What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

How are you preparing
gunner7

Re: What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by gunner7 »

I've just spent the afternoon splitting some logs given to me by a collegue at work, mainly branch junctions and knotty bits that he's obviously struggled to split himself! I'm not complaining - two weeks of free wood now in the shed :)
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

It was a nice weekend so I bought a bow saw and set about cutting down a tree that the previous owners had planted in a bad position and I've been meaning to get rid of. We buy and burn seasoned logs in the chimenea and fire pit which I store in the shed so having cut the tree down I decided that instead of getting rid of it, I should cut it up and store the logs to burn.

Since they need seasoning themselves until next year at least, I needed somewhere to store them and I plan on adding more so the shed isn't going to work. This led to ordering a 4'x2'x4' log store which arrives on Friday. When it's built I'll cut some more logs as well as buy more seasoned ones for this year.

It all started so small, just a bow saw........ :D
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I'm off to poundlabd tomorrow for bamboo canes and those toppers so I don't poke my eyes out, Mr D is going to pick up some manure and compost to feed the first bed.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Decaff,
I went to one of the £ shops yesterday to get the stuff for this years seeds to be started off with.
I bought 5 extra plastic propagators in wilkinsons which cost £2 each with lids.
My veg will be grown for two reasons actually, 1) to mainly let go to seed and , 2) teach our grand kids how to grow.
We don't touch those seeds that have the EU standard on the packet, rather pay a bit more and buy from Real Seeds.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

whenfires wrote:It was a nice weekend so I bought a bow saw and set about cutting down a tree that the previous owners had planted in a bad position and I've been meaning to get rid of. We buy and burn seasoned logs in the chimenea and fire pit which I store in the shed so having cut the tree down I decided that instead of getting rid of it, I should cut it up and store the logs to burn.

Since they need seasoning themselves until next year at least, I needed somewhere to store them and I plan on adding more so the shed isn't going to work. This led to ordering a 4'x2'x4' log store which arrives on Friday. When it's built I'll cut some more logs as well as buy more seasoned ones for this year.

It all started so small, just a bow saw........ :D
Oh, man, that's your fate sealed, you'll be looking for a woodland now.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Wulfshead wrote:Decaff,
I went to one of the £ shops yesterday to get the stuff for this years seeds to be started off with.
I bought 5 extra plastic propagators in wilkinsons which cost £2 each with lids.
My veg will be grown for two reasons actually, 1) to mainly let go to seed and , 2) teach our grand kids how to grow.
We don't touch those seeds that have the EU standard on the packet, rather pay a bit more and buy from Real Seeds.

Wulfshead
I will have to pop to wilko's too I think!

I don't have a big seed collection to be honest as I had no need for them but I certainly would like to have Heirloom seeds, are those the ones you mean?
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Finally received my TENS machine which should mean that I may be able to reduce back pain if and when I get that again. Even if it doesnt I have tried it with the foot massage setup and it was quite fun and rather relaxing and may help me with my poor circulation in my feet :)
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

nickdutch wrote:Finally received my TENS machine which should mean that I may be able to reduce back pain if and when I get that again. Even if it doesnt I have tried it with the foot massage setup and it was quite fun and rather relaxing and may help me with my poor circulation in my feet :)

TENS machines are great, I have one that heats up and massages and its been great when I needed I on my leg or shoulder, battery and mains powered for use on the go or sitting down.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Going to be running through the stores and filling the gaps on the shelves over the next week. Also going to be filling the new coal bunker I have built ready for next Autumn. We still have enough coal to see us to the end of this burning season, so that new batch will do for Winter 16/17.

Then we will be looking at animal feed.We keep a good stock in, but I have insisted we hold at least 3 months worth. Also,we have to look at toiletries and cleaning materials, even though we hold a fair stock.

The reason? Redundancy has reared its ugly head again here at Chez Jansman. The Duchess came home today and has been put on notice AGAIN. Me , I have been told that the firm I now work for have to 'lose' 4 out of 14 butchers.As last in I could easily be first out. :( We both agree we ain't worrying about it as we are just too damned old for this sh£t ! Where my Wife is concerned, I doubt that she will lose her job, though you never say never! Me, well I have had more jobs in the last 3 years than in 30! :lol: Keep on prepping guys and gals.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Well J, at least you can get things organised now and have everything in place just in case.
My landlord has just been round to look at the fence which blew down autumn 2014 and which I had replaced, at my expense, said very good! and then told me my rent is going up. BASTARD! :evil:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon