What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
deckard

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by deckard »

Agreed. I think it's a great idea, and I'd be copying you actually if I thought it'd get regular use here. I'd worry about not using it and it not being in a ready state when needed because of that.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Got a new EDC for my birthday and have spent a bit of time organising it and replacing some of the items. Why on earth I was carrying so many feminine hygiene products when I no longer require them I do not know! This bag is a little smaller than my previous one and a little lighter so I have reattached my first aid pouch rather than having stuff rattling around in various pockets. I no longer work overnight (24 hour) shifts where it is impossible to leave the workplace and so the truck box has had a sort out too and holds additional supplies and items and is less than 5 mins away from my workplace.
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

deckard wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:46 pm Agreed. I think it's a great idea, and I'd be copying you actually if I thought it'd get regular use here. I'd worry about not using it and it not being in a ready state when needed because of that.
Im doing more off grid camping than before posh sites jacked there prices up to silly money and upped the cost by adding prepayment leccy meters done are charging 60p per kWh .... so bung on a fan heater for an hour your looking at £1.20 an hour to stay warm on a cold damp night on top of £35+ per night camping.. a travel lodge would be cheaper.....

Off grid basic sites well £10 per night ISH.... pop a toilet tent up and a little paddling pool instant shower...

I fitted a diesel heater a few weeks ago we got torrential rain get in the 2 nights I used about 1.5l of diesel for about 10 hours (evening and early mornings) of warm happy warm wife = a good camping holiday :lol: and having somewhere to dry the kids shoes....
Need to build a little slatted shelf above the ducting in the cupboard for the task...
;)
Screenshot_20230812-215907.png
Screenshot_20230812-215916.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Did some water changing, still got some to do. I give them a Milton steralisation and quick rinse before re-filling. Quick dry with a towel, leave for a day to dry, then cover with a bin bag.

Converted a copy of my evacuation bags equipmant spreadsheet to plain white background so I can print a copy. Could come in handy. The original has colour coded cells that would cost a fortune to print. I need to print something once a month to stop the jets clogging. My bag is modular, including a rucksack with pockets, and two or three bike panniers. The spreadsheet tells me where everything is. Obviously I can remember big items, it's more for little things, some of which are in a couple of small dry bags. The main purpose of the spreadsheet originally was to add up all the weights.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Today I shall knock together another ‘drying ‘ shelf.Just some planks on a firm log pile. The foliage on the squashes is starting to die back and I have found even more! Mind you,we love ‘em. The runner beans are growing at a Hell for Leather speed,so we will eat some ,but above a certain size we leave them to dry out. They then give seed for next year and dried beans for storage. I prefer dried runners as they are easy to shell,unlike French beans. I don’t do hard work. ;) Spuds to raise and dry. I’ll make sure one tater is left as a seed . I’ll chuck some compost on them and they will grow. Again,saves work. Tomatoes are a massive crop,so we are eating plenty. Several have a ribbon on as a marker. They will be used as seed. Can’t beat Gardeners Delight. We don’t bother freezing them,the daughters can have a share. Pears and apples look great. So not a bad prep there ,in the garden.

Picked up a new microwave.We use that and an air fryer a lot. Saves time. Saves money too.

Car has been serviced. Ready for Winter. Everything is good there.

We have spent the last week rearranging the house. Some nice changes. Mrs J likes strings of fancy LED lights,so we’ve put those in. Looks good and doubles as emergency lighting too. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Renewed the car breakdown policy £103 for me and the boss lady covering any cars we are in as long as the car is under 16 years old.... And trailers/ caravans we are towing

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Noticed my food store cupboard is getting quite low. Which is good, in that I can make sure I get stuff eaten before it expires. I'll start stocking it back up probably next month. I think it's good to have a phase where you are just using stuff and not replacing it. It's easier to buy extra than it is to use it up, I think. The trick is to not buy loads of stuff you don't eat regularly.
Of course now I've got some space, if I see a bargain I'll grab it. Eg if 3 x Fridge Pots tuna goes to £3.50. That's £1.50 off. Usually they only do £1 off these days.

Got some exercise carrying tiles for the man with the pet sheep, and breaking up the crate. Got one of my bikes back outside after two months. Might be able to go for a ride soon! Best bike lives indoors though.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Picked up post from mum and dad's my dead letterbox :lol:

1x energiser weather ready 500lm lantern £10 on eBay bnib :mrgreen: £25 in Tesco at the moment

And a 21.5lh propane regulator for my refillable gas bottle...

Oh and I've just added another refillable gas bottle to my eBay purchase list an 11kg refillable job for £130 sounds expensive I'm getting to the point of dumping calor gas no agents local anymore and at £45.60 for a 13kg propane exchange plus a 15 mile drive 3 fills the refillable bottle pays for itself initial rental + fill of a 13kg propane is £107..... so I'm happy
As I've said above doing more off grid family camping so it's soon going to pay for itself

Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Yorkshire Andy - what was the name of the suitable for ALL fires extinguishers you wrote about a while back. My ABC's are approaching needing serviced/replaced so the ones that are suitable for all fires seem a good move.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Nurseandy wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:12 pm Yorkshire Andy - what was the name of the suitable for ALL fires extinguishers you wrote about a while back. My ABC's are approaching needing serviced/replaced so the ones that are suitable for all fires seem a good move.
Firexo

https://firexo.com/

Stocked by Screwfix and Halfords

By the ratings as good as the old 9l water jet extinguisher on class a .. equivalent to 1kg powder or 2kg co2 on flam liquids good on a 25l commercial chip pan
Attachments
Screenshot_20230813-173223.png