What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Frnc »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:24 pm
Frnc wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:05 pm Remember I said I was going to dig out around my condensate soakaway and put in some limestone chips? This was to make sure the acid is neutralised. Well, I wish I had. The soil had turned to mud and blocked the soakaway. This was why the pump was running for hours. That was why the boiler conked out last night. For now, we put a few stones down there and put the soil on top to stop it freezing.

Got a bag ordered for delivery next week.
That must be annoying, but actually it's a great discovery - nothing wrong with the boiler!
Yeah, pretty chuffed it was one simple thing I can fix myself if it ever happens again. The noise from the pump running nonstop was probably enough to keep the lodger awake as his room is on top with just floorboards, no ceiling in cellar. Floorboards aren't even T&G, so you can see through the cracks. And so the noise was as bad as being in the cellar by the boiler. He said also a condensate tube had kinked, I think that was caused by the pump running nonstop and it not draining away. He sorted it anyway.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

I'm not far away from Damart and once a month they have a massive sale in their warehouse obv their known for all their thermal wear as well as household and other stuff
If you can imagine the largest car boot ever and fight your way through its worth it
Picked up 3 x thermal blankets spread out around single bed size.. that also have a zip to change into sleeping bag and prestuds if opened wide to wrap around you ...as I had Mr GG and grandson with me we all benefited
Then onto massively thick wooly thermal socks for indoor another 3 x they come up to the knees
They had coats for a quid jumpers shoes boots ..the lot
I had a trolly full of winter thermal stuff and paid £14 at checkout ..even handed a phone in I found..Good deed for day is done I can go back to being grumpy GG
Theyre on again tomorrow so may pop back in and collect a few more of the blankets and distribute for the rest of the grandkids....
jansman

Post by jansman »

Not going into detail,but I am in hospital. Just seen the doctor,an I am on a long haul! Anyhow, I have to stop driving,using my work tools and kit too! So…

This is where prepping is here! I am packing up work. Youngest is sorting out money from GVT, and Mrs J has sorted out our new approach. Fortunately we have a big food supply ,LOTS of firewood and coal and she is selling my car - daughter is actually,as that’s her game! She will mean she can pay off her own car,pay the bill and have a quid or two left.

In the future if things go worse,I have pension and insurance to give the boss in full. Sounds harsh ,but this is the reality now. Xx
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

jansman wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:45 pm Not going into detail,but I am in hospital. Just seen the doctor,an I am on a long haul! Anyhow, I have to stop driving,using my work tools and kit too! So…

This is where prepping is here! I am packing up work. Youngest is sorting out money from GVT, and Mrs J has sorted out our new approach. Fortunately we have a big food supply ,LOTS of firewood and coal and she is selling my car - daughter is actually,as that’s her game! She will mean she can pay off her own car,pay the bill and have a quid or two left. One small motor is perfect.

In the future if things go worse,I have pension and insurance to give the boss in full. Sounds harsh ,but this is the reality now. Xx
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Ahastyatom

Post by Ahastyatom »

jansman wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:45 pm Not going into detail,but I am in hospital. Just seen the doctor,an I am on a long haul! Anyhow, I have to stop driving,using my work tools and kit too! So…

This is where prepping is here! I am packing up work. Youngest is sorting out money from GVT, and Mrs J has sorted out our new approach. Fortunately we have a big food supply ,LOTS of firewood and coal and she is selling my car - daughter is actually,as that’s her game! She will mean she can pay off her own car,pay the bill and have a quid or two left.

Hi Jansman,
Sorry to hear that you (and your wife) are not well. My thought and well wishes are with you both. Im not sure if the doctors would of mentioned but In some regions, people who have to give up their licence due to medical grounds are entitled to a bus pass. It maybe worth checking into even if you won't be using a bus much xx
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Jansman firstly please get well ..or as well as you can ..youre both really going through these life changing times ...sometimes it just keeps coming and coming and it can be so isolating ☹
You have each other and time is precious make the most of it all ..things will change but as humans we adapt weather we like it or not ..other half lay in bed the other day listening to people scrape ice off their windscreens ..dont have to do that any more ..he did 32 year of it ..and now its making most of the time left
Any bonus is a blessing
Find the little bonuses
Spend your time how you want to
And take care
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Jansman, so sorry to hear your news! And glad that you're well enough to post, even though you are in hospital, but it sounds life-changing, that's the modern phrase that sounds completely apt to your situation.

Your clan is rallying round, and there's good advice from both Ahastyatom and GeeGee. I believe you'll find the best approach for you, you know on a really deep level what's right for you, your lovely wife too.

Thinking of you.
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

Sorry to hear this Jansman that some news and lifestyle adjustments to take. I wish all your family best with their health and recoveries. Everything else you can deal with. Take it easy 🙏

WP
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Well Jansman, you've been promising yourself that you're going to tell your work boss just how far he can shove it..... I'm sorry to hear that the choice has been taken away.

Let yourself heal and enjoy the little things in life.
I'm wishing you and your family all the best.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

This is where prepping is here! I am packing up work.

Oh Dear Jansman,
I do hope you are out of the hospital soon with whatever is the best outcome possible. If it's a marathon, then pace yourself.
You've got a strong positive attitude and a big heart, so you're surely as well prepped as you can be. You'll adapt just like you always have.
Take the best care of yourself. Be strong, but no overdoing it when you feel better.

My hopes and best wishes for you and your wife.
Get well soon.
JJ
Xxx
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong