Planning Permission

Homes and Retreats
Partimehero

Re: Planning Permission

Post by Partimehero »

Devonian wrote:
grenfell wrote:Yeah I was thinking the container would stay in place after the concrete went in, painted before hand to prevent corrosion. The alternative if building a concrete bunker would be to form the shutter in timber and remove afterwards which would be expensive (although comparible to using a container?) and time consuming . I was just thinking if in the very very unlikely event I was ever to build one it would be simple enough to brace with scaffolding and acrow props and cast around it. Once set the concrete would be self supporting and not impose any stress on the container.
On a similar note wasn't there someone in the first Doomsday Preppers programme that was forming an underground bunker with school buses linked and buried in an old quarry. Again they aren't designed for that but I can't remember how they got around the weight of soil problem.
Its not quite that simple, you would also need to reinforce the concrete else you risk the concrete placed on the roof shearing off from the concrete on the sides then squashing the container from above!!
Very good points all round.....So by the time the concrete has been reinforced enough to support the shipping container inside, which in turn has poop loads of bracing inside that, you've got yourself a reinforced concrete bunker anyway! If it's shuttered up correctly, reinforced, sealed and poured correctly, the whole structure will last a long time and will stand up to everything except a direct nuclear strike! You could do without the container and the expenses that it's incurred (the cost of the container + the haulage costs + the crane hire fees).

In a low water table area you could excavate 4 trenches (to the size of your bunker perimeter)
300-600mm wide and up to 2m deep with a mini excavator. Larger machines will go deeper obviously. Once you've got this square / rectangular trench dug out, pop in the rebar and pour the sides. The earth trench walls form the shuttering. Once cured the central portion of the earth can be excavated to expose the walls. Once open and all dug out the floor slab can be poured and then the roof.....

This method uses slightly more RMC but you save time and expense by not having to strike up the formwork and then having to remove it all after. You can't apply waterproofing as effectively this way as the process is a little back to front but the waterproofing you are able to do will be good enough in low water table areas.

The school bus shelter complex is Bruce Beaches Ark 2:

http://www.radmeters4u.com/arktwo/photo ... otocon.htm
In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity

http://blueprintsaferooms.co.uk
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

Partimehero wrote:In a low water table area you could excavate 4 trenches (to the size of your bunker perimeter)
300-600mm wide and up to 2m deep with a mini excavator. Larger machines will go deeper obviously. Once you've got this square / rectangular trench dug out, pop in the rebar and pour the sides. The earth trench walls form the shuttering. Once cured the central portion of the earth can be excavated to expose the walls. Once open and all dug out the floor slab can be poured and then the roof.....
Again, not quite that simple!

I would like to see you (or anyone) try and dig a 2m deep 3-600mm wide trench, place the reinforcement and pour the concrete, with the trench remaining intact!

The bottom 3 foot would be full of loose soil and the top of the trench would be 6 foot wide ;)
Partimehero

Post by Partimehero »

Devonian wrote:
Again, not quite that simple!

I would like to see you (or anyone) try and dig a 2m deep 3-600mm wide trench, place the reinforcement and pour the concrete, with the trench remaining intact!

The bottom 3 foot would be full of loose soil and the top of the trench would be 6 foot wide ;)
Aargh, I forgot to add the magic ingredient.... It's definitely doo-able if you use scaffold boards to span the parts of the trenches you're working on. The first time I did this, the top of the trench WAS 6 foot wide. I learnt quickly! :) :oops:

Steveo82

Post by Steveo82 »

So what would you use as foundations/footings ?
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

Steveo82 wrote:So what would you use as foundations/footings ?

Wet soggy mud :lol:
Steveo82

Post by Steveo82 »

Devonian wrote:

:lol: ooowwww that's ok then as long as its wet
Partimehero

Post by Partimehero »

Devonian wrote:

Silly billy :lol:

If you excavate to approx 8" below the original trench level you can chuck in and tamper down your hardcore then pour the slab. You can sheet the base with a heavy DPM or even a rubberised pond liner beforehand and use an expanding water barrier for the construction joints.

The whole process is effective. I agree, Its not a traditional way to do it but the end result is good and it works. It can shave £££s off someone's project and it creates a solution for those on a tight budget. :D

Devonian

Post by Devonian »

Depends on the ground conditions, is it clay; mud, sandstone, chalk, shale???

But as I have previously stated, just use a pipe!! Cheaper and far far easier....... no engineering skills are needed.
Partimehero

Post by Partimehero »

Devonian wrote:Depends on the ground conditions, is it clay; mud, sandstone, chalk, shale???

But as I have previously stated, just use a pipe!! Cheaper and far far easier....... no engineering skills are needed.
I'm totally with you on that one. Some of corrugated pipes are designed to be buried 2 - 7 metres below ground.

PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

One word of caution that occurred to me when watching sky news yesterday: They were talking about the amount of people growing wacky backy, secret growing facilities and undercover journalism etc etc. Now one of the sites filmed was an underground bunker, the chap filmed was wearing a gas mask to hide his identity (but its the fact he owned one here,) they had ventilation pipes, they had lots of containers of water ... sound vaguely familiar anyone? Just thought to bear in mind if you are being covert about your preps and into bunker building, if someone gets a wiff, they may shop you to your local drug enforcement fearing you are growing marijuana! :lol:
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)