The shelf life of stored fuel

Logistics and Transport
jansman

Re: The shelf life of stored fuel

Post by jansman »

I have it stored 3yrs no problem,no additive. Only use it for chainsaws and rough old site gennie. After 3yr I would not want to put it in our high performance car,I would sooner use it for cleaning motor parts.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Leo1

Post by Leo1 »

Fuel here in the UK today, has to have Bioethanol added. At the mo it's around 6 or 7%, this impacks on the shelf life. As Bioethanol has a shelf life of around 3-4 months. This will have a effect on the storeing of Petrol or Diesel. So if you intend to store fuel for anything more than that you will need to add a Fuel Preservative & Stabilizer.
If you store untreated fuel in the tank or fuel lines, gums and varnishes start to form due to oxidation of the fuel within a few months. This reduced's, it's octane value and overall efficiency. Along with clogging up the system.

Leo
unsure

Post by unsure »

at the risk of sounding like a broken record , if you want to store fuel for an older diesel engine . the best thing to store is veg oil , theres no limit on the amout you can store and it has more than one use . cheaper than diesel aswell , i have around 120 /140 ltrs stored away , it won`t go bad or loose it`s umph being stored in a 200ltr barrel out side .

petrol with an adative , acording to the makes of the adative should be good for a year , after that it starts to degrade .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

I wouldn't store untreated petrol for any more than 6 months, after that it CAN be a bit iffy.
jansman

Post by jansman »

As stated earlier, I will only use it on the chainsaw or gennie. After that it will still burn. Good for the universal tool of the rioter. The Molotov. ONLY as a shtf defence as this is currently against the law. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
icrcc

Post by icrcc »

I have had no problem storing fuel for over three years as long as fuel stabilizer is added. Diesel can be stored for much longer.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://canampreppers.net/forum/index.php