Small/cheap equipment

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Re: Small/cheap equipment

Post by jansman »

I don’t get stressed about ‘power’ of batteries. The simple use for them ( for us) means we can power torches/ lamps or radios. I keep everything simple. As power cuts progress , and it’s my belief they will become more common , then simple ways of dealing them will be the way forward.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:15 pm I don’t get stressed about ‘power’ of batteries. The simple use for them ( for us) means we can power torches/ lamps or radios. I keep everything simple. As power cuts progress , and it’s my belief they will become more common , then simple ways of dealing them will be the way forward.

My concern is having to charge them all back up again :lol: or rather the time if I'm working whilst the juice is on .. I was joking with the boss the other week of me charging my torch up at work that if we get power cuts I'm reserving all the sockets..... (I had used the torch at work whilst replacing some light fittings in the "bunker" it's a old mod bomb store .....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:15 pm I don’t get stressed about ‘power’ of batteries. The simple use for them ( for us) means we can power torches/ lamps or radios. I keep everything simple. As power cuts progress , and it’s my belief they will become more common , then simple ways of dealing them will be the way forward.
I doubt anyone stresses about 'power' of batteries. It's just that with a level of understanding, we can get the best out of them as tools and get the best bang for our buck when buying them. It's knowledge to develop now, while we are in the pre-purchase stage. We need to know which ones to grab and where to get them before TSHTF. Post crisis, Batteries could be the next currency alongside baked beans and rice.
Knowing the difference between a rubbish chinese knockoff and a quality Japanese Eneloop could be the difference between your drawer full of AA cells lighting your home dimly for a couple of hours or lighting brightly for days. Unusual batteries like the one Andy ordered come in capacities between 600mAh at £7 (RUBBISH) and 2600mAh at £3.59 which will last >4 times as long.... In the right device.
Guys like Yorkshire Andy will be the go-to experts when we need to know what to order and what to avoid..
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:07 pm

My concern is having to charge them all back up again :lol: or rather the time if I'm working whilst the juice is on .. I was joking with the boss the other week of me charging my torch up at work that if we get power cuts I'm reserving all the sockets..... (I had used the torch at work whilst replacing some light fittings in the "bunker" it's a old mod bomb store .....
Mine get charged , whilst we have power of course. If / when we get power cuts, we have disposable batteries. The main thing is that our needs in a power cut will be simple. We will be happy in front of one of the stoves, with light, the radio and grub.

Simple is good.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:37 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:07 pm

Mine get charged , whilst we have power of course. If / when we get power cuts, we have disposable batteries. The main thing is that our needs in a power cut will be simple. We will be happy in front of one of the stoves, with light, the radio and grub.

Simple is good.
Oh yes im liking the new Lidl dab radio... Rechargeable / alkaline / usb (adaptor or power bank ) need to do a run test at some point the cheap power bank must induce RF interference as the dab drops out ... No issue on FM
.. I've got a ferrite loaded micro usb lead somewhere but I might get in trouble if I wake the wife up looking for it :lol:

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Ohhh 😲. I've got some in a box in the under bed drawer but the boss is in bed ... the Anker power bank works fine however :mrgreen:
Screenshot_20221107-215727.png

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Glow in the dark tape / stickers can be a literal life saver.. it's used in theaters to mark the edge of the stage / steps. To industrial areas to mark escape walk ways et all

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174854147864 ... R7DPmcSKYQ

Home use...

Marking the stairs?

Marking the little step between the lounge and kitchen you always stub your toes on?

Marking door ways ?
Screenshot_20221107-203717.png

Marking kit (strip on a fire extinguisher / fak )

Marking the location on of lanterns / torches / push lights (wrap a bit round the torch for example)
Screenshot_20221107-203709.png

Marking loft / cellar hatches? This is 25mm grip tape the 2 little bits mark the spring bars of the ladder that pose a trip hazard
15033581124_ed29d5ec26_z.jpg
15033581124_ed29d5ec26_z.jpg (7.11 KiB) Viewed 210 times

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:21 pm
I doubt anyone stresses about 'power' of batteries. It's just that with a level of understanding, we can get the best out of them as tools and get the best bang for our buck when buying them. It's knowledge to develop now, while we are in the pre-purchase stage. We need to know which ones to grab and where to get them before TSHTF. Post crisis, Batteries could be the next currency alongside baked beans and rice.
Knowing the difference between a rubbish chinese knockoff and a quality Japanese Eneloop could be the difference between your drawer full of AA cells lighting your home dimly for a couple of hours or lighting brightly for days. Unusual batteries like the one Andy ordered come in capacities between 600mAh at £7 (RUBBISH) and 2600mAh at £3.59 which will last >4 times as long.... In the right device.
Guys like Yorkshire Andy will be the go-to experts when we need to know what to order and what to avoid..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115558730797 ... McQAvD_BwE

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

just wondering if anuone knows of a place to get the cheap little bistro stoves i have most types of cooker but just thought if i have one of these in the bedroom we can have our tea if the power cuts happen

Ok i know andy might know lol i think andy i am going to change you name andy the oracle lol , now do you look anything like johnny vegas