What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
DustyDog

Re: Battery lantern.

Post by DustyDog »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:56 pm
DustyDog wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:30 pm Not sure if this should be in another topic but hey ho.
As some have said, “you can never have too many torches”, with that in mind, I bought a battery lantern, cannot recommend it enough, Sofirn LT1, not the cheapest piece of kit, at about £85-90 odd quid, very well made, a solid bit of lantern, uses four rechargeable lithium batteries and it can be used as a powerbank for mobile devices.
Uses Anduril2 operating system, fiddly to use but it has loads of settings from brightness adjusting, light temperature down to candle and lightening modes, comes in nice case too.
All in all very recommended
Nice .... I better not Mrs A discovered this stashed in a cupboard and we'll wasn't overly impressed with "another bloody lantern!"

Screenshot_20231018-215011.png

But it was down to £8 in B&M few I got already were £12 noticed this one has a £15 price tag on it so guessing they are going up £3 shortly..

Screenshot_20231018-215131.png

But £8 with batteries your looking at £4 worth of batteries so the lantern is only £4 .. wasn't the answer she was expecting or appreciating of :lol: :shock: :o

Just spotted this

https://www.halfords.com/tools/torches/ ... 6yEALw_wcB

If anyone is near Halfords... I've 2 or is it 3 already :oops: but these take both D cell or AA shtf you can't always be fussy on batteries
😂😂😂. Good for the price, yes I’ve always been a gadget lover and torches? The more the merrier 😁😁
I’ve had a Fenix PD35 for years now, amazing and so bright for its size and the V3 they on now is brighter than my V1.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

DustyDog wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:42 pm
DustyDog wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:30 pm Not sure if this should be in another topic but hey ho.
As some have said, “you can never have too many torches”, with that in mind, I bought a battery lantern, cannot recommend it enough, Sofirn LT1, not the cheapest piece of kit, at about £85-90 odd quid, very well made, a solid bit of lantern, uses four rechargeable lithium batteries and it can be used as a powerbank for mobile devices.
Uses Anduril2 operating system, fiddly to use but it has loads of settings from brightness adjusting, light temperature down to candle and lightening modes, comes in nice case too.
All in all very recommended
Nice .... I better not Mrs A discovered this stashed in a cupboard and we'll wasn't overly impressed with "another bloody lantern!"

But it was down to £8 in B&M few I got already were £12 noticed this one has a £15 price tag on it so guessing they are going up £3 shortly..

But £8 with batteries your looking at £4 worth of batteries so the lantern is only £4 .. wasn't the answer she was expecting or appreciating of :lol: :shock: :o

Just spotted this

If anyone is near Halfords... I've 2 or is it 3 already :oops: but these take both D cell or AA shtf you can't always be fussy on batteries
😂😂😂. Good for the price, yes I’ve always been a gadget lover and torches? The more the merrier 😁😁
I’ve had a Fenix PD35 for years now, amazing and so bright for its size and the V3 they on now is brighter than my V1.

Can you let me wife know it's Normal :lol: :tinfoil

Can't beat the quality of some of the more expensive kit but the lanterns at that price are a good barter item to boot and cheap enough to sling at the kids in a power cut and they won't burn the house down with it :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:19 am
DustyDog wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:42 pm

Just spotted this

Can you let me wife know it's Normal :lol: :tinfoil

Can't beat the quality of some of the more expensive kit but the lanterns at that price are a good barter item to boot and cheap enough to sling at the kids in a power cut and they won't burn the house down with it :lol:
Mrs Yorkshire Andy, it is very normal and extremely common in blokes to ‘never have enough torches and lanterns’ 😂
I’ve always liked a torch and played around with them, all my 55 years. Actually looking at another Sofirn one now, the IF23, looks super and like all their kit, well priced but it will be after payday 😃.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
jennyjj01

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by jennyjj01 »

Doing a bit of a stock take of tinned and long life food reserves.

Embarrassing!!

OMG, SO MUCH is WAYYYYYYY PAST BBE. Has it really been 7 years that I've been buying this stuff? !!!!!

I'll post up a confession list, when the stock take is complete and as a self punishment, I'll open and consume my oldest can of food.

Mr JJ is annoyed, because he doesn't like going a year past BBE. He's going to be five times as annoyed when he sees the list.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:11 am
grenfell wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:59 am A question about the jerusalem artichokes . A couple of years ago I planted some in an old barrel half partly on the basis of how they spread comments . I didn't touch them as I wanted them to get established. However , the barrel which was second or probably fourth or fifth hand gave up the ghost and collapsed so I decided to replant elsewhere. I was a little disappointed in that the tubers were really small , the biggest being no larger than the first knuckle on my thumb. I can only put this down to the barrel being "too well drained" and last year's hot summer. I've replanted now directly into the ground but in a spot where their spread can be cotained .
No room to grow,no size. Simple as that. In my garden mine are now in cut- off 50 gallon barrels to stop em spreading. Each Winter I dig out and put 5 in each barrel. A drop of water when I think about it in a heatwave. This Winter ,two barrels yielded 31 kgs of tubers! I used to grow them for the shoots too ,to feed to my rabbits.
An update.
I replanted the tiny tubers from the rotten old half barrel. Originally they were in the north facing front garden and the barrel was sat on the concrete. This time I moved them all to the rear garden which is south facing. Some have been planted in the ground in an area that should be hard for them to spread. The plants are over 8ft tall and this year have flowered too. I also put some tubers into tubs. Well I say tubes but some are actually in old toilet pans. As an aside those toilets were originally on the front garden but nagging from the teenager about how embarrassing they were finally saw them moved. Yesterday I lifted one plant in one of those toilet pans , the leaves had turned yellow although the others are still green . Despite the toilet pan not being huge I was much more impressed with the results getting quite a decent crop off the one plant. We had some for dinner that evening. These plants in the pans are only about 4ft tall so I'm looking forward to lifting the larger plants but so far I'm pleased with how they've done. My gut feeling is the design of the pans allows a reservoir of water to stay there so the plants aren't suffering from lack of water that I feel was a problem when they were in the barrel.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:40 am Doing a bit of a stock take of tinned and long life food reserves.

Embarrassing!!

OMG, SO MUCH is WAYYYYYYY PAST BBE. Has it really been 7 years that I've been buying this stuff? !!!!!

I'll post up a confession list, when the stock take is complete and as a self punishment, I'll open and consume my oldest can of food.

Mr JJ is annoyed, because he doesn't like going a year past BBE. He's going to be five times as annoyed when he sees the list.
As long as the tins are intact and not blown and the contents not foul smelling or discoloured I'd feel fine with pretty much most stuff. Probably good to listen to any hiss as you open the tins as that would be a warning sign. I like to visit this site https://www.mreinfo.com/forums/index.php
or similar on youtube where people pretty much make a hobby of eating food that's out of date . Some are good , some not so.
Incidently I recently started on a bottle of hot sauce we brought on honeymoon back in 2000....
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:40 am Doing a bit of a stock take of tinned and long life food reserves.

Embarrassing!!

I've found that alcohol hand sanitiser lifts the ink that most BBE dates are printed on cans.
So sanitise your hands often while checking dates and if you spot one you don't want Himself to see, give it a quick rub over with your gel covered thumb and Robert is your Mother's brother ;)
And if that doesn't work, lie to him :twisted:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

grenfell wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:45 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:40 am OMG, SO MUCH is WAYYYYYYY PAST BBE. Has it really been 7 years that I've been buying this stuff? !!!!!
As long as the tins are intact and not blown and the contents not foul smelling or discoloured I'd feel fine with pretty much most stuff. Probably good to listen to any hiss as you open the tins as that would be a warning sign.
I more than agree.
One thing I have noticed with canned stuff is that ring pull cans can't be trusted to swell. The weakened circle they tear along can and does rust and become permeable enough to let any gas out. Indeed ring pull cans don't always have pressure buttons.

A few casualties spotted in the stocktake. Jars of brown sauce BBE only 2022 have gone watery and separated. Shaking wasn't enough to make them good. Marmalade that has gone dark brown.

So. I'm learning all the time about what doesn't last forever:-
Passata in tetrapaks, Evap milk, ring pull soup, Cheap sauces. and one rather odd one. Mayflower curry sauce mix which is EXTREMELY badly sealed in pathetic plastic tubs.
ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:54 pm I've found that alcohol hand sanitiser lifts the ink that most BBE dates are printed on cans.
So sanitise your hands often while checking dates and if you spot one you don't want Himself to see, give it a quick rub over with your gel covered thumb and Robert is your Mother's brother ;)
And if that doesn't work, lie to him :twisted:
LOL. Thanks. I'm always conscious of how my antics could look like Murder Suicide, rather than death by misadventure, if I try to conceal the evidence. :lol:

ShoutOut to FRNC for showing concern for my safety.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

I don't mind eating out of date food myself and will feed it to my husband :lol: who will eat anything and if he thinks that it tastes a bit dodgy it definitely is! I am however much more careful when feeding my Dad who is 84. Anything which is more than a month out of date is a no go when I am feeding him, the same goes for my grandchildren although most of the food which I prepare for them is fresh anyway so not an issue. The last stock take of my prep store was pretty good but I have seen 3 boxes of breakfast cereal on the top shelf which I missed which are very much out of date.
Growing old disgracefully!
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Medusa wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:36 pm I don't mind eating out of date food myself and will feed it to my husband
Just checking but are we married?????