geat little knife

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
edward.21

geat little knife

Post by edward.21 »

hi
im not sure where to put this so it'll go here
i found this knife on the springfields website and thought id give it a try and after doing a bit of whitling and bramble clearing i have come to the conclusion that it is brilliant THE best knife for the money annywhere. it is incredibly sharpe and the blade retension is good for such a cheap knife, and although it is not full tang (blade goes right to the back of the handle) it feels quite strong all in all for a sub £10 knife its a+ ive just ordered three more 1 for use generaly 1 for car bag and one for bob.

http://www.springfields.co.uk/bushcraft ... knife.html
the-gnole

Re: geat little knife

Post by the-gnole »

Yep, Mora's are great knives for the price, Also available in a multitude of colours, either Stainless steel or Carbon steel, even do other shapes and styles.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

They're good and hold an edge very well. I think I paid £11 for mine.

I carry a Leatherman with me but wouldn't risk a fixed blade knife, even in a car bag. It would be an extremely forgiving rozzer who'd let that pass.
In the Dark

Post by In the Dark »

I don't think you'd get away with a Leatherman either (unless you had a valid reason to carry it ) because the blade locks in place

As long as you have a justifiable reason to be carrying the Mora or the leatherman you'd be OK (with the exception of public transport, pubs,football matches, courts etc, the usual exclusions)

It depends on the view of the individual cop whether you'd be forwarded to the fiscal for prosecution or not.

I usually carry a sub 3" non locking SAK which is considered to be a pocket knife & therefore doesn't require an explanation if stopped (in theory)

I guess someone with a better knowledge of the law will be along shortly if I'm talking nonsense :D
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

The blade doesn't lock on mine, the Leatherman Kick.

http://www.shop4leatherman.co.uk/leathe ... itool.html

Even so, yes, while it's in my bag or the boot of the car, I wouldn't risk having it in the pub.
Moony

Post by Moony »

The cops can be very funny about this so be very careful, unless you need a knife for your job you can be charged.

"good reason or lawful authority" in Subsection 4 is intended to allow for "common sense" possession of knives, so that it is legal to carry a knife if there is a bona fide reason to do so. Subsection 5 gives some specific examples of bona fide reasons: a knife for use at work (e.g. a chef's knife), as part of a national costume (e.g. a sgian dubh for the Scottish national costume), or for religious reasons (e.g. a Sikh Kirpan). However, even these specific statutory exceptions have proven unavailing to knife owners at times.[32] It is important to note that that "good reason or lawful authority" exceptions may be difficult to establish for those not using a knife in the course of their trade or profession, but merely because the knife is needed in case of emergency or for occasional utility use.[33][34] A person on holiday and traveling by motor vehicle in the UK might well be obliged to purchase a knife at their destination, rather than risk prosecution if one is found by the police during a routine traffic stop or checkpoint.[33][34][35]

Although English law insists that it is the responsibility of the prosecution to provide evidence proving a crime has been committed, an individual must provide evidence to prove that they had a "good reason or lawful authority" for carrying a knife (if this is the case) upon being detained. While this may appear to be a reversal of the usual burden of proof, technically the prosecution has already proven the case (prima facie) by establishing that a knife was being carried in a public place .

Note: your own car is considered a public place (amazing isn't it !) if you are not on private land, so by having a knife over 3" in your car you are committing an offence.
I'm in Area 7 !
C4tch

Post by C4tch »

Moony wrote: Note: your own car is considered a public place (amazing isn't it !) if you are not on private land, so by having a knife over 3" in your car you are committing an offence.
I think that ANY knife with a locking blade or fixed blade obviously, including Leatherman type knives are illegal to carry in the UK without "good reason". The only knives that are legal carry are folding NON locking blades under 3". That means that the only knife that can be legally carried "in case" is also one of the most dangerous to use in an emergency unfortunately :(

C
Get some exercise, ride a bicyclist!
In the Dark

Post by In the Dark »

PeteM wrote:The blade doesn't lock on mine, the Leatherman Kick.

http://www.shop4leatherman.co.uk/leathe ... itool.html

Even so, yes, while it's in my bag or the boot of the car, I wouldn't risk having it in the pub.
My apologies
Mine locks & the blades over 3" :shock: I keep it in the car & don't give it any thought.
Kentlady

Post by Kentlady »

Thanks I've been looking for a decent priced little knife
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

I bought a few cheap knives a while back for the emergency kits.
cheap knife.jpg
cheap knife.jpg (14.18 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
Have even tried making a spear using one of these and it stood up pretty well considering the price of £1.10 each (+vat and delivery)