What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:21 am Have saved that link Andy ta. JM I have a system too. I take the housekeeping out of the bank and spend it. When I run out, I stop spending and we eat off the bottom of the fridge :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
As I said ,we all have our ways. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Bought some more gold sovereigns, which upon arrival will magically disappear in a tragic boating accident. ;)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

pseudonym wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:01 pm Bought some more gold sovereigns, which upon arrival will magically disappear in a tragic boating accident. ;)
I wouldn't take them boating, put them somewhere safe!
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Frnc wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:36 pm
pseudonym wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:01 pm Bought some more gold sovereigns, which upon arrival will magically disappear in a tragic boating accident. ;)
I wouldn't take them boating, put them somewhere safe!

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷
Watched a gangster movie the chap got a plastic mold for a concrete pig garden ornament put his stash in the pig and the pig in his mums back garden .
Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Post by jansman »

:lol: Be a similar boating accident to where mine ended up!

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I have a question about the whole gold and silver thing.

If I buy Brittanias from the Royal Mint they will cost me about £32/oz once VAT and post is factored in. If I sell them back to the mint they pay spot rate which is sub £20/oz. So the price of silver is going to have to increase 50% before I break even.

Similarly I have some scrap silver as I make hobby jewellery. But if I sell it back to the silver scrap supplier I will at best get 50% of the spot rate, probably less as I am not registered trade. I recycle my own into fresh makes where I can as it doesn't make sense to sell it back and buy special casting grain unless I cannot be certain I have acheived "sterling grade".

I like the concept of having some PMs around instead of numbers in the bank or bits of paper but this does not make a lot of sense to me.

So is your gold and silveractually an investment or simply a hedge against banking collapse which may eventually break even?
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:43 pm I have a question about the whole gold and silver thing.

If I buy Brittanias from the Royal Mint they will cost me about £32/oz once VAT and post is factored in. If I sell them back to the mint they pay spot rate which is sub £20/oz. So the price of silver is going to have to increase 50% before I break even.

Similarly I have some scrap silver as I make hobby jewellery. But if I sell it back to the silver scrap supplier I will at best get 50% of the spot rate, probably less as I am not registered trade. I recycle my own into fresh makes where I can as it doesn't make sense to sell it back and buy special casting grain unless I cannot be certain I have acheived "sterling grade".

I like the concept of having some PMs around instead of numbers in the bank or bits of paper but this does not make a lot of sense to me.

So is your gold and silveractually an investment or simply a hedge against banking collapse which may eventually break even?
Mine is investment. The last lot I flogged was to go towards paying the house off. 12 years ago. I’d been collecting for about a decade or so,and I profited. Since then I’ve been collecting again,and I am about 50% in front. It takes time.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:43 pm I have a question about the whole gold and silver thing.

Are coins subject to VAT?
Only useful as an investment if they are going to whup inflation and preferably the buy/sell price difference is small.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:31 pm

Are coins subject to VAT?
Only useful as an investment if they are going to whup inflation and preferably the buy/sell price difference is small.
Silver = VAT ,Gold = none.

Robert Frost.

Me.
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

I'm replacing most of my wardrobe having lost a lot of weight in the last year. I'm doing it with an eye to longevity since I'm way past the age of wanting to be fashionable. Fast fashion makes it quite hard to acquire what I want at a reasonable price. So I have turned to making a few items which I expect to get a lot of use out of. As part of this I am really going back to basics and learning how to draft my own patterns. It's not easy finding patterns to fit when you don't have measurements that bear any relation to the standard - and even if you do they are not in the same place or plane!!