What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
nickdutch

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by nickdutch »

Used borax substitute on all the kitchen surfaces to remove ALL the grease and grime thus making the kitchen hygienic. However, the borax substitute seems to give off vapors that I am allergic to and make my eyes irritated. So i am have morphed the kitchen from a bio-hazard to a chemical hazard.

Sigh
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Rosesandtea

Post by Rosesandtea »

Oh dear, Nick!! I have to say I just use dish soap, bicarbonate and salt a lot of the time.
In the Dark

Post by In the Dark »

slightly dilute white vinegar in a spray bottle is a good cleaner as well
ROSSPA sell 5L for 1.99
Makes you want chips though :D
maddriver

Post by maddriver »

Over the last week I've bought and erected shelving for my utility (thereby transforming a pile of tools into a pile of tools underneath 4 empty shelves). Will be acquiring a couple more for the spare room next weekend, also need some storage boxes to keep them organised.

Also picked up a hexi stove and a 20ltr water carrier courtesy of Aldi and a mess tin set an LED lantern and a small torch that glows in the dark courtesy of Asda.

Currently searching for a source of second hand scaffold boards to make a raised bed.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Got another 5 Kg of tesco everyday value basmati rice (making my total stores about 7.5 kg after recent usages) and got another 4 kg mung beans and 4 kg green lentils for cooking and sprouting.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
hobo

Post by hobo »

Ordered 8 x 210L water butts for irrigation system plan for allotment.
Moony

Post by Moony »

Ordered a vacuum sealer, some mylar bags, oxygen absorbers, etc to have a first attempt at long term storage for my rice, pasta, couscous, etc that is currently sitting in its original packets in some plastic boxes.
I'm in Area 7 !
moocher

Post by moocher »

maddriver wrote:Over the last week I've bought and erected shelving for my utility (thereby transforming a pile of tools into a pile of tools underneath 4 empty shelves). Will be acquiring a couple more for the spare room next weekend, also need some storage boxes to keep them organised.

Also picked up a hexi stove and a 20ltr water carrier courtesy of Aldi and a mess tin set an LED lantern and a small torch that glows in the dark courtesy of Asda.

Currently searching for a source of second hand scaffold boards to make a raised bed.
try local scaffolders as tight health an safety laws means they have to get rid of damaged ones offer them some cash or ask what they want as the planks still fetch good money from gardeners etc.
TwoDo

Post by TwoDo »

Bought a 1930's hand cranked Singer table top sewing machine. Clearly it has seen a bit of use in its day (judging by the wear marks in the enamel) but the mechanics seem solid and the lady selling it showed me it working, how to thread it (which is not obvious) and also how to use the bobbin winder etc. Lovely bit of kit, still with case and newly reconditioned by a guy who does it for a living.

Pretty reasonable price too.... £30. Seems a useful thing to have around. Now to lay in a supply of needles and thread.
TomW

Post by TomW »

That's awesome twodo! Nice find :)