What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Arzosah »

I've just watched a webinar on herbs with antiviral properties, very interesting. Normal herbs - garlic, astragalus, marshmallow, yarrow, elderflower/berry - but also saying the reasoning behind home herbal use, which have double blind & placebo trials to back them up, it was good. It's these people - https://learningherbs.com/ I saw a previous webinar by them that was so bad I switched off after 10m, so I'm glad I bothered signing up for this. It's free - they do spend maybe 10-15% of the time touting their online courses, but that's okay, I'm on the computer and I can do other easy stuff in the background until they stop selling.

I did remember, though, that I have an actual paperback book on herbs and viruses :oops: must read some of the books I buy :oops:
jansman

Post by jansman »

The last two days we have helped our youngest,who unfortunately is struggling financially at the moment. She’s gone six weeks without saying anything,bless her. Anyhow,Mrs J and me sorted her out. Whilst she was here I took her car to the village garage and filled it with fuel. Mum sorted a weeks groceries from the main pantry,and I filled a cold box from the freezer. Got her some spuds,eggs and veg from the garden . Sorted. Gave her a couple of torches and batteries in case of powercut,and mum sorted a couple of hot water bottles and more fleece blankets.

When I came in from the garden The News was on. It was about the clowns that allegedly run the country and earn a fortune ,whether good or bad either way! :( I told them to turn it off,as my belief is that whatever the Parliament Circus is pi## ing about at,us real folks have to hustle and deal with real life.I hate politics and politicians,as they don’t deal with real life for real people.

Anyhow, I have some work next week,so I’ll keep sorting stuff where I can.Mrs J has sorted a Monday delivery in order to replace stuff out of the big pantry. No work after though,so I’ll make sure we get a bit of game in,and I get some sport with my gun! :lol: Although I have split and stacked firewood for a LONG time :lol: :lol: I have a lot that needs splitting ( dry) so I’ll do enough to see us past the time us butchers hate; Christmas.Boy do I hate it! :( Anyhow, the stuff already stacked can stay,and we’ll use the newly split, as if I get unwell ,it means there is fuel to burn with no effort.

One thing we will do is to do restock with savings that are frankly,making no interest and being devalued by inflation. I’d sooner spend - for instance - fifty quid on tins of corned beef,rather than expecting some kind of interest payment. The more the better,as we can see The System is going to collapse.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Done the same as you Jansman
Grandson showed up here from school I heard his little scooter before he got here bless him 11 and thinks its a tesla 😂 up to school on it back home on it ... rattling away
But he said GG can I have some tea here please
They only live on end of street so I did the usual does mum know you're here
Yep ( as I'm texting her as I ask )
Brain into gear
Mums skint said nothing i figure
So I fed him knocked up a massive shepherd's pie for mum with veg and Yorkshire puds jug of gravy
Went into my main pantry and after young man had eaten everything from fridge and more..drive him on with food and a few bags of shopping ..she looked at me and almost cried
Works from 4 am after cycling from 3 15 am to get there but it isnt a lot she earns and she didnt ask ....
Came back and woman over road who is well enough off has plenty and likes to mention it shouted over road ...
Sorting them out again? ..you know the likes of ..you ..people will just have to learn to live without ... 😡
Now she's older ..and I arent usually bothered who has got what but the language I muttered wasn't exactly polite
See how Mrs I have loads of money feels sitting in the ruddy dark ! She may be minted but probably doesn't own a torch ....
Anyhow same thing out tomorrow and top up the pantry as this system is already crashing
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:45 pm
Works from 4 am after cycling from 3 15 am to get there but it isnt a lot she earns and she didnt ask ....
Came back and woman over road who is well enough off has plenty and likes to mention it shouted over road ...
Sorting them out again? ..you know the likes of ..you ..people will just have to learn to live without ... 😡
Now she's older ..and I arent usually bothered who has got what but the language I muttered wasn't exactly polite
Please tell me it ended with Off!

Hope if the power goes off she can't find a torch or a box of matches :twisted: and you can return the comments with a snug grin
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

There were a few offs in it believe me
In fact more than a few ! 😇
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:18 pm There were a few offs in it believe me
In fact more than a few ! 😇
Well done :lol:

People have no idea of other peoples circumstances yet feel free to poke their oar in with no offer of help... Your day will come when you can stand there smug :twisted:

Medusa

Post by Medusa »

2 weeks ago I did a huge batch cook of food for son and daughter in law who just had their first baby who was several weeks too early and caught us all by surprise. He spent a couple of weeks in SCBU so wanted them to have some good meals in their freezer. This week I am cooking for my parents, Mum has had Lymphoma for several years, several recurrences and has just had another, the prognosis is not good and she has 3 months of very strong chemo starting next week. I need to know that they have food in the freezer that they can just heat up. Checked that they are on the priority fuel register, checked that they have warm blankets, torches etc, of course they do. She apparently has candles from the 1970's when power cuts were huge. They are caravanners so can decamp to the caravan and cook in there if necessary and keep warm too, although if Mum is ill it wont be as easy as they think. Prepping for family right now much the same as others on here.
Growing old disgracefully!
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Have to look after our own first and always xx - Hang in there people, it's going to get bad.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:38 pm 2 weeks ago I did a huge batch cook of food for son and daughter in law who just had their first baby who was several weeks too early and caught us all by surprise. He spent a couple of weeks in SCBU so wanted them to have some good meals in their freezer. This week I am cooking for my parents, Mum has had Lymphoma for several years, several recurrences and has just had another, the prognosis is not good and she has 3 months of very strong chemo starting next week. I need to know that they have food in the freezer that they can just heat up. Checked that they are on the priority fuel register, checked that they have warm blankets, torches etc, of course they do. She apparently has candles from the 1970's when power cuts were huge. They are caravanners so can decamp to the caravan and cook in there if necessary and keep warm too, although if Mum is ill it wont be as easy as they think. Prepping for family right now much the same as others on here.
Congratulations grandma

Bet the 1970's candles burn better than the modern stuff ;)

GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Medusa wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:38 pm 2 weeks ago I did a huge batch cook of food for son and daughter in law who just had their first baby who was several weeks too early and caught us all by surprise. He spent a couple of weeks in SCBU so wanted them to have some good meals in their freezer. This week I am cooking for my parents, Mum has had Lymphoma for several years, several recurrences and has just had another, the prognosis is not good and she has 3 months of very strong chemo starting next week. I need to know that they have food in the freezer that they can just heat up. Checked that they are on the priority fuel register, checked that they have warm blankets, torches etc, of course they do. She apparently has candles from the 1970's when power cuts were huge. They are caravanners so can decamp to the caravan and cook in there if necessary and keep warm too, although if Mum is ill it wont be as easy as they think. Prepping for family right now much the same as others on here.
Congrats ...keep feeding them
The 11 yr old i was speaking about was born 3 months early to my daft teenager who weighed 7 stone and noone knew she was pregnant
Delivered him in the room im stood in took me a year to get over it
Hes nearly bigger than me now
Grannys cooking ...

Hope mum does well good luck