Looking for a multitool/kn*fe

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
itsybitsy

Looking for a multitool/kn*fe

Post by itsybitsy »

I'm looking for a multitool and a pocket kn*fe. Preferably one of each. Any recommendations, please?
pseudonym

Re: Looking for a multitool/kn*fe

Post by pseudonym »

Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

I would say it depends on your needs and what you’re using them for and if it’s legal carry or not.

Apart from that as far as Multi tools goes then a Leatherman Wave is hard to beat as is a Swiss Army knife.

As someone who has carried a Leatherman wave for thirty years they are fantastic pieces of kit.Ive recently added a Surge to use when I’m working outdoors for a larger blade and pliers.I have two additional Waves,one in my Emergency Bag and one in a small tool/gadget bag but these have been unused and are there for emergencies.
Price may put you off but with the price comes excellent warranty and service. If you break it send it back and you will get a new one no questions asked.

Plenty of options of what model of Swiss knife you can have again depending on what “bits” you want on it. As for a general fixed blade then Mora are hard to beat on decent quality and value.

HTH.

WP.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

It's a gap in my preps that I want to fill, really.

I'm not going to be carrying anything around per se - it's for home use - unless I had to bug out and if I did then I'm not sure how concerned I'd be about the legalities of the situation because I think we'd be in a very grave societal collapse, but of course I want it to be compliant with current UK legislation. :)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Leatherman is my preference over Gerber

Leatherman wave plus covers most bases and has more useful features over the likes the oht

Go look on millets they often have offers on

As for a decent knife are you are after a folding pocket knife or something more substantial?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

The Leatherman Micra makes a reasonable "stealth" pocket tool as it does not at first glance look like a pocket knife. More than once I have forgotten it is on my keys when I threw them in a security tray and walked through a knife arch and the security team did not notice it.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I've got a SOG Powerlock (it doesn't really matter which one you buy as they're user serviceable and you can buy replacement tools). Compound pliers and locking tools sold me on that range... I removed the knife blade for EDC, but I kept the 'V'tool as an escapeknife/ seltbelt cutter.

Folders. I've carried Opinel #8's for years..... I regrind them to clip-points or more recently spear-points..... Not EDC due to twist lock, but they're my go to working knife (which is my 'Good Reason' to have one on me five days a week)..... Opinel do a range of non-locking versions (prefixed with NL) and of these the NL5 is the largest with a 6cm (2 3/8 inches) blade.

Fixed. Hultafors Craftsman range, they come with a hard grip and a slightly more expensive version with a rubberised grip. Orange grips have a carbon steel blade, blue ones are stainless steel. Theres also a Plumber's knife, a Chisel point, a Heavy Duty (chunky like a Mora Robust),a Precision knife (narrower and smaller blade), a Rescue (wavy blade and rounded point) and a round pointed Safety........ plus a few others. Seeing as you can pay as little as six quid for one, you can afford to have spares and if you loose one or break it it cost less then couple of Consta or Bigbucks coffees or a decent pint.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

A lot of it does come down to planned use.
e.g. I met a professional woodcarver who exclusively uses the cheap Mora knives. The reason is that it does not matter what knife he uses, his carving style means it will soon have an inadequate point. Using a Mora as a disposable is more cost effective than maintaining an expensive knife and performance is good enough for the planned use.
korolev

Post by korolev »

I've got several Leathermans ("Leathermen" ?), Gerbers and SOGs. I would say that the Leatherman is the best, not least due to it's no-quibble warranty (I just had a Micra replaced, turnaround was about 5 days).
For BoB carry, a MT is essential but I never use them around the house/garden, I prefer "proper" tools (MT screwdrivers are awkward in the extreme).

As for knives, gosh, where to start ? In my workshop I have a fixed-blade Mora and a folding Boker TT1. Both have had everything imaginable thrown at them and have survived. In my pocket every day is a Victorinox Spartan.
In my store I have several boxes of fixed and folding, most of which have never cut anything :oops:

I'd also say Ganzo/Firebird are making decent knives these days and the prices are ok (might take a while shipping from China tho)
shed the state

Post by shed the state »

I know this is a cheap tool, but I really like it, and I use it every day
Stanley Fatmax multi tool for under £16
https://www.toolstation.com/stanley-fat ... ool/p40412
STS