UK version of gamma lids?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
pitchshifter

UK version of gamma lids?

Post by pitchshifter »

Hi, I'm wondering if there's a UK version of the gamma lid that the American preppers talk about, but perhaps with a different name that I can Google? You can get the gamma lids in the UK for food storage, but they're quite expensive! Does anyone know of a UK version, or alternatively a good supplier where they're not so pricey?

What do other's use for bulk food storage? The Gamma2 vittles vaults on Amazon look great but they're £40+ just for a box! I have a few 10l food safe boxes with the lids that seal down when you press hard, we use one for cat kibble for example, but even with regular use it's still soooo difficult every time you want to take the lid off! I'd like something to store dry food like rice and flour in bulk, but that can be easily accessed to re-fill the big glass clip-lock jars I keep in the kitchen.
Muxley

Re: UK version of gamma lids?

Post by Muxley »

I’ve been wondering the same thing, they’re so expensive over here.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Muxley wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:18 pm I’ve been wondering the same thing, they’re so expensive over here.
Welcome back... :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Muxley

Post by Muxley »

pseudonym wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:21 pm Welcome back... :lol:
It’s been a while!
PPrep

Post by PPrep »

Although nothing like as good as gamma lids, I use 25l buckets which come with snap-on lids. These are relatively cheap, but the lids are most probably not airtight. They're a bit stiff to unclip. In the buckets I store dried foods such as rice, muesli and lentils in their original packets for up to 6 months' storage. They're mouse proof, and proof against insects such as the pantry moth.
triffid

Post by triffid »

Is this the sort of thing you mean?..... Neoflam Food Storer
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71T ... SX679_.jpg

Asda sell them - though I think the largest size is 'only' 4.5l & they cost £7.50.
https://groceries.asda.com/search/neoflam%20storer

I bought a couple around September last year - perhaps I was just lucky with the pricing - for £2.50 each. It may be an idea to put them on your 'mental to buy list' & purchase them should you see them at a discounted price.
Muxley

Post by Muxley »

triffid wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:56 am Is this the sort of thing you mean?.....
They’re a 2 part lid (lid & seal) that fits onto the food buckets; cheap as chips in the USA but very expensive in the U.K.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=h ... AdAAAAABAK
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

They seem to be popular for car valeting and detailers here but no one else. And pricey. Cheapest I could see was on eBay for about £15 for one lid