Introduction

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Frnc

Re: Introduction

Post by Frnc »

Peter wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:31 pm Yes FRNC, we’re quite well prepared for bugging in. Water in jerrycans (backup waterbutts), food, solid fuel, propane, medication, small solar setup, should keep us going for sometime.
Sounds good. I need to get a solar panel. I did get a cheap one but I don't think it works. I do have one in mind. What is yours?
I do have a solar radio and two solar lamps, all on a south facing window ledge. I've no idea if they actually charge up or not. I think the lamps do. I should use up some of the battery on the radio and then put it back.
Peter

Post by Peter »

We have a 100w folding panel with a built in charge controller and leads to connect to a leisure battery, panel cost about £120. The panel came in a handy padded storage bag, we bought it for when we were camping.

I recommend this for a starter.

We also have a permanent two panel setup charging two leisure batteries, this is for running LED lights, and charging AA/AAA rechargeables and USB devices, we also have an inverter for 240v charging of power tool batteries.

This is for power outages or grid shutdown.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Peter wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:57 pm We have a 100w folding panel with a built in charge controller and leads to connect to a leisure battery, panel cost about £120. The panel came in a handy padded storage bag, we bought it for when we were camping.

I recommend this for a starter.

We also have a permanent two panel setup charging two leisure batteries, this is for running LED lights, and charging AA/AAA rechargeables and USB devices, we also have an inverter for 240v charging of power tool batteries.

This is for power outages or grid shutdown.
If your power tools are any of the big brands the likes of Makita and DeWalt do 12v chargers

For example

https://makitauk.com/product/dc18se
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Peter

Post by Peter »

Thanks Andy, but our power tools are a mixture mainly aldi and lidl. The first cordless drill I bought was a 12V as I thought when the battery died I could run it of a car battery.............the motor burnt out first.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Peter wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:00 pm Thanks Andy, but our power tools are a mixture mainly aldi and lidl. The first cordless drill I bought was a 12V as I thought when the battery died I could run it of a car battery.............the motor burnt out first.
Fair enough

I've a pile of Lidl stuff managed to pick up a usb charger for the batteries great to charge up most mobiles et all they eclipse most generic power banks the little built in light isn't bad either on it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165630428201 ... B105741592&
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Peter

Post by Peter »

Thanks Andy it looks a useful plan of kit.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Peter wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:08 pm Thanks Andy it looks a useful plan of kit.
Hi Peter welcome and if you ask about electric stuff and battery and solar if andy does not pop on with the answer i guess there is no answer to the question lol , all bow to the great solar god andy lol