anyone else seen this?

How are you preparing
ForgeCorvus

Re: anyone else seen this?

Post by ForgeCorvus »

This system works like the MRE heaters (current military ration packs are called "Meal, Ready to Eat"). The heater pack reacts with water to give off heat, these are single use and the water doesn't have to even be drinkable.
It seems that the pack heats a waterbath (Bain Marie) that is then used to cook or heat food, so you could prepare anything that needs to be near boiling for up to 1/2 an hour
It doesn't say if the waterbath is drinkable afterwards though, otherwise you'd have your tea water as well as lunch
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

ForgeCorvus wrote:This system works like the MRE heaters (current military ration packs are called "Meal, Ready to Eat"). The heater pack reacts with water to give off heat, these are single use and the water doesn't have to even be drinkable.
It seems that the pack heats a waterbath (Bain Marie) that is then used to cook or heat food, so you could prepare anything that needs to be near boiling for up to 1/2 an hour
It doesn't say if the waterbath is drinkable afterwards though, otherwise you'd have your tea water as well as lunch
I think the ones your referning to use iron, magnesium, and sodium as a reaction to heat the food so I doubt the water is drinkable after (I certainly wouldn't risk it) besides the ones I've seen don't use much water anyway.
7 lives

Post by 7 lives »

Katilea
Best of luck with your preps for the winter
As a disabled person myself I can relate to your concerns having done the best you can to prepare that's all you can do.
Its great to have a forum like this and folk who are so happy to share knowledge and tips.
Opinel

Post by Opinel »

I use a 20w solar panel to keep a 100AH battery charged .The battery powers my 2 ( front and rear ) outside 12v security lights .These are std 230v / 150w units with the internals taken out and replaced ( Siliconed in ) by a 12v 6w 48 led flat panel light unit .At only 1 amp draw for the 2 lights i have 100 hours of uninterupted illumination on the out side of the house , but with the solar panel topping the battery up each day the power supply is endless .
Then internally i have another 2 lights assembled inside ASDA 99p for 6 plastic camping bowls , these run off another 100AH battery charged from another 20w solar panel , again giving unlimited light .These can be used as direct illumination or as uplighters . I have 1 at the top of the stairs which gives light into both the stairs the bedrooms and bathroom .And another at the bottom of the stairs in the hall way which gives light to the kitchen as well .
I have just been trying the latest mini flat plate units which have a yellowish silicon applied over the led bulbs , these give good bright white light but the wires need re soldering as they fall off easily !
But they are not as good as the origonal 48 led panel lights , yet they drain a little more power ( Light loss through the silicon i suspect ) .
To keep the torches ( Cree led ) going I have a LLoytron universal ( AAA / AA ) Alkaline / NiMh charger that is run through a 350w inverter that can connect to either of the 100AH batteries .Reducing run time for lighting but as the Led units still work down to 7.5v it is not a problem as such .
But the LLoytron charger enables me to recharge Duracell std ( and cheaper Alkaline ones ) batteries 10 or more times before they are worn out .
And for a real emergency i have a 3kw Diesel generator and a 850w 2 stroke petrol one and a 1200w 4 stroke petrol and a 2100w 4 stroke petrol and a 3 kw 4 stroke petrol .( Just in case ) .And if all else fails i have a 1200w inverter to run off the diesel Zafira battery .
And of course i hold a stock of around 600 4hr tea light candles for both emergency light and also heating pop cans of water in around 20 mins per can for drinks and instant noodles etc .
And a pop can with the top and front cut out makes a good reflector for a tea light candle also .
Though the cooking side is taken care of by means of our open solid fuel fire which easily takes a 8 pint cast iron cook pot on the embers for emergency cooking ( and provides real toast on a cold winters night ) I do have a rather handy induction ring that does an amazingly quick boil of water that runs great on the 1200w to 3kw generators as it has variable power out put settings .
And 500w 230v work lights , again used with a generator to give super levels of illumination in an emergency , but seldom used in favour of the 12v 48 led panel light battery units i have adapted into the head units on 2 of my tripod mounted work lights.
So in my house when the lights go out the 1st to go on are the battery opperated cree strip light torches, then the 12v exterior lights and the 12v internal lighting which gives me both light and time to sort out a generator if required .A nice and stress free order that leaves me wondering why everyone else is in the dark ? .
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Looking at the two most important factors - warmth and water - I'm wondering if a tealight type candle placed inside the Kelly kettle would warm up water enough to make a passable cup of tea. It might require an insulating jacket around the Kelly kettle, and possibly some kind of baffle to keep the heat in the chimney for a bit longer.

In fact, if I remember, I'll try it this weekend.