ideas as they spring up .

I am also working on the veggies in the garden and cleanign the poly tunnel ready for the winter veggies and just havested the grapes in there , still have an issue with the achilies so having to work on crutch and it is blooming hard work lol how many times i have nearly tripped myself forgeting it is on my arm as i move lol .

With winter coming we start to sit in bed at night and plan next years grow i have already taken advise from here and planted over 50 egypian walking onions and welsh onions lol yer yer i know but i am thinking large haul of small bulblets to pickle lol .

Wishing you all well this halloween enjoy the autumn winter will soon kick in and i think it is going to be a harsh one for some, and anyone in my local area if you get stuck shout out if we can offer help always willing to help like minded people in these rough times , we all need to watch each others backs now days .

Talking of that upping home security as well extra locks and security measures on doors and gardens
Im no quack but a few years ago I buggered My Achilles a decent pair of combat boots offered me lots of support of laced up tight
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
skaterayd

Post by skaterayd »

This week: Mostly picking up water and food storage containers from various sources.
Thankfully the other half works in an industry where she can get me trade pricing on some 10 and 25l plastic Jerry Cans for water...so not a bad start

Food storage next...
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:43 pm
steptoe wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:30 pm This week i am sorting 12v small sealed lead acid batteries into usb power banks for lighting and may be a few other ideas as they spring up .

Im no quack but a few years ago I buggered My Achilles a decent pair of combat boots offered me lots of support of laced up tight
Thanks andy i never thought of that i have been looking at some new boots as a treat from the wife for christmas i got her some great ones a few years ago as she suffers with her ankles due to the arthritus and i got a good pair of hiking boots with high ankle support i will be getting them out the cupboard for the new few weeks i think as they are new so can wear round the house and not get told off for mudd lol .

I am looking at some gortex boots to now lol i know we always want better but i say if i have the sapre money and it makes life a little easier it has to be worth it
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

steptoe wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:24 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:43 pm

Thanks andy i never thought of that i have been looking at some new boots as a treat from the wife for christmas i got her some great ones a few years ago as she suffers with her ankles due to the arthritus and i got a good pair of hiking boots with high ankle support i will be getting them out the cupboard for the new few weeks i think as they are new so can wear round the house and not get told off for mudd lol .

I am looking at some gortex boots to now lol i know we always want better but i say if i have the sapre money and it makes life a little easier it has to be worth it
Grisport do good hiking boots at very reasonable prices. I got a pair of these for about £85, they are £95 now. I don't think they have a membrane [edit - they do have a membrane], but you don't need it with leather. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015Y4WCDY/
They are very light in weight, and very comfy from the start.
They do have more stiching than I'd like, but it's not like I go hillwalking these days. Water can get in easier where there is stiching, but obiously you apply a bit of wax anyway.
Last edited by Frnc on Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

It must be boot week! I have just bought myself a new pair of work boots to replace my old Magnums. I haven't owned a pair of shoes for about 20 odd years and neither do I own a pair of trainers. I wear big chunky boots if I go out and combat/work boots day to day. Up until 2 years ago I spent the majority of time barefoot inside and out and only wore foot wear outdoors between November and March. Sadly I have now messed up my feet due to walking barefoot on hard surfaces and have resorted to permanently wearing work boots with Sorbothane insoles. Most of the weekend has been spent re-organising the store room which I am ashamed to admit had got into a bit of a mess. All sorted now and looks much better. Each month on pay day I buy something to add to the stores which is not food and this has been mostly re-chargeable batteries recently, the same goes at the end of the month if there is a spare tenner.
Growing old disgracefully!
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

Interesting about Grisport - I actually ordered some of their walking shoes this week! They look very like the Mephisto Trampolins I have worn for the last 20 years and had resoled three times but which are now on their last legs. Mephisto don't make that style any more so I was very pleased when I saw the Grisport ones. I'm having real problems at the moment - because of my arthritis in my hip I'm putting more weight on my left leg and the ligaments in my foot have spread so that I now have a full size difference lengthwise between the two feet. Shoes that have been old favourites for years are now too small for the left foot but a bigger size is too big for the right. So I'm looking for styles which I can put orthotics in to try and get a reasonable fit Really hoping the Grisports do the trick. And it helps they are made in Italy not the Far East
jansman

Post by jansman »

Went over to youngest daughter yesterday for Sunday dinner. Very nice too! Her and chap live in a huge place ,which obviously,is an issue to heat. We ate in the enormous kitchen ,which was warm because of oven. At one end is a big settee and tv,so a nice set up! Anyhow, when we left,they move into a tiny living room that has a bed in there,and tv too. There’s enough room for the dogs to Kip at the end too. She had been on ‘Freecycle’ and got an infra red panel to fit on the wall there. It is a German 600w one ,like the one we paid ‘money’ for five years ago! :(

Anyhow,she tells me that will be perfect in their mini - bedroom/ living room if it gets really cold, and frankly,probably won’t be needed in there. Allegedly,the agent who inspects them ,says that a policy of tenancy is to keep the place at a real temperature. She told her that “ had the rent not gone up,perhaps central heating could go on ,so get stu** ed! “. Mum did say that it was obvious she was so like me! :lol:

Joking aside, they are prepping for Winter,and are now able to stash some grub for themselves and dogs in advance. I gave her battery powered LED lights,which they have set up and are ready to use instead of mains electricity. She told me that this months electric bill has been helped with the £66 government help,so will save money for when that stops! She listened to me! :D I am so glad that they are less vulnerable than they have been. My ‘wealthy ‘eldest daughter doesn’t concern me I am pleased to say.

So,yesterday’s conversation between the ladies spoke about Christmas presents. They both know the word Christmas is a four letter swear word to me ,jokingly, and I have no part! The general opinion across the female side is to provide simple presents,and practical too. Youngest has done it already,bless her,and has no more to spend. Excellent! Mrs J will be getting them hot water bottles,fleecy blanket/ throws and the like. This has to be the most practical and economical situation I can remember.

Today is a steady day today for myself. No work this week,but that is great ,as already my long - term cough is getting somewhat better. I have a vehicle full of logs to shift first off. My youngest daughter’s neighbour took down a birch tree,and she told him I would take it away! It’ll take another two journeys,but I have errands in Leicester,so I will tie it in to save petrol. I’ll be getting some fishing in this week,along with some pigeon shooting at the end of the village. I can sell the pigeon breast to a posh local butcher I do work for. Rabbits too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

jansman wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:28 am They both know the word Christmas is a four letter swear word to me
Oh me too!! I cancelled as much Xmas as I could a couple of years ago when I realised that the panic attacks I took were always just pre-xmas. ( my daughter once thought I was having a heart attack and took some persuading not to take me to hospital).
Part of the problem is that from late sept. onwards I have a mountain of family birthdays to wade through. So presents for adult children to and from were cancelled and we concentrate on grandchildren, 10 of them now.
This year parents have been told I'm taking the easy road out. I've bought them each some warm PJs will add some sweets and a card with money. This will please the older ones, money is always the best gift ;) and parents can see that they and the younger ones get what they really need or want rather than me guessing and getting it wrong. They may even get more for the money after xmas anyway. Adults will get a token gesture scented candle Job done.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Christmas is very small for me now, except that my new great-niece has added a whole person :) most of us have agreed that presents are consumables - wine, chocolates, it was posh popcorn last year. Money is ok for most of them, so I don't need to be the one to buy them practical stuff though the torches I bought last year were hugely appreciated, they were also quite fun :)

Near-term preps: I've had a huge tin of emulsion paint around forever, there's quite a bit of bare plaster still around the house, or half painted stuff. But there's a leak at the bottom of the "tin", ie plastic is slowly splitting. It's in a huge plastic bowl, so no worries on that score, but it will need to be used before it goes too much more, so there are no pretty craft projects for me this week, as I'd planned. Painting. Oh well ...