What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Frnc »

Le Mouse wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:44 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:37 pm
Little man has his grey coat.... It's fully reflective but not overly visible in the fog :lol:
I LOVE Little Man's coat! That's the kind of coat I'd get if I was ever a cyclist again.
My next door neighbour wears one, but they only work in the dark. Personally I wear high vis as I only cycle in daylight. If I was doing both, like my neighbour, I'd want high vis and reflective. I do have a few bits and bobs that have both that I can use if I need to, vest, rucksack cover, ankle/arm bands, helmet cover. Of course the bike has a few reflectors and lights.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

By putting my prescription in 7-10 days early as they suggest, I have built my back up supply to pre 2020 levels.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

pseudonym wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:08 pm By putting my prescription in 7-10 days early as they suggest, I have built my back up supply to pre 2020 levels.
Same, not even consciously really. I use Pharmacy2U, they do everything. All I do is click a link when they email or text me and select which I want. They order it and deliver it, free. Well, they must be always telling me a bit early because over a about 3 years I've got about 3 months stockpiled! Only once or twice did the doc ever refuse, and then it was sorted a few days later, by them. If I want something I don't get routinely I just use the app or website to order it.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Pharmacist mentioned to me that in her words ..theres a lot of stuff we arent seeing anymore...when I did the same as everyone else and ordered repeat prescription early ..mines signed off by docs and sent straight to the pharmacy I begrudgingly downloaded the app as I'm pretty useless finding my way around new tech but have to admit ..its faster and I've managed to stockpile a bit now in case my tablets are the ones they ..dont see any more ...
Sneddle

Post by Sneddle »

I've done the same thing. It's come in handy over the years, when stuff has been out of stock. Ordering some things from overseas has been useful, too.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Glad I'm not the only one :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Come to think of it, I think I'll start delaying ordering a bit each time they email/text. I don't need a bigger safety net than what I have. I was glad to have a few weeks buffer when Covid struck of course, pus the fact that I get it all delivered.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Washed and steralised two new Platypus collapsible water bottles. Air drying these things is a bugger, can take over a week. I blow into them to expand them after steralising.

Charged my emergency radio. It uses two 18650 lipo batteries. I don't like fully charged lipos so will leave the built-in torch on for a couple of hours.

Dug out my decorating gear for my spare bedroom which will house my exercise bike plus some prep gear. This room is the main fire escape as it's lower and the whole window opens fully. There is a fire escape ladder in it. I have to paint the room as the lodger's daughter painted it purple and red. And the roofers put a hole in the ceiling.
Sneddle

Post by Sneddle »

I got myself a vacuum chamber from ebay a while ago, it's been handy for vacuum sealing all manner of jars. Two piece lids, the sort used for canning work fine, but it's also enabled me to seal lug lids (your average screw top jar) and kilner jar lids too. It means I can use a smaller O2 absorber and moisture absorber. Dried stuff will last longer doing this, and I'd rather have something on hand that removes the oxygen/moisture from the jar than keep relying on the supply chain. It does use electricity, though.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Ok all well the prep is really a product test , Mrs steptoe loves her tea and boils the kettle every 5 mins ok i know not quite but you get me we call her tea belly , now i use to make a flask full but then she struggled with it arthritus in her hands and raynards so i just got her a thing that looks like a kettle and is a sealed flash type so i am going to boil a full kettle fill it with the 2 litres of boiling water and see if it does stay hot the 12 hours so she can make tea all day with 1 kettle full i hope lol , ok well that is our prep tryingto find ideas to make life easier and save on energy use .
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174450188913
ok i can say these are great had boiling water in for 6 hours made madam a few drinks and this is still to hot to put your fingers in the water so she is loving it as i can boil the kettle in the morning make the morning cuppa and put the rest in the jug for her to use saving on boiling kettles every hour or so

Hope we are all staying warm .

Ps one for the mods here do you think we could start a thread for live updates ie i know jenny does loads of stuff on alternative products but may be a live thread on shops having sales you know the sort of ok just at lidi seen beans on special and so on as some people do not get out much like us and it would help if people drop notes on sepcials going on , just and idea