What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

PPrep wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:36 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:12 pm Got a new camping fridge a ultra low wattage 12v compressor fridge

If the power goes off I'll have cold beer :mrgreen: oh and milk obviously :|

And camping the sausage and bacon for breakfast will stay fresh ;) runs on eco mode at about 30 watts which is a tiny draw especially as after 30 minutes it went from 18°c to -5°c
Remarkably efficient compared with non - compressor (peltier module type I think). I scratch - built a peltier - module type cooler, and although it may be a bit more efficient than most commercial ones, yours is way ahead in performance. I believe that compressor coolers are more efficient in any case; is yours thermostatically controlled? Mine runs from 11 to 32 volts and gives a temperature differential of 14 to 15 degrees C at about 30 watts . Yes to the cool beer, especially when camping!

Yes it's thermostat controlled and will chill down to -20 degrees C so can be used as a freezer!

Runs on its eco mode at about 30w 12v the eco mode lets the temperature rise a couple of degrees before cutting in and runs at a lower wattage... Tried it for 12 hours over night took the power bank (river 2 250wh ISH to 50% on 12v ) solar out at 8am this morning whilst still running the fridge bright but overcast morning was fully recharged just after 11am
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Andy. That sounds like a nice toy. I eyed these up but could not justify the purchase price at the moment. Did you get a good deal on it & which one is it?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:29 pm Andy. That sounds like a nice toy. I eyed these up but could not justify the purchase price at the moment. Did you get a good deal on it & which one is it?
Its this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpicool-Refri ... ast_sto_dp

I found a £20 off voucher after I ordered I'll try and find the referral link

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:29 pm Andy. That sounds like a nice toy. I eyed these up but could not justify the purchase price at the moment. Did you get a good deal on it & which one is it?
Can't find the discount now :? Was on YouTube
IMG_20240608_195127762_MFNR.jpg
Went for the 20l unit beer for scale :mrgreen:

Alpicool brand c20

PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Preps this week are continuing to restock my garage with long term supplies week by week. I let it run down and stock rotated a while back. I admit to chucking out a few cans of stuff that I had missed in the general stock rotations. So this week I bought a handful of extra tins on my weekly shop - 4 pack of beans, some coconut milk, a few tins of fruit that I will eat and a bag of pasta and a 5 k bag of rice. Next week I will top up the spices, herbs and such like. It's all well and good to ensure you have pasta and rice but you need flavour!

On the note of flavour, I have have added to my grown plants with 2 more Rosemary plants, another thyme and a couple of mint as culinary prep. I am also looking at medicinal plants. I have lots of lemon balm growing so one of my preps was researching what I can make with that. I have a couple of good books - a Jekkaa McVicar's herb book and a James Wong book so some of my refocusing on preps will be re reading those. I probably need to get some more local bees wax. It's not like that stuff goes out of date, to use in making salves with said herbs. Being a menopausal lass with the associated dry skin, in a grid down/produce shortage situation, it would be good to be able to make skin creams.

It's the little things that make life more bearable when times are tough. We often forget the luxuries that help give us a lift so we can cope better with what ever life has thrown at you! *wanders off to buy some chocolate for her preps*
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

PreppingPingu wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:51 pm *wanders off to buy some chocolate for her preps*

That'll be gone by tonight then :mrgreen: :twisted:

Need to do a top up shop soon but need to have a cupboard sort out first and make a list so save buying stuff we have plenty of ...

The shed still needs tipping out and sorting :? But I need a dry day :lol: that's not this weekend then :x

Thunderstorms forecast here for the next 3 days so keeping one eye on the sky

BT internet have been kicked out for a fiber provider that's 2/3rds cheaper than the crap copper line bt package had issue after issue and apparently if they send an engineer out and can't find a fault it's £125+vat ... Fiber provider offered free connection.. so you guess the rest .... I know there's a fault had my uncle round he's a ex British telecom engineer ... They wouldn't listen to him .... We are out of contract so time to jump :lol:

PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

deleted - duplicate post
Last edited by PreppingPingu on Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Area 3)
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

PreppingPingu wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:56 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:54 am
PreppingPingu wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:51 pm *wanders off to buy some chocolate for her preps*
That'll be gone by tonight then :mrgreen: :twisted:

Need to do a top up shop soon but need to have a cupboard sort out first and make a list so save buying stuff we have plenty of ...

The shed still needs tipping out and sorting :? But I need a dry day :lol: that's not this weekend then :x

Thunderstorms forecast here for the next 3 days so keeping one eye on the sky
Yeah chocolate doesn't last long unless it's locked away! You saying about the shed - we have been saying we need to sort ours out. Was orignaly got as a small workshop so hubby could do a bit of knife making as a hobby. However I seem to have hogged a lot of his tools and bought a few of my own for preparing my Forest school/preschool stuff. I use his circular chop saw more than he does to cut wooden discs from branches for crafty stuff ... well, long story short, I have made a bit of a mess of his shed. :lol: Might be good to tidy it, not just from a day to day point of view, but organising and seeing what we have prep wise - ie what useful bits of wood do we have, nails, screw and the like. I seem to dip into his wood screw box for various projects so we are running light on those. We did have a couple of sheets of ply and mdf at one point. Again, I seemed to have used up some of it! They are useful for boarding up broken windows/major storm incoming, so again, ought to restock for those sort of emergencies. Not that we get those sort of storms where we are but in this rapidly changin climate, blighty is getting more powerful ones, more frequently.
(Area 3)
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

The only way chocolate stays safe in my house is if I freeze it! I have some stocked up in there simply because I wonder if it might be like hens teeth come Christmas given the rate it is increasing in price and new stories about crop shortages.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

GillyBee wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:21 pm The only way chocolate stays safe in my house is if I freeze it!
I tried that - but that's what the microwave is for :shock: