Value Range foods compared

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Value Range foods compared

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:17 pm
jansman wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:51 pm So who is REALLY growing food? Or rearing it? Or shooting or fishing it?
Jansman and British Red. Probably a few others :)
You don’t have to go mad... More than enough. Further up we have rabbits- 9 does and two does right now. That pays!
True. I salute you guys. Don't underestimate your skills, which you share most generously.
Folks here are moaning about food cost....I am not a rich man,by far, indeed my mother has a bigger pension than our combined wages! But we eat anway!

Granted, not everyone can supply their own food ,even on a small amount-
Jansman, some of us are hopeless townies, whose idea of hunting extends to hunting yellow stickers and supplying our own food means cancelling the ASDA delivery. It must look pathetic to the enlightened, but we are what we are. Sorry to moan. Call it a coping mechanism while we adjust.
Tomorrow,I’ll feed the rabbits and fowls, and off to nails a pigeon or two. Nice time,with a dinner or two. Enough wood for the fire for five days, and I’ll fish on Tuesday. Our shopping will be - I am told - about fifty quid tops - and a fifth of that,our two elderly cats and VERY old dog.
I envy you. Couldn't even imagine doing as you do.
I don’t worry about comparing food,any more than petrol ( everyone seems to accept that one! :lol: ) Soon it will be local supply - and worth looking at locally. ;)
All the comparing and bargain hunting is, perhaps akin to urban foraging. Hunter gatherer instinct for townies. We have a long way to go before we get to be self sufficient.
But I know some of us are trying. The odd raised bed, or cloche. Far short of self sufficient, and dreadfully slow learners, and probably taking many wrong turns.
Takes all sorts.

For now, I'll take the hint. No more moaning or comparing for a day or two :)

Oh.... And I must chase up my place in the allotment queue...
I have had folks coming into BOTH my jobs, whinging about “can’t get a turkey”. F##### hell! This country needs to sort itself out. I wouldn’t eat that crap anyway! Never have.

This country hasn’t got an ‘issue’ yet. That’s coming…
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:33 pm
I have had folks coming into BOTH my jobs, whinging about “can’t get a turkey”. F##### hell! This country needs to sort itself out. I wouldn’t eat that crap anyway! Never have.
Yes. Lot's of people feel entitled and will whinge at the deprivation of not getting their favourite brand of favourite food.
If you told me you couldn't sell me a turkey, I'd ask politely if you had a couple of chickens and would still leave happy. Hopefully I'd have blagged those chickens before the next wannabe turkey buyer showed up and you could have said to him. No turkey, and you just missed out on the last two chickens. We can sell you some chitterlings!
This country hasn’t got an ‘issue’ yet. That’s coming…
It's a work in progress. Energy already. Food, soon. Service industries and NHS bubbling up. Civil unrest, down at the Derby and Joan Club :) Black market in knock-off Farmfoods money off vouchers.
Tick Tock.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

oops ok i hope the whining is ok i figured it was like mindedness that kept us together and well a whine never hurts .

As to the country and town folk hmmm is there such a thing these days , i was born rural grew up rural grew up with more than most and yup i still whine , hey like a say prepping for me is not something special and since finding the group i have learnt a lot "take a bow andy lol"
I grew up with a air rifle in my hand and well could tell you terrible stories of an uncle in rural i mean rural norfolk who was a poacher and as he said we did it to feed the family .

I would have loved a small holding and my wife and i even looked at that but well my accident took that away from us but we have a good size garden and make do but not everyone can have a big garden or room for animals , we looked at chickens but when with the care they need and well the fact my wife loves the foxes coming to the garden with their babies it would be a hard one to do so we buy our eggs and yup i moan about the cost lol .
Also on the front of animals i do say everyone should be able to kill and clean a bird or a rabbit but again not all can it is a bit like soldiers some can pull the trigger and take a life and some not the same goes for hunting , i have friends that will eat pheasant rabbit venison but tell them they have to shoot it they just cannot pull the trigger , now as i say some can some can't which is why some people shop in stores .

I have been foraging since hmmm well lets say a long long time , if it was just blackberries but again some people do not know how to and hence why i think sites like this are a bonus they can help and teach people who do not know , i grew up in the woods but i would never try and pick mushrooms , the only time we did well magic was the word .

I think we should not look at people as rural or townies because it is just those with knowledge and those of us who want to learn , as i say i know how to live off the land and i can grow most anything hmmm florence fennel a big fail lol , but i lack knowledge of solar and battery power and people here have past the knowledge to me free and so i thank you and for the recipes i have got and the ways to make our money got further with out having to test a product as someone else has tested it hehehe .

Oh well rant over just love learning and chatting with like minded people , not all have 5 acres like the man i owe knowledge to john seymour but preppers need to help each other
stay safe all night
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Thought I got a bargain large tins of mackerel 99p from farm foods , we'll it's plenty of fish but it's not the mackerel I was expecting.
Anybody know more...?

Stuck with 9 tins now
Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:43 pm Thought I got a bargain large tins of mackerel 99p from farm foods , we'll it's plenty of fish but it's not the mackerel I was expecting.
Anybody know more...?

Stuck with 9 tins now
What went wrong?

Was it those big BTM 400g tins in tomato sauce?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BTM-Mackerel-T ... B007XCPC0Q
Or was it just not to your liking?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Yes that's them , not a mackerel taste iv double checked the tin and it says mackerel.
Fill er up jacko...
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Vitamin c wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:49 pm Yes that's them , not a mackerel taste iv double checked the tin and it says mackerel.
i once brought loads of tins like that because i love mackeral but like you i got fish but not sure what fish lol
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:55 pm
Vitamin c wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:49 pm Yes that's them , not a mackerel taste iv double checked the tin and it says mackerel.
i once brought loads of tins like that because i love mackeral but like you i got fish but not sure what fish lol
Oh heck.
I have a few of those. It didn't bother me what kind of fish they really are, because I wouldn't know any better.
What I did know was how much they repeated on me. I guessed that was normal.
Those and glenryk pilchards bought simply just on cost/kilo basis to bulk up my protein reserves.
I suppose time to open a tin of those mackerel to re-taste test them.
I see BTM sell something called Jack Mackerel to other countries. Maybe it's just some distant cousin of the ones you know and love?

GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Growing up the Glenryk pilchards were a hard times staple. Mashed and blended with a pound of spuds to make enough fishcakes to feed 6 of us.

Like Jenny my gardening will not feed us. Even if I turned the whole space to food I would have less than half the space Jansman has and twice the people to feed. I do what I can and view it as extra vitamins, treats and learning for the future.
So we all have to prep in ways that work for our own situations.
I am both jealous and in awe of the country folk on here. Hats off to you. I'd move and join you but know we are too old to adapt now
Foraging is limited in town and hunting non-existent bit I know that some of the ornamental trees lining the road give fruit in a pinch and the nearest park has apples and blackberries.
I cultivate neighbours prepared to share unused fruit trees and will be putting pretty edibles into my elderly neighbours garden that we help her with.
I joined "Giving up the Game" on Faceplant in the home of getting some locally shot foods but the nearest people posting are 50 miles away.

All the best to everyone and keep preppng in whatever way works for you

Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Mackerel have a natural oily taste these don't, but ha at 99p a tin I'm sure farm foods only sell the finest fish scorced fom the costal waters of Fukushima
Especially for us preppers that glow in the dark and give off heat .
Fill er up jacko...