How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:43 pm More ration retort pouches:

https://preppersshop.co.uk/ration-week-deals-623-c.asp

Basically boil in the bag meals,

£2 a portion (sometimes less)

Controlled meal that I know has a long shelf life and can go longer if stored correctly.

Not for everyone I understand but great to have around.

I usually get a single pouch if it is one I haven't tried before and then reorder in bulk.

Indonesian style Spicy Rice With Pork is my latest find. Not too spicy so I add extra hot sauce. :mrgreen:
Good link. We will look at that. Thanks :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

pseudonym wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:43 pm More ration retort pouches:

https://preppersshop.co.uk/ration-week-deals-623-c.asp

Basically boil in the bag meals,

£2 a portion (sometimes less)
Thanks.
£2 per main meal sounds an intriguing and appealing option. I might give them a try.
Quite how they can do hunters' chicken in a pouch sounds like a novelty :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Off the back of our house fire before Christmas just ordered 3x 6l foam recharge bottles of concentrate that'll let me refill 6x 3l foam extinguishers or 9x 2l units which are sort of standard in the cars / house .. ok for a normal situation I could order a new unit... but shtf I might not be able to replace the extinguisher so as long as ive got the foam concentrate, water and my trusty high pressure stirrup pump and the little 1/4 to Schrader valve adaptor I can fill them myself ... Ready for the next drama ..

And a spare nozzle as sifting through the car kits the wife's foam nozzle is broken ... So £1.66 Vs a new 30quid extinguisher..... Currently got powder in her car will swap for foam once it warms up a bit ... :lol:

Have been watching a few videos of the US fire service love of the " water can " a 2 us gallon ish refillable water jet extinguisher im keeping my eyes open for a second hand / used water jet 9l extinguisher ideally a decorative stainless steel one be handy as a flor unit shtf

Ordered her a keychain glass tool and belt cutter for her work keys she discovered yesterday you can't open car doors once it's on its roof ..

Turns out that the RTC she witnessed she helped extricate a old lady with a nurse and off duty police officer since the car was smoking and leaking fuel.... She did stop the police man sitting the injured party in his private car by saying if the pt developed neck pain trumpton would cut his roof off :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:51 pm
Good link. We will look at that. Thanks :D
Very handy I find if I can't be bothered to cook or the urge for a takeaway comes on strong,

Teaching you to suck eggs, but can be eaten hot or cold ( probably only after carrying 40lbs on your back for 8 miles)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:20 pm Thanks.
£2 per main meal sounds an intriguing and appealing option. I might give them a try.
Quite how they can do hunters' chicken in a pouch sounds like a novelty :)
A taste of home when away..... These Rations have come on leaps and bounds since the 80's where tins were used.

The inclusion of vegetarian and ethnic/religious options have been inpart due to the soldiers themselves palates changing.

A great improvement all round.

Bear in mind that these are single meals that would normally be in a 24 hr ration pack/bag.

As I can't eat most of what's included in them these are suitable for my needs.

As for the Hunters' Chicken I cannot comment. The Chicken with Lentils is however a go to meal.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

This week I am planting greenhouse tomatoes,my spaghetti squash is getting there nicely,and all the perennial veg and fruit is growing nicely. So that’s good.
As mentioned,our walk in pantry is now well stocked as needed. Freezers too. In both cases,swift meals are the most appropriate right now, and it saves on power whilst cooking too.

How are you finding your power costs?

Personally we don’t consider our power usage and cost to be over the top. Don’t get me wrong,it is expensive compared to let’s say a couple of years ago,but our way of living is economically viable. Nor do I / we earn a load of money either. But of course,that’s us.

Yesterday I sold our two cast iron multi fuel stoves. Well,sold one,swapped one. Got a nice 5kw compact version,along with chimney etc to fit our smaller fireplace in a real TEOTWAWKI situation. The chimneys are now shut off but can easily be opened and stove fitted in minutes. My wife knows how. That stove has been stored appropriately in my workshop. To be honest I can see the solid fuel being gradually outlawed,but if there is SHTF there’s a back up . Wood is not a problem for fuel either locally .Indeed there’s a few bags of smokeless fuel,and tinder stashed in case of an emergency. I’ve put in another spare gas bottle too in case of power cuts. Our heating is bang on now. I’ve got to say that remote control electric is brilliant!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:21 amHow are you finding your power costs?

Personally we don’t consider our power usage and cost to be over the top. Don’t get me wrong,it is expensive compared to let’s say a couple of years ago,but our way of living is economically viable. Nor do I / we earn a load of money either. But of course,that’s us.
I let my power utility set the monthly direct debit amount, I watched what I used really carefully, and 3 months ago, they lowered the amount by 25%. I'm happy to report that even though we've just had winter (not the coldest ever, but even here down south, we had 3 or 4 days of snow), I'm still £17 in credit :lol: I used to expect to be negative credit by winter's end, but I'm not. And I'm taking a tip from you once the sun's out a bit more, in actually using my solar panel to charge my phone :mrgreen:
Yesterday I sold our two cast iron multi fuel stoves. Well,sold one,swapped one. Got a nice 5kw compact version,along with chimney etc to fit our smaller fireplace in a real TEOTWAWKI situation. The chimneys are now shut off but can easily be opened and stove fitted in minutes. My wife knows how. That stove has been stored appropriately in my workshop. To be honest I can see the solid fuel being gradually outlawed,but if there is SHTF there’s a back up . Wood is not a problem for fuel either locally .Indeed there’s a few bags of smokeless fuel,and tinder stashed in case of an emergency. I’ve put in another spare gas bottle too in case of power cuts. Our heating is bang on now. I’ve got to say that remote control electric is brilliant!
I like the sound of that! I've got one of those little gas fires that runs on tiny cartridges, and with all the tree pruning I've been doing recently, I've kept the trunks - they're not very wide, but they'll help for a power cut of a few days.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:35 pm
jansman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:21 amHow are you finding your power costs?

I let my power utility set the monthly direct debit amount, I watched what I used really carefully, and 3 months ago, they lowered the amount by 25%. I'm happy to report that even though we've just had winter (not the coldest ever, but even here down south, we had 3 or 4 days of snow), I'm still £17 in credit :lol: I used to expect to be negative credit by winter's end, but I'm not. And I'm taking a tip from you once the sun's out a bit more, in actually using my solar panel to charge my phone :mrgreen:

Get a decent power bank or 2 and charge them then use them to charge your phone .. double edge if someone pinches it you've lost a £30 or so power bank Vs your phone. If you eventually end up with a couple use one charge one sort of affairs you'll always have power

On dull days you'll probably find the phone actually uses more power and tries to flatten itself every time the sun comes out it'll helpfully light the screen saying charger connected or similar then stop charging saying disconnected from charger ....

A power bank dependent is size of will get you several charges so even on days it's murkey you'll have a reserve of free power.. for grotty days then fill it back up when the sun comes out .. get a car charger too so when out and about the minimal power draw might use a extra few drops of petrol per mile :lol: and big power cut the car charger doubles up to give you another power option
These match the Anker fast charging mode if IQ so if you go Anker get the matching car charger assuming your car has a cig lighter socket

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Charger- ... 551&sr=8-3

I'd look at the Anker range of power banks I've a couple

Got this one the other week on offer for £35
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCor ... B01JIWQPMW

And I've this one..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCor ... 15&sr=8-12

Not quiet as big

But keep your eyes peeled on Amazon for offers don't buy one today sort of job find one you like then watch it for a few weeks probably be a mayday sale or something end of the month

Currently it pays to be a savvy shopper :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Very nice, Y/Andy, I must copy the electronic bits of the last few days :)
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Thanks for the link for the ration pouches! Will definitely take a look 👀.