What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:09 pm You all seem to have got included with various people well done it certainly will help
Very hard here during covid the neighbours reported each other constantly and now its a massive battle
I ignore most of them especially my awful neighbours next door come shtf i probably wont notice as theyre all at each others throats anyhow... :)
Today I've been chopping wood the high winds brought yet another tree down on the footy pitch near me and the council lads who came to remove it were the same I worked with
Hence one large tree in garden and me with my chainsaw and 5 happy ex workmates with cuppa and bikkis ( again thanks yorks Andy your tip for that works a treat ) and its who you know isnt it really ...
I grabbed some coal before the prices go up for Xmas period as they will.. and have recharged the lanterns and torches as we have had some daylight and even nice sun so the solar panels have worked a treat
Wandered around the other more sociable streets not far from me as I knew people were leaving apples and pears out in boxes and now got some lovely apple crumble and apple sauce..Will work on the rest tomorrow bought some eggs left at the drive of the farm also
My wild strawberries are still producing funnily enough
Small but delicious and a lot of them ..
This week im prepping for Xmas we usually go abroad but cant this year so we have a farmhouse for a week at the coast ..organised it all and can take the cat too if I want
( see u for Xmas Dinner Yorks Andy :) )
Yep council workers rum on caffeine and sugary treats :lol: can't beat a bit of industrial barter it works even better on a cold wet day a steaming mug is like a kabab to a drunk in that situation :lol: give us a wave as you go past
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Put a weekly repeat event in my Calendar to check the two outdoor lights. I did it a month or so ago, but once a year's not much use. I'll also ask my lodger who smokes occasionally to keep an eye on them.

I've done all my AAAs and water. Need to check powerbanks and 18650s. AAs are rotated regularly anyway.

Should probably check smoke alarms soon. They all have fairly new batteries. One was chirping, but only a couple of times a day. The battery wasn't old, so it may be the alarm, but I just replaced the battery, will see if that fixes it.

Ordered some buttermilk powder. The idea is to use it instead of yoghurt, with my cheese powder, to make mac 'n' cheese. I don't know how close buttermilk is to yoghurt. I'm sure it will be edible. Simple prep storage food.
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

Frnc wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:37 am Put a weekly repeat event in my Calendar to check the two outdoor lights. I did it a month or so ago, but once a year's not much use. I'll also ask my lodger who smokes occasionally to keep an eye on them.

I've done all my AAAs and water. Need to check powerbanks and 18650s. AAs are rotated regularly anyway.

Should probably check smoke alarms soon. They all have fairly new batteries. One was chirping, but only a couple of times a day. The battery wasn't old, so it may be the alarm, but I just replaced the battery, will see if that fixes it.

When you replace the batteries get a small hoover attachment and give the alarms a good clean. Sometimes dust build up can cause problems.

WP
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Winterprep wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:15 pm
Frnc wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:37 am Put a weekly repeat event in my Calendar to check the two outdoor lights. I did it a month or so ago, but once a year's not much use. I'll also ask my lodger who smokes occasionally to keep an eye on them.

When you replace the batteries get a small hoover attachment and give the alarms a good clean. Sometimes dust build up can cause problems.

WP
Good idea, I did fix one a few months ago by doing that, come to think of it. It's not chirped yet anyway, if it does again, I will vac it.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Tried my buttermilk powder with cheese powder, hydrated, on pasta. Was a bit sickly. The cheese powder was ok with yougurt (on pasta), and I expect it will be ok in pasta sauce. It's not too bad actually just made up as mik. Bit like Nido, but it's dearer, so won't be buying any more.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Replaced batteries in intruder alarm sensors one was showing low so they all got done... Good for another year :D

Also just run the gas CH upto temperature and checked all the radiators are getting hot and bled them all .. no air anywhere once cool I'll double check the pressure but won't need much to top up if any

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yeah, I set the c/h to On yesterday. It won't get triggered by the stat yet, maybe in a couple of days. If not I'll force it on and see if any rads need bleeding.

Checking the pressure is something I'd not thought of yet.

The boiler settings should still be what they were at the end of winter. I think I turned the heating temp down a bit on the boiler at some point.

I did check the stat timings yesterday, and tweaked them for days one lodger gets up early.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Refilled 2 of our 3 diesel Jerry cans today and glad we did as half of the pumps were empty at our local garage. We have a bit of a road trip tomorrow so the 3rd can (oldest fuel) will be emptied into the truck and then refilled later next week and the truck topped up. I get a bit twitchy if the truck gets below half a tank but more so due to the current news. My sister also came up from down south today and I mentioned we were putting in a bathroom upstairs as it would have been originally and she asked what I would do with my "apocalypse room" as she seems to find it hilarious. Reminded her that when her water was cut off for a few days due to supply issues that she had to travel to get some and that storing some spare water is always a good idea.
Growing old disgracefully!
DustyDog

Battery lantern.

Post by DustyDog »

Not sure if this should be in another topic but hey ho.
As some have said, “you can never have too many torches”, with that in mind, I bought a battery lantern, cannot recommend it enough, Sofirn LT1, not the cheapest piece of kit, at about £85-90 odd quid, very well made, a solid bit of lantern, uses four rechargeable lithium batteries and it can be used as a powerbank for mobile devices.
Uses Anduril2 operating system, fiddly to use but it has loads of settings from brightness adjusting, light temperature down to candle and lightening modes, comes in nice case too.
All in all very recommended
Attachments
IMG_7945.jpeg
IMG_7946.jpeg
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Battery lantern.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

DustyDog wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:30 pm Not sure if this should be in another topic but hey ho.
As some have said, “you can never have too many torches”, with that in mind, I bought a battery lantern, cannot recommend it enough, Sofirn LT1, not the cheapest piece of kit, at about £85-90 odd quid, very well made, a solid bit of lantern, uses four rechargeable lithium batteries and it can be used as a powerbank for mobile devices.
Uses Anduril2 operating system, fiddly to use but it has loads of settings from brightness adjusting, light temperature down to candle and lightening modes, comes in nice case too.
All in all very recommended
Nice .... I better not Mrs A discovered this stashed in a cupboard and we'll wasn't overly impressed with "another bloody lantern!"
Screenshot_20231018-215011.png
But it was down to £8 in B&M few I got already were £12 noticed this one has a £15 price tag on it so guessing they are going up £3 shortly..

Screenshot_20231018-215131.png
But £8 with batteries your looking at £4 worth of batteries so the lantern is only £4 .. wasn't the answer she was expecting or appreciating of :lol: :shock: :o

Just spotted this

https://www.halfords.com/tools/torches/ ... 6yEALw_wcB

If anyone is near Halfords... I've 2 or is it 3 already :oops: but these take both D cell or AA shtf you can't always be fussy on batteries