Looking for a multitool/kn*fe

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
itsybitsy

Re: Looking for a multitool/kn*fe

Post by itsybitsy »

Thanks everyone. I've started off with a Swiss Army Knife 'medium' with 12 functions. I'll be adding other things though, as back ups etc., :)
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:46 pm Thanks everyone. I've started off with a Swiss Army Knife 'medium' with 12 functions. I'll be adding other things though, as back ups etc., :)
Farmer,Huntsman,Climber??

You won’t go wrong.

WP
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Spartan
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

WP
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 2:51 pm It's a gap in my preps that I want to fill, really.

I'm not going to be carrying anything around per se - it's for home use - unless I had to bug out and if I did then I'm not sure how concerned I'd be about the legalities of the situation because I think we'd be in a very grave societal collapse, but of course I want it to be compliant with current UK legislation. :)
I have a Leatherman Rebar in my BOB. They do a UK version, with no blade, but what's the point of that? So I got the blade version. Not street legal, but in a truly shtf as you say, I probably wouldn't be too concerned. It's with my Mora (sheath knife), which is even less street legal, in a bike pannier with camping gear. If I was bugging to a hotel that wouldn't be coming. If it was a local, temporary evacuation, I might take the camping gear but leave the Mora and maybe the Leatherman.

Regarding pocket knives, UK legal SAKs are good. Even those, you can't carry everywhere, like a gig. I've had a fairly small one I used to take backpacking, climbing etc for decades. Also got a tiny one in my bike bag. Small one is in my BOB lid and would definitely be going. You must have some sort of blade in a bugout bag.

Street legal is under 3" blade, non-locking. Non locking blades are more dangerous to use. You have to be careful it doesn't suddenly close and chop your finger.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

GillyBee wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:47 am A lot of it does come down to planned use.
e.g. I met a professional woodcarver who exclusively uses the cheap Mora knives. The reason is that it does not matter what knife he uses, his carving style means it will soon have an inadequate point. Using a Mora as a disposable is more cost effective than maintaining an expensive knife and performance is good enough for the planned use.
Moras are dirt cheap, but they are highly regarded. Mine had 13,000 reviews on amazon. I regard more than 4% below three stars as less than great. This has 1%. It is rare for things to get such a high score.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ZAIXSC/
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:46 pm Thanks everyone. I've started off with a Swiss Army Knife 'medium' with 12 functions. I'll be adding other things though, as back ups etc., :)
Like I say, just be damn careful the blade doesn't close on your fingers! You have to bear that in mind all the time when using it and when you close it. Always cut away from you and make sure it can't slip and cause an unexpected movement. Maybe watch some videos on safe practice.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:16 pmSpartan
Can opener takes me back. Used it a lot camping, in the days when only mackerel came in ring pull cans. Takes a bit of practice, but they work fine. You have to see-saw it. Small screwdriver is on the end of it. Mine is same but without the corkscrew and awl. Bottle opener's been used many a time!
Last edited by Frnc on Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

Have a look here Itsy. Lots of uses for Swiss Army Knifes and hidden features.

https://youtu.be/O20mKRHYttg?si=hCjeP3k9pL31Ch_f

WP