What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
Bladerunner

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by Bladerunner »

Hi Tigs,
Have you thought about building an underground room out of tyres?
Do a google for Earthships. Earth rammed tryes weigh up to 300lbs each and would be pretty waterproof.
You would also use up the earth you had dug out of the hole.
There are a choce of roofs but you could go for the roof they use on the earth hut. All you need are some rebars, chicken wire, old towels/sheets/blankets and some cement.
There are some great books on the subject. Look on Fleabay for Mike Reynolds and Earthship.

Garages have to pay £1.22 for each tyre to be disposed of, so they will happily give you them for free.

Ramming them is labour intensive but people will come from miles away for the experience. Just depends if you want anyone to know it is there. Personally I would do it myself. An Earth Hut is 12 feet in diameter and they reckon 4 people can build one in a week. A round one would be much stronger so think about going down that route.

I could be wrong but I am under the impression that if it is underground you do not need planning permission. Personally I would keep shtum and once it is buried no will be any the wiser.

Good luck with it.
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

" most garages will give you tyres for free"? not any i've asked! they say their not allowed to(you can have your own old tyres back when you get some new ones fitted but thats it.)
junmist

Post by junmist »

bulldogeagle wrote:" most garages will give you tyres for free"? not any i've asked! they say their not allowed to(you can have your own old tyres back when you get some new ones fitted but thats it.)
Try telling them that you want them for your horse ;) horse people use them all the time to make jumps up. I just go round to a couple of places and ask if I can have them and they let me have as many as I can get in to the car :D
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

if i want any i usually go round and get them on a Sunday(they have to pay to dispose of them)..."whistles innocently" :lol:
Bear86

Post by Bear86 »

I bought the usual stuff to add to the pile, glow sticks, folding bottles and other camping stuff.

My star buy was Dried milk its on offer, Marvel Dried Skimmed Milk 175g in the 99p store and pound world. That's the cheapest ive ever seen powdered milk :D
unsure

Post by unsure »

Bear86 wrote:
My star buy was Dried milk its on offer, Marvel Dried Skimmed Milk 175g in the 99p store and pound world. That's the cheapest ive ever seen powdered milk :D
asda , own brand , dried milk , 340 g for 1.74 p . thats all most double the size .works out 87p as apposed to 99p . not a massive saving . but it all helps.
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
tigs

Post by tigs »

Bladerunner wrote:Hi Tigs,
Have you thought about building an underground room out of tyres?
Do a google for Earthships. Earth rammed tryes weigh up to 300lbs each and would be pretty waterproof.
You would also use up the earth you had dug out of the hole.
There are a choce of roofs but you could go for the roof they use on the earth hut. All you need are some rebars, chicken wire, old towels/sheets/blankets and some cement.
There are some great books on the subject. Look on Fleabay for Mike Reynolds and Earthship.

Garages have to pay £1.22 for each tyre to be disposed of, so they will happily give you them for free.

Ramming them is labour intensive but people will come from miles away for the experience. Just depends if you want anyone to know it is there. Personally I would do it myself. An Earth Hut is 12 feet in diameter and they reckon 4 people can build one in a week. A round one would be much stronger so think about going down that route.

I could be wrong but I am under the impression that if it is underground you do not need planning permission. Personally I would keep shtum and once it is buried no will be any the wiser.

Good luck with it.
never thought of that ! thanks it could be the way to go , after pricing up shipping containers (they are not that cheep between £1500 and£2500) i found one im looking at tomorrow for only £850 and with reinforcing etc could cost at least another £500 on top of that an earth ship could be the way to go
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Just made 15 jars of rhubarb and ginger jam. That should keep us going through the winter months.
Now what to do with the remaining rhubarb :| ( I may freeze some, I have already have some in syrup in jars and I have made welsh rhubarb cake).
And this is just from our garden. The new plot of land has a mass of rhubarb to harvest which I will do at the weekend.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I seriously like the sound of rhubarb and ginger jam! Can't wait for next year, when I'm allowed to start taking a harvest from my new rhubarb :)

Just been doing an Approved Foods order - £5 for delivery up to 50kgs, thats not bad, and saves me lugging it all. Specific preps include grapefruit segments in syrup, kilos of dried beans, tinned potatoes, marmalade, bottled water, household cleaning products, antibacterial hand gel, and a drain cleaning rod.
triffid

Post by triffid »

Tigs

Bit of info re shipping containers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3EAJex1RVo