Long time survivalist/prepper, new to this forum- hello from Oxfordshire

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
steptoe

Re: Long time survivalist/prepper, new to this forum- hello from Oxfordshire

Post by steptoe »

see my arguemnt to global warming is so what do we all go back to living in caves walk everywhere and then what , humans will always what luxury , i also don't like talking about it because i laugh at these kids telling us we are wrong when it is them that want faster planes and cars that burn more fuel and them that want designer clothes that make tonnes of carbon to make them that want the latest phone again tonnes of carbon to make and so on .
I remember glass bottles that we gave back to be reused , or paper bags deoderant was called a wash with a smell bar of soap and so on .

But back to global warming do you think the human race will be here in a thousand years i think not i think it will be lucky to see another 100 the way things are go so again whats all the worry for
XRS001

Post by XRS001 »

The problem with the climate emergencis the speed of change.

The climate has changed before, but over geologic time and so plants and animals have evolved to meet the changes. Climate change in 300 years is the catastrophe. This is habitat loss for humans. It takes a paradigm shift to understand how we adapt to surviving this.

I have looked at posts on foraging in this group and seen what some people think. The post Typha latifolia or reedmace is concerning from a survival point of view this is a plant revealed by indigenous people from Siberia to North America it can survive -40 - +40°C its a perennial and almost the entire plant is edible. In a very short while it will not be possible to grow wheat, rice or maize at scale. The collapse of global agriculture will cause a global famine. While reedmace may grow in stinky mud at times that does not detract from its nutritional value as a staple.

How long humans survive is dependent on their ability to adapt & survive extreme heat.
jansman

Post by jansman »

steptoe wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:21 pm see my arguemnt to global warming is so what do we all go back to living in caves walk everywhere and then what , humans will always what luxury , i also don't like talking about it because i laugh at these kids telling us we are wrong when it is them that want faster planes and cars that burn more fuel and them that want designer clothes that make tonnes of carbon to make them that want the latest phone again tonnes of carbon to make and so on .
I remember glass bottles that we gave back to be reused , or paper bags deoderant was called a wash with a smell bar of soap and so on .

But back to global warming do you think the human race will be here in a thousand years i think not i think it will be lucky to see another 100 the way things are go so again whats all the worry for
:lol: :lol: Spot on Steptoe! Couldn’t agree more. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

XRS001 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:01 pm
Frnc wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:13 pm
XRS001 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:05 pm
I was also ignoring Aerosol Masking.
About half a degree I think. Yes, you have to add that to the 1.2 to see where we really are headed.

For anyone not familiar...when we burn FF, we emit dirty particles. All but one typeblock sunlight and cause cooling. As we stop using FF, the dimming/cooling will decrease, so warming will increase. But of course if we don't stop using FF, warming will get a lot more. So basically we caused 1.75° warming and 0.5° temporary cooling. The dimming effect is short term, like a couple of years. CO2 stays up there, heating the planet, for hundreds or thousands of years.
Proff Jame E Hansen estimates it takes 1-3 days for the masking to fall out of the atmosphere
Scientific American says volcanic eruptions can dim sunlight for years.

"Volcanoes are a wild card for climate change - they cannot be predicted and big eruptions, most recently of Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines in 1991, can dim global sunshine for years."
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ng-hiatus/
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

XRS001 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:23 pm The problem with the climate emergencis the speed of change.

The climate has changed before, but over geologic time and so plants and animals have evolved to meet the changes. Climate change in 300 years is the catastrophe. This is habitat loss for humans. It takes a paradigm shift to understand how we adapt to surviving this.

I have looked at posts on foraging in this group and seen what some people think. The post Typha latifolia or reedmace is concerning from a survival point of view this is a plant revealed by indigenous people from Siberia to North America it can survive -40 - +40°C its a perennial and almost the entire plant is edible. In a very short while it will not be possible to grow wheat, rice or maize at scale. The collapse of global agriculture will cause a global famine. While reedmace may grow in stinky mud at times that does not detract from its nutritional value as a staple.

How long humans survive is dependent on their ability to adapt & survive extreme heat.
Thank you, exactly.
XRS001

Post by XRS001 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:56 pm
XRS001 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:03 pm
I think there is an urban harvest in Oxford, mainly apples which are juiced. There are at least 7 community orchards. I know where there are loads of damsons annually and an annual harvest of Chicken of the woods fungi which is tasty and easily dried.

I love skips
I still don't understand community orchards. There's a local one, but who has harvesting rights?
Go and talk to them and ask.
XRS001

Post by XRS001 »

steptoe wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:21 pm see my arguemnt to global warming is so what do we all go back to living in caves
Why move out of your bricks & mortar cave?

The people most to blame for climate change are the billionaires, politicians and industrialists.

You won't draw me into an argument about climate change & you can't tell someone who has spent 2 decades following and learning the science behind it. Its well established fact that oil & coal use have been the cause of our predicament.

Do we need to walk everywhere? When oil becomes scare & in short supply yes. Get used to these hardships now and they won't be hardships when the occur. I have never owned a car so that hardship will never affect me. My emergency plans do not involve vehicles.
Last edited by XRS001 on Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

XRS001 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:01 am
steptoe wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:21 pm see my arguemnt to global warming is so what do we all go back to living in caves
Why move out of your bricks & mortar cave?

The people most to blame for climate change are the billionaires, politicians and industrialists.

You won't draw me into an argument about climate change & you can't tell someone who has spent 2 decades following and learning the science behind it. Its well established fact that oil & coal use have been the cause of our predicament.

Do we need to walk everywhere? When oil becomes is in short supply yes. Get used to these hardships now and they won't be hardships when the occur. I have never owned a car so that hardship will never affect me. My emergency plans do not involve vehicles.
hi not a subject i will argue about either but come on so what do we do what is the fix go back to pre coal and fuel use go back to times where people froze to death in there homes , see i love the people who spout off about oh it is the last generation that caused it and so on , but it was not me that used loads of plastic or wanted all these things or flew all over the world at the drop of a hat no but the young want to travel here and there flying all the time it is funny when i was kid and someone went on a plane it was a huge thing tell me how many kids these days don't fly somewhere by the time they are 18 .
See people rant and glue themselves to roads and paint buildings how is that helping figure it , anyway like i say no one comes up with a figure
XRS001

Post by XRS001 »

If it wasn't for XRs protests you probably wouldn't have a clue that there's a climate crisis. I know you don't like Greta, but she has put the climate crisis in the public domain- a little and very intelligent teenage girl.

No one is blaming you for this crisis. We are all responsible. We have all benefitted from coal and oil. But the reality is that the world is over populated and oil and coal are destroying your only home and the politicians, industrialists and billionaires want to keep it quiet. Why because they don't care about us. We are all in this together whether we loke it or not.
XRS001

Post by XRS001 »

There is no fix. Glacial melt will not stop. It will get hotter each year and this civilisation will probably collapse.