What do people prep for

How are you preparing
Triple_sod

Re: What do people prep for

Post by Triple_sod »

As most people have said, for me it’s about prepping for whatever comes along really, I try not to get caught up on a specific issue/scenario.

Teapot makes a good point about being prepared mentally, for a lot of people who haven’t had their eye on the ball whatever happens will be massive sock to the system. Even if it isn’t something as catastrophic as the breakdown of law and order, it’ll throw their lives into complete turmoil.

I reckon lifestyles also very important, because obviously if something long term comes along, the more changes you have to make, the harder it will be to adjust.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I'm keeping stocks in, and preparing mentally for a shtf event- REDUNDANCY.Next Spring is d-day for me.I'm sticking out for the cash I am due.

I do think though,that any life event,good,bad,or catastrophic,needs mental strength rather than material strength.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Gillbabs

Post by Gillbabs »

I'm working on what I think is most likely first - then I can worry about TEOTW We've had a few close shaves I can remember.

Bugging out is not an option to my mind - I'd need to get outside the M25 & we all know what that is like on a Bank Holiday - let alone in a real crisis. I'm working on food stores (especially imported goods that make life worth living) & 72 hour kits for living in an evacuation centre rather than in the woods. The reason I'm going for these is the situations below - all of which have happened before and therefore could happen again.

1) Fuel crisis - Bikes & a good store cupboard got us through the one in 2000 without too much pain.
2) Fire. Having to get the kids out of bed to evacuate a block of flats makes you think about what you should have ready! Being able to put kids in the car with sleeping bags from the garage made it less painful for the 2 hours we spent waiting around to see what would happen next.
3) If ANYONE near you has gas cylinders stored then you could get a 24 hour evacuation with no notice if there is a fire - this happened to our neighbours at 1am after a van was crashed near them and a 200m exclusion zone was set up .
4) Power/water/gas cuts
5) Food shortages - if the financial crisis business gets much worse, we may not starve but if we can't import anything (as happened to Iceland/Russia/Argentina) then we will be in the same boat as in WWII - This could of course be the zombie apocalypse trigger as millions of Brits try to cope without their morning tea/coffee......
cumbriasurvivalist

Post by cumbriasurvivalist »

Excellent replys,thanks people.Like soneone said,food,water,shelter and anything else is gravy.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

It's true that anything else is "gravy" but part of my reason for prepping is to carry on having the comforts (as far as possible) that I would normally have. Anyone can sit in the dark eating cold baked beans to stay alive, I prep so that my life carries on with as little disruption as possible.
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

Gillbabs wrote:
Bugging out is not an option to my mind - I'd need to get outside the M25 & we all know what that is like on a Bank Holiday - let alone in a real crisis. I'm working on food stores (especially imported goods that make life worth living) & 72 hour kits for living in an evacuation centre rather than in the woods. .
I'm very glad i dont live in a major city, i dont think i would like to be in an "evacuation centre"(, read concentration camp,) for 24 hours never mind 72 hours, just think of all those people in very close quarters, its a holiday camp for germs and disease, thats why i've made plans to go to my BOL in the event of enforced evacuation, i dont think it will happen though TPTB dont have enough soldiers or police NOW never mind after they make thousands redundant to carry out any contingency plans.
beefy0978

Post by beefy0978 »

bulldogeagle wrote:
Gillbabs wrote:
Bugging out is not an option to my mind - I'd need to get outside the M25 & we all know what that is like on a Bank Holiday - let alone in a real crisis. I'm working on food stores (especially imported goods that make life worth living) & 72 hour kits for living in an evacuation centre rather than in the woods. .
I'm very glad i dont live in a major city, i dont think i would like to be in an "evacuation centre"(, read concentration camp,) for 24 hours never mind 72 hours, just think of all those people in very close quarters, its a holiday camp for germs and disease, thats why i've made plans to go to my BOL in the event of enforced evacuation, i dont think it will happen though TPTB dont have enough soldiers or police NOW never mind after they make thousands redundant to carry out any contingency plans.
TPTB are systematically picking a fight with every police officer and every service (wo)man in the land at the moment. I'm with you that there wouldn't be enough of them to enforce evacuation. And of those that remain the will to obey might already have been compromised. Perhaps more worryingly due to the cuts, there will be a lot of very well trained and poor "ex" service men who might have developed a more anti-establishment view. Just look at the history of the KGB and what many of them became. Some lessons are difficult to learn.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Bulldogeagle, you have obviously never been in a rest centre, they most certainly are not 'concentration camps'. Entry and exit is unrestricted, food, drink and comfort is easily available. Most people stay for a few hours just to settle down and see what is happening, then if the incident looks if it will be prolonged slide off to relatives or friends.

Please don't think the US type of shambles exists in the UK. I have run and been involved in many such evacuations and I suspect the major problem is boredom or overeating

Talk to your local authority and see what their plans include. People are not held in close quarters, it is all quite sanitary.

Should you have no nearby relatives or friends a few things can make a stay more comfortable, a change of clothing, your own choice of comfort food, some entertainment and so on. I can guarantee you will be much more comfortable than in your BOL and I would suspect also interested in how professional an evacuation can be handled and how you might support your community if it ever happened again.

Unless a full 'State of Emergency' is declared, signed off by the Secretary of State (doesn't happen too often) no one can force you out of your house, the powers just don't exist, there is no such thing in the UK as "enforced evacuation", but will you really want to stay if your neighbour has just dug up a WW2 1000lb bomb.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Bulldog, like you I live in Devon and i contacted Devon Council for details of their evacuation plans / rest centres / policy on pets last year. You ought to contact them youself, you might be pleasantly surprised by the response you get.

No matter what plans you make to look after yourself, or what kit you have, circumstances may result in the "dreaded" powers that be being the best option (for example you or someone in your family may need medical assistance). Better to know exactly what you should expect and what should happen than to rely on internet rumours and info that is in some cases just plain old fashioned BS
Last edited by Carrot Cruncher on Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Just for fun, here are four photos of a rest centre from my collection, all public domain taken at Boscastle.

The terrifying reception desk, WRVS and The Samaritans. (Initial rest area in background)

The Gauleiter in charge (WRVS)

Typical family with handed out kit. Notice their BOBs

Area for pets.