Over the counter Anti-Biotics?

Medical and Healthcare
JamesMR

Post by JamesMR »

Do such things exist? As in a general anti-biotic that can prevent infections for example if I had a wound? Being allergic to penicillin and very rarely ill (Probably only 10 times in my entire life) I don't have much experience with them.

Would just be a useful addition to my first aid kit, obviously after you get the bleeding under control and the wound starts to heal infection becomes the next priority so what is out there?

Thanks people :)
Medicine Man

Post by Medicine Man »

It Is possible to buy antibiotic cream but oral antibiotics are far better but need a prescription.
Author of 'Wilderness and Survival Medicine' www.survival-medic.com
spindrift

Re: Over the counter Anti-Biotics?

Post by spindrift »

Theres a post on here about buying fish antibiotics, theyre the same thing. Not sure where youll find the post, youll have to search.
"A mind without purpose will walk dark places"
www.facebook.com/somethingborrowedbykelli
Moony

Post by Moony »

Tbh is you already know you are allergic to one type of anti-biotic I wouldn't go the fish anti-biotic route, best to try your doctor for proper prescriptions.
I'm in Area 7 !
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

You need to consider other natural ways for keeping the wound free from infection.

Honey is very good. Think about herbs and herbal medicine. Start planting now. Try to think away from relying in man made medicine.
JamesMR

Post by JamesMR »

I do, but you can't beat modern anit-biotics. When you think about before it was invented people would get a slice in their arm and get gangrene and then die. Or you had people dying of chest infections and other minor ailments easily treated this day and age.

I have found on-line sites to buy them, I know you can still buy steroids off the internet and they get sent to you no problem, wonder about anti-biotics? It's not as if I'd be using them all the time if SHTF, probably only a handful of times in the rest of my life so if I got a load of them they would last until the end of my days :')
jansman

Post by jansman »

JamesMR wrote:I do, but you can't beat modern anit-biotics. When you think about before it was invented people would get a slice in their arm and get gangrene and then die. Or you had people dying of chest infections and other minor ailments easily treated this day and age.

I have found on-line sites to buy them, I know you can still buy steroids off the internet and they get sent to you no problem, wonder about anti-biotics? It's not as if I'd be using them all the time if SHTF, probably only a handful of times in the rest of my life so if I got a load of them they would last until the end of my days :')
I would not buy drugs off the 'net. Could be any old crap. And has been proven so. Also you will notice any medication has an expiry date. Whilst I am not a pharmacist, I suspect those dates are there( just like food) because the medicine loses it's potency or may even become toxic.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
tigs

Post by tigs »

jansman wrote:
JamesMR wrote:I do, but you can't beat modern anit-biotics. When you think about before it was invented people would get a slice in their arm and get gangrene and then die. Or you had people dying of chest infections and other minor ailments easily treated this day and age.

I would not buy drugs off the 'net. Could be any old crap. And has been proven so. Also you will notice any medication has an expiry date. Whilst I am not a pharmacist, I suspect those dates are there( just like food) because the medicine loses it's potency or may even become toxic.

i posted on another thread an article by the America FDA which states that the expiry date on drugs and medicines are total rubbish most if not all medications last at least 15 years over the date put on them !
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
JamesMR

Post by JamesMR »

tigs wrote:
jansman wrote:

i posted on another thread an article by the America FDA which states that the expiry date on drugs and medicines are total rubbish most if not all medications last at least 15 years over the date put on them !
Ahh thanks for the info :)

I might go ahead and order some, they're only cheap and if a situation got to the point I needed it then I think the alternative to not taking them would be pretty bleak tbh
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

@jamesMR. i wouldnt bother with the internet antibiotics. because just like street drugs these pills could be contaminated with any sort of crap they want to put in. as they are generally made in low class labs with only profit in mind. some things are not worth buying cheaply especially when you put it in your body. we all know people that dont finish their antibiotics when they are ill. just collect from friends or colleagues, or when you do get a prescription from your doctor for antibiotics go back and say you have lost them. they will give you a repeat pescription. this way you can save up quite easily. and keep them in the fridge!! i would rather not chance internet antibiotics whats in them could kill you. and thats not worth saving money for.