Zika virus: Up to four million Zika cases predicted

Medical and Healthcare
Hamradioop

Re: Zika virus: Up to four million Zika cases predicted

Post by Hamradioop »

it is summer south of the equator now GOING INTO autumn Decaff.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Hamradioop wrote:it is summer south of the equator now GOING INTO autumn Decaff.
Sorry, I meant summer in the northern hemisphere, mozzies spreading further north bringing this into more countries where it could spread further.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Mexico and the USA could be in for a tough time, with spring and summer on the way this virus could spread up into North America.

I wonder how it will affect the Olympics?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Another chance for the media to scare the general public and hype up a relatively insignificant threat! Influenza is estimated to result in about 3 to 5 million cases of severe illness, and about 250 000 to 500 000 deaths around the world per year and there is not enough hype about it! Ebola before this and swine flu before that. Foot and mouth disease and even mad cow disease. Remember all of those in the media? where did they all disappear to?
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

ParamedicPrepper wrote:Another chance for the media to scare the general public and hype up a relatively insignificant threat! Influenza is estimated to result in about 3 to 5 million cases of severe illness, and about 250 000 to 500 000 deaths around the world per year and there is not enough hype about it! Ebola before this and swine flu before that. Foot and mouth disease and even mad cow disease. Remember all of those in the media? where did they all disappear to?
Yep,

Keep the masses scared, panicking and worried they'll lose everything they have and they're much easier to control.

The sad thing is, we haven't tiptoed into an Orwelian society, The masses have run headfirst, with full knowledge, and thanked those responsible on the way.

The government are doing us a favour by making us have implanted chips and our DNA and prints on file, it keeps us safe from terrorism, bank fraud and losing my phone...

Anyone who says otherwise is an anarchistic psychopath who wants to kill people... :tinfoil
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

ParamedicPrepper wrote:Another chance for the media to scare the general public and hype up a relatively insignificant threat! Influenza is estimated to result in about 3 to 5 million cases of severe illness, and about 250 000 to 500 000 deaths around the world per year and there is not enough hype about it! Ebola before this and swine flu before that. Foot and mouth disease and even mad cow disease. Remember all of those in the media? where did they all
disappear to?
I hardly think Microcephaly an insignificant threat. In this case, it's not so much the disease itself, but the effect it can have on an unborn child that is worthy of the worlds attention. I have to say, if I were of childbearing age and living or about to visit one of the affected countries I would take steps to avoid a pregnancy if I possibly could. However, the poor of a lot of these countries do not have that luxury as not only is contraception financially beyond many of these people, but most of these countries are Catholic. I wouldn't fancy that little ole' roulette wheel spinning away every time I had a good time, how about you?

Flu is in the press every Autumn, I know, it reminds me to have a Flu vaccination.
Lets face it the press does love a good doom and gloom, we're all going to die of something story. We all remember Ebola(still active) Swine Flu(still active) Mad Cow disease(still active) and thankfully Foot and Mouth is history. Much as I hate the hype the media injects into these stories I happen to believe it's important to inform and be aware of these disease outbreaks. Only by knowing your enemy can you defeat it.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
redskies

Post by redskies »

There's some suggestion now that the microcephaly could be caused by a larvacide called pyriproxyfen which has been put into the water. Here's the info on it

http://sitem.herts.ac.uk/aeru/ppdb/en/Reports/574.htm
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Thanks for that RS interesting reading.
redskies

Post by redskies »

Brambles wrote:Thanks for that RS interesting reading.

YW :)

I'm following this because I find the whole thing fascinating - I keep an eye on most things of this nature - and was wondering how the hell a fairly benign virus had mutated so far so fast. What they've discovered about transmission is also interesting. I suspect it's always been so, but not known.
Brambles wrote:We all remember Ebola(still active) Swine Flu(still active) Mad Cow disease(still active) and thankfully Foot and Mouth is history. Much as I hate the hype the media injects into these stories I happen to believe it's important to inform and be aware of these disease outbreaks. Only by knowing your enemy can you defeat it.
Don't forget plague. There was a slight rise in bubonic cases last year in the states, but in Madagascar, they had a 'proper' outbreak of both bubonic and pneumonic. Treatable with antibiotics now, yes, although it's sometimes hard to find what you need in poorer countries. I'd be interested to see if MCR-1 can get itself integrated in the plague; that one would have serious potential as a species killer!
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

redskies wrote:
There are two things I'm seeing mentioned. The GM mosquitoes - and whatever the truth of that one, I'd say it's a fair bet that the Oxitech suits are just a wee bit worried just now - and the anti vaxxers are out in force. However, it turns out that TDAP, which is given to American kids as standard, has been given to pregnant women in these countries and there's been virtually no testing whatsoever to see if it's safe to do so.

I dunno. And unless Anonymous & Wikileaks team up together, the one to get the information and the other to release it, I have doubts we'll ever find out the truth of it.
I listened to this last night (goodbye mosquito) which was all about oxitech and the gm mosquitos, quite interesting
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b074x4t9
and this is quite worrying
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/sta ... e-3-16/en/
Knowledge is power