What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
GeeGee

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by GeeGee »

Kiwififer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:40 am I don’t know if this comes under prepping but I am compiling a list of warm spaces in the area I work in.

It’s mainly for pensioners and folk struggling, free soup, coffee and board games. It’s also not just for folk that are struggling to pay bills, there’s a social isolation part to it all as a lot of folk are on their own.

I was asking about a men’s shed but that’s not really a prepping issue.
Oh it is
Theres a place called Andys man shed by us set up to help men of any age who are struggling..mentally physically emotionally ..so many men taking their lives or depressed or just need company
Its very good prepping it can help men talk to men
Theres a lot of suffering all over and if you can get this up and running then if you only help one person its worth it
Keep up the good work. The soup and a chat for people may be the only contact they have daily ...
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Thanks GeeGee. I wondered if the men’s shed part was appropriate or not, I even wondered if the warm spaces part is as well.

I also wondered if I should start a thread with a list of places for folk to stay warm in over winter but it would be likely to turn political and we are scattered all over so there’s probably not much point.

Crazy times!

PS - it’s the life cafe in Stockbridge. Decent bacon rolls in the morning as well!
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

My prepping this morning consisted of bags of cotton wool balls and several tubs of vaseline as all the firelighters are gone in all the shops near me
The look i got at the checkout 👀
jansman

Post by jansman »

Kiwififer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:40 am I don’t know if this comes under prepping but I am compiling a list of warm spaces in the area I work in.

It’s mainly for pensioners and folk struggling, free soup, coffee and board games. It’s also not just for folk that are struggling to pay bills, there’s a social isolation part to it all as a lot of folk are on their own.

I was asking about a men’s shed but that’s not really a prepping issue.
Jenny Eclair was a comedian some years ago ,probably still is? :D and she was a big fan of Sheds For Men. Not in an amusing way either, as she meant it for the well being of blokes ,in an emotional way. I have a workshop I built 30+ years. In the beginning it was absolutely practical. Now it is,but very ‘hobby’ or ‘ my space’ if you like. Blokes can get together and talk. It means a lot. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

They are a very good resource that I have managed to get some of the guys I work with get into over the years.

I honestly can’t believe that we are also opening safe places for folk to heat and eat this winter. In Stockbridge no less.

For those that are unaware of the place, it’s fairly posh. Poverty can strike anywhere these days.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

The richer areas can be the worst for anyone struggling as they don't qualify for any of the standard deprivation support and many locals may not realise that some of their population need some serious help.
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:56 pm The richer areas can be the worst for anyone struggling as they don't qualify for any of the standard deprivation support and many locals may not realise that some of their population need some serious help.
I can see this amongst customers in the ‘rich’ area I work in. It’s not good.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

Lots of communities are now opening “warm” spaces for the locals where they can pop in for a heat and some warm food.Just watched the BBC six o’clock news and was saddened at the site of paramedics waiting and treating patients in hospital corridors for hours on end to get a bed.Sad state of our great nation. :cry:

I’ve always believed in self resilience and I continue to prep for a uncertain future. I will add to my food stores as necessary.I also try and add to my “fuel” store as well as all the other little things like hardware,tools and diy components so I can McGyver my way in the future.

Stay safe and keep prepping.

WP
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

GeeGee wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:17 pm My prepping this morning consisted of bags of cotton wool balls and several tubs of vaseline as all the firelighters are gone in all the shops near me
The look i got at the checkout 👀
Obviously a great fire starter.

Other claimed uses

cures athlete’s foot

lubricating things (no jokes)

use on cuts to keep out germs

use on chapped hands, sore nose, itchy scalp, USE WITH CAUTION ON NOSE AS INHALING FUMES CAN BE DANGEROUS

None of these are medically certified. Use at your own risk.

Think I might have tried it once for itchy scalp. Note the word once.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Winterprep wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:26 pm Lots of communities are now opening “warm” spaces for the locals where they can pop in for a heat and some warm food.Just watched the BBC six o’clock news and was saddened at the site of paramedics waiting and treating patients in hospital corridors for hours on end to get a bed.Sad state of our great nation. :cry:

I’ve always believed in self resilience and I continue to prep for a uncertain future. I will add to my food stores as necessary.I also try and add to my “fuel” store as well as all the other little things like hardware,tools and diy components so I can McGyver my way in the future.

Stay safe and keep prepping.

WP
We are like yourself. We prep for what may be. All sorts ‘can happen’ when you least expect. Illness is a big one - my wife has a lot of problems,and has issues now. If I get Ill ,such as my previous heart attack ,I don’t get paid . All things can be uncertain. We pride ourselves with preparation ,like you Winterprep.

Robert Frost.

Me.