What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
ForgeCorvus

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:34 pm Just set to and ordered some new wipers for the wife's car :shock: she said they are not clearing the screen well which translates to me they are FUBAR :lol: gone for Napa blades £12 a pair for big fiat squeegee type blades (what it came with from the factory a smidge cheaper than halfrauds which last time was pushing £35 a set for their own brand blades

Napa seems to be decent stuff
I think I'm running Napa blades....... I got them just before Boris told us to all stay home
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:07 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:34 pm Just set to and ordered some new wipers for the wife's car :shock: she said they are not clearing the screen well which translates to me they are FUBAR :lol: gone for Napa blades £12 a pair for big fiat squeegee type blades (what it came with from the factory a smidge cheaper than halfrauds which last time was pushing £35 a set for their own brand blades

Napa seems to be decent stuff
I think I'm running Napa blades....... I got them just before Boris told us to all stay home
Nice one if that's the case they'll last longer than Bosch then used to rate Bosch last set I bought have lasted less than six months on mine .... Got some michalin ones from Lidl for a fiver each will see how they last
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Needed some OTC medication today for a minor issue. Went to the first aid box to find an empty box and no tube of medication. Went to two pharmacies near work, out of stock, supply issues apparently. Phoned two more, looked online and ordered some only to receive a message a few minutes later saying it was out of stock and they were refunding me. Apparently there is no alternative unless I phone my GP for an appointment and get a prescription likely to take two weeks from past experience. Using natural remedies at the moment plus an OTC (oral) medication for the same thing in a different part of the body which I had in stock and will see how it goes. Stocked up on various things at Savers which I dont normally stock but will probably come in useful for me or other members of the family at some point. I found a list of medications today online which are being affected by supply issues and they arent all prescribed medications. Will stock up on ta few tubes of the stuff I need for future use.
Growing old disgracefully!
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Apparently today is a major shopping day and roads will be busy.

0° forecast for tonight.

What preps have I done...got Nido delivered yesterday. Got extra tuna Fridge Pots as they were on offer. They only have to go in the fridge when opened.

Ordered 2 x 10l water containers, ebay seller sent me an offer. It doesn't say BPA free, but it does say UN approved food safe. £14.35 for two including postage.

Ordered new watch. Last one died. Lasted over two years. Just a cheap £10 one. I should get my posh one fitted with a new battery, it died years ago.

Got 8 x AAAs delivered. Amazon Basics, NiMH 850 nAh. They do the job. Need to remember to add them to my spreadsheet. These are for my motion lights on the stairs, landing and prep room. Think I've used the last of some Alkaline ones I had.

4 bars of soap, toothpaste and shampoo for prep room shelf.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Prepping cash has been used to purchase new fire extinguishers this week...

Repainted the bedroom replaced the drop pendant and flex it wasn't obviously damaged but took a lot of heat so it's all new

Had firexo deliver a replacement extinguisher and another extinguisher arrive but they sent the wrong one by mistake so are sending me the one I ordered out and told me to keep the other one :mrgreen:

deckard

Post by deckard »

Is that a new unit as a replacement for the dud one? I'm surprised you'd want it; your experience would put me off a brand for life.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

deckard wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:53 am Is that a new unit as a replacement for the dud one? I'm surprised you'd want it; your experience would put me off a brand for life.
Sorry that was worded badly..

Firexo have replaced and organised collection of the faulty one I'll give them a chance.. the replacement the nozzle was not fitted correctly.. I sorted that ... It's gone into the shtf pile I've a different brand on the wall now...

Another supplier sent out the wrong one 2kg powder not mulit class foam.

Gone for commander edge brand and Thomas glover retail side of chubb fire protection

Reason work uses / gives me commander extinguishers to use at work and I've used a good few in the past 15 or so years here ...

And well Chubb is err chubb used in government/ royal / mod premises...

deckard

Post by deckard »

Ah, yes with context it reads that way.

I intend to pick up another, probably one of those mist ones you mentioned, but will read up first. I was unaware the powder ones make such a mess, though it should have been fairly obvious, and id like to have an alternative.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

deckard wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:15 am Ah, yes with context it reads that way.

I intend to pick up another, probably one of those mist ones you mentioned, but will read up first. I was unaware the powder ones make such a mess, though it should have been fairly obvious, and id like to have an alternative.

Imagine giving 3 kids 6 bags of flour in your living room and a big box of sweets and a pitcher of sunny delight you can multiply the mess by about 3 :lol: the powder is corrosive to metals so any electronics are a right off as it eats the circuit boards likewise you'll never get it all out of soft furnishings so curtains / carpet / bedding / mattress all in the bin..

https://www.ecclesiastical.com/risk-man ... nguishers/

They've got their place (outbuildings / cars / fuel storage areas / outside ) but are not ideal inside especially a small domestic space...

If your looking at the water mist look at this:

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/britannia-p ... ater-mist/

10 year no need for off site maintenance you check them yourself they've got 2 gauges and a magnetic test system... Plus a Kevlar cylinder so no rusting

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Stocked up on red diesel got enough red on stock to run the diesel heater on low for about 200 hours now based on 100ml per hour (another 10l)

Got straw for the chicken coup usually use shavings but it's getting very cold got to keep them warm..

And got a butane 13 kg bottle (was given a full bottle someone wanted rid of ) now which prepper says no to free fuel :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cars full of fuel wife's car has two tyres on order as fronts are getting a little low if the weather really turns