How are you preparing
Jeffjones297

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by Jeffjones297 »

Added to useful stuff bin yesterday.
Candles
Paracord
Rolls of duct tape

It's a biggish plastic square bin (about 80l volume) with lid, being filled with all manner of useful materials for DIY, home, emergency use.
Already got batteries, AM/FM/SW radio, Torches, battery charger, with rechargeable batteries. Lighters, WD 40.

The kind of stuff your mum kept under the sink but a lot bigger and a lot more exhaustive contents. I.also keep a 🔦 available in the kitchen.
Has a contents list
Adding to it bi-weekly

Next week I'm half boarding out the garage, as it has a pitched roof and there's useful storage room up there, I'll put a loft ladder in for ease of access.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Jeffjones297 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:22 am Added to useful stuff bin yesterday.
Candles
Paracord
Rolls of duct tape

It's a biggish plastic square bin (about 80l volume) with lid, being filled with all manner of useful materials for DIY, home, emergency use.
Already got batteries, AM/FM/SW radio, Torches, battery charger, with rechargeable batteries. Lighters, WD 40.

The kind of stuff your mum kept under the sink but a lot bigger and a lot more exhaustive contents. I.also keep a 🔦 available in the kitchen.
Has a contents list
Adding to it bi-weekly

Next week I'm half boarding out the garage, as it has a pitched roof and there's useful storage room up there, I'll put a loft ladder in for ease of access.
The bin is a useful way to store a lot of stuff in a small space, but it's not the most accessible. As long as you can remember what's in there it should work. Maybe you should have a list. I do have some stuff in smaller bins like that, but I prefer stuff on shelves where I can see it and access it quicker. For instance, duct tape, I keep out, visible, because I do use it from time to time. Batteries, you will need to charge once a year if they are NiMH. I have a spreadsheet for batteries, including location. I keep quite a few of my AAAs in my bugout 'bag', which is actually split between a rucksack and bike panniers. My main hand torch is next to my bed, and my main head torch in on a bed post.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Just been looking at gas and electric prices. All companies seem to be about the same for Standard Variable, but some may be dearer. Mine is about the same as this. I'm not paying it 'til September, just thinking ahead. They went up 5% on Jan 1. Just enter kWh and your region/area, and it calculates what you should be paying. I compared this to EDF's rates, which for gas and electricity, for the amount I used last year, addued up to £16 more for a year then the calculator figure, ie very close.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utili ... it-rates-/
Norfolk Prepper

Post by Norfolk Prepper »

Continuing with the free types of prepping. That's losing weight and trying to get fitter. Lost 5lb last week.

But with the weight I'm at it's like someone throwing an apple off an aircraft carrier.

Still about 19lb down since new year.
Norfolk Prepper

Forced to be around people
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Norfolk Prepper wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:38 pm Continuing with the free types of prepping. That's losing weight and trying to get fitter. Lost 5lb last week.

But with the weight I'm at it's like someone throwing an apple off an aircraft carrier.

NEVER and I mean NEVER, sell yourself short. The fact that you have proven to yourself that you can lose weight is amazing.

Cut people out of your life that say otherwise (friends and or family) that type of negativity is not required.

Congratulations, keep it up. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Norfolk Prepper

Post by Norfolk Prepper »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:47 pm
Norfolk Prepper wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:38 pm Continuing with the free types of prepping. That's losing weight and trying to get fitter. Lost 5lb last week.

NEVER and I mean NEVER, sell yourself short. The fact that you have proven to yourself that you can lose weight is amazing.

Cut people out of your life that say otherwise (friends and or family) that type of negativity is not required.

Congratulations, keep it up. :mrgreen:
Thank you but to be honest I love to make fun of everything, maybe it's a coping mechanism. But I work on the basis of if I'm going to do that I need to be the main target to balance some sort of fairness in my mind.

I started at around 23 stone, down to just under 21.5. I have a long way to go and I respond better to harsh motivation, if I get happy with my progress I get complacent.

Averaging 3 miles of walking at work, along with lifting and moving around 600 sheets of glass every day while on my feet for about 9 hours.
Norfolk Prepper

Forced to be around people
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

Had a general tidy up in the shed today, plus starting to fill my essential odds n ends bin.
Did my exercises plus went for my daily walk today. 11kgs lost since October, I plan to lose another 10 by the end of August.
Feeling positive, haven't felt this good in a long time !
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

2lb a week is the fastest recommended on nutracheck. It will slow down anyway as you lose weight, because you will need fewer calories. You have to give it time. It took me 16 months to lost 40lb.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Got my loft boarded out without a hitch. Very professional people. UK Loft Boarding. In hindsight, I wish I'd gone for the wooden ladders, but I'm ok on the aluminium ones, it's just the steps are quite narrow so they feel a bit precarious. Three points of contact rule applies. I had a balustrade fitted around most of the top, and a grab rail on the side of the end post, which I'm very glad I had added. One reason for getting this done is so I can keep an eye on the roof from the inside in future, eg after a storm. I still have a bit of damp in my ceiling, which is either historical, or just a bit coming in from the gable wall if it's raining heavily and the wind is in the right direction. The gable wall is only 18" high (then it meets next door's roof) but there are slates stuck over it so it's not possible to get it pointed. It's dry above there now, anyway.
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

My daughters garage loft has several boards stacked on the rafters, plus we dismantled some built in wardrobes when she moved in a year ago. So if we clever and careful how we do it, can do it on the cheap.
The idea is to half board it, for storage and use the un-boarded half as stacking for materials.
The garage will need clever securing though, it adjoins her garden side on, eventually I'd like to put in a 🚪 from garden into garage and have good locks on the inside of the garage door as security. So access can be without having to go around the house.
It's easily doable but I have to persuade my daughter, it is after all her house !