What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Pulled some preps out again today (water went off yesterday) for about a 10 mile radius we have very low water pressure / brown water again this morning... 25l bulk water containers are getting pulled out, fortunately last night we had a decent pressure so got caught up on the clothes washing and got the dishwasher on :lol:

Managed a shower about 8am but since then the water has gone very low and full of rust .. one stroppy teenager who wants a shower but turned down the use of the mighty hoselock pump up job :lol: did me fine yesterday.. wet down soap up rinse affair ..

Think this is going to be a ongoing problem if it comes on tonight I'm going to clean out the rain barrel
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Ugh, good luck with that, Andy. I always have all the water I need for my breakfast on hand immediately after my meal the evening before - water for porridge, a cuppa tea and a coffee. Really crucial, that :mrgreen:

I probably don't refresh my water supplies upstairs regularly enough - I'm sure the bottles are of the type that leak molecules, and since they're stored too long, that won't be good. But microplastics are everywhere, and I believe that aerating the water by pouring it from pan to pan is a good way to "bring it back to life".

I'm having a bit of a day off today, other than cooking some brownie-type chocolate yummy things (at least I'm using up supplies so I can replace them). I meant to be doing some weeding and digging up ivy roots from a new section I have to take care of, but the weather down here is *horrendous*. Not bad enough to flood, so not really very bad at all compared to what everyone else has been through, but bad enough for round here.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:43 pm Ugh, good luck with that, Andy. I always have all the water I need for my breakfast on hand immediately after my meal the evening before - water for porridge, a cuppa tea and a coffee. Really crucial, that :mrgreen:

I probably don't refresh my water supplies upstairs regularly enough - I'm sure the bottles are of the type that leak molecules, and since they're stored too long, that won't be good. But microplastics are everywhere, and I believe that aerating the water by pouring it from pan to pan is a good way to "bring it back to life".

I'm having a bit of a day off today, other than cooking some brownie-type chocolate yummy things (at least I'm using up supplies so I can replace them). I meant to be doing some weeding and digging up ivy roots from a new section I have to take care of, but the weather down here is *horrendous*. Not bad enough to flood, so not really very bad at all compared to what everyone else has been through, but bad enough for round here.

Well this is half a bath filled and left to settle..
Screenshot_20231029-170229.png
Screenshot_20231029-170242.png
Looks like your going to really cop the weather later in the week

Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:04 am
Managed a shower about 8am but since then the water has gone very low and full of rust .. one stroppy teenager who wants a shower but turned down the use of the mighty hoselock pump up job :lol: did me fine yesterday.. wet down soap up rinse affair ..
Hoselock showers are cracking! We use ours on our camping holidays in the "ensuite" with a paddling pool for a shower tray. We also used it in the toilet tent in the garden when we re-did our bathroom. Teenagers at home at that point decided it was better than trecking to the relatives to use their facilities.

We have been out in the garden doing a bit of cutting back and tidying up. The raspberries are sprouting after pruning as are the blackcurrants and we have a few little ripe strawberries, it has been very mild and sunny here today. Spent a couple of hours chopping up pallets as it is getting a bit like pallet city in the back garden again but we have run out of storage space now and need to buy some more tarps to cover the pallet towers.
Growing old disgracefully!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Good grief, Andy, they definitely need to sort that :shock: Good luck!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:05 pmLooks like your going to really cop the weather later in the week
I was so horrified by what I saw on the forecast I had to come back here - its dreadful :cry: :twisted: I'm bored already :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:36 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:05 pmLooks like your going to really cop the weather later in the week
I was so horrified by what I saw on the forecast I had to come back here - its dreadful :cry: :twisted: I'm bored already :lol:
Don't worry the daily express will sex it up no end to the point it'll end up been a summer breeze and a bit of drizzle :lol:

GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I had some dried milk in a dented tin so I tried some cheesemaking using it. The Paneer using lemon juice was easy and came out as a fresh quite sweet cheese. We used it in a pizza and it got the family seal of approval.
I then tried Mozarella using some rennet powder and a recipe cobbled together from the internet. This was not as successful but it would seem I have cracked Feta making :lol: . Next is to find a recipe for using Feta that is not a salad.
This seems a like good way to work through my dried milk stock and also have some fresh cheese to change up the store cupboard meals.
moominmama

Post by moominmama »

I have been following some of the COVID Inquiry, and finding it really horrifying - lack of planning, lack of awareness of the situation and how it was changing, lack of ability of those making decisions, lack of accountability, lack of compassion.

I am not sure what or when the next crisis is - other than the ongoing inflation/cost of living crisis.

But the COVID Inquiry has really emphasised to me that I want to be prepared for it as best I can, and not be in a position to have to depend on the state / government help.

So for next week I am going to think and plan more about an overall strategy for prepping.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Quick top up charge of torches / lanterns before the latest storm moves in might as well keep on top of the simple things that often get overlooked a flat torch is about as useful as an ash tray on a motorbike