What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by Arzosah »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:32 pm Plan of attack.....
Get an enclosure made up from pallets, locate that on the allotment.
Put the word out to street neighbours that I'd like their grass clippings into my wheelie bin, any time.
Acquire at least a few car loads of horse muck. Mix of mostly fresh stuff or the ripest free stuff I can get for free.
Adopt the contents of the office shredder on a regular basis.
Beg green waste and coffee grounds from a certain cafe. If they haven't already got a better disposal route. Maybe provide them a couple of bins, which I'll empty by rotation.
Adopt the almost unlimited supply of cardboard from work.
Scoop up more of the vast droppage of leaves that are virtually outside my front door.
There's a copse outside the allotment fence. Forage there for dropped leaves and green waste.
Objective to add >100Litres of ingredients each week. I think the green will be hardest.
See if I can get a couple of cubic metres by early summer.
Totally ... I have some lovely compost made from leaf litter that I've just scattered onto my rhubarb, which is looking *very* happy. Go for it :) all of these are great. Roasted egg shells on the top too, they'll decompose more slowly, but in the meantime they'll discourage slugs.
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:32 pm
jansman wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:48 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:15 am But crikey...... Thinking of 5 year timescales just to make compost. That grates in my 'Want it now' mindset.

Now.... Testing for grazon. I know to try a few peas or beans. I can hardly wait to start those tests, which will take a few weeks to see results.
In Summer,my compost is made ( now to July).I keep it turned. It doesn’t take five years!
Phew. Thank Goodness for that.
My two plastic bin composters look to be nearly ready to use after just shy of two years of being progressively fed. But they seem to have odd Tardis like property that no matter how much goes in, they never get full :)

I've decided, more and more that I'm going BIG on the compost making, not just progressively feeding. I'm going to race to get a big steaming heap, in the hope that I can use it sooner: Maybe even as soon as next year?

Plan of attack.....
Get an enclosure made up from pallets, locate that on the allotment.
Put the word out to street neighbours that I'd like their grass clippings into my wheelie bin, any time.
Acquire at least a few car loads of horse muck. Mix of mostly fresh stuff or the ripest free stuff I can get for free.
Adopt the contents of the office shredder on a regular basis.
Beg green waste and coffee grounds from a certain cafe. If they haven't already got a better disposal route. Maybe provide them a couple of bins, which I'll empty by rotation.
Adopt the almost unlimited supply of cardboard from work.
Scoop up more of the vast droppage of leaves that are virtually outside my front door.
There's a copse outside the allotment fence. Forage there for dropped leaves and green waste.
Objective to add >100Litres of ingredients each week. I think the green will be hardest.
See if I can get a couple of cubic metres by early summer.
Don’t put too much cardboard in! I wouldn’t even bother frankly.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Those waterproof gloves are £6. Thinking about it, wearing disposable nitrile gloves under work gloves might be better. It's not like I do loads.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Weird thing this morning. Three heavy roof tiles leaning against my garden wall. One was on the ground, smashed. Was there wind strong enough to blow a heavy roof itle over? Checks back (Met office). Was 30 mph gusts but I can't see it blowing a heavy tile over. It can't blow from the direction the tile is leaning, obviously. I mean, I don't know, I suppose it's possible. Seems unlikely.
So what else could have done it? On the other side of the wall is a table. Maybe a burglar used the tops of my tiles as a stepping stone to hop over the wall. There was a time a while back when the old neigbour had a plastic mini-shed there and the roof got cracked.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Frnc wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:49 am Those waterproof gloves are £6. Thinking about it, wearing disposable nitrile gloves under work gloves might be better. It's not like I do loads.
Washing up gloves.

I spent a fortune on gloves for hiking, then someone mentioned these. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

pseudonym wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:20 pm
Frnc wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:49 am Those waterproof gloves are £6. Thinking about it, wearing disposable nitrile gloves under work gloves might be better. It's not like I do loads.
Washing up gloves.

I spent a fortune on gloves for hiking, then someone mentioned these. :mrgreen:
I think they'd be a bit big to fit under my gardening gloves, I always buy large.
Hiking?! Maybe for wet weather if it's not cold. But they won't breathe.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Frnc wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:42 am Weird thing this morning. Three heavy roof tiles leaning against my garden wall. One was on the ground, smashed. Was there wind strong enough to blow a heavy roof itle over? Checks back (Met office). Was 30 mph gusts but I can't see it blowing a heavy tile over. It can't blow from the direction the tile is leaning, obviously. I mean, I don't know, I suppose it's possible. Seems unlikely.
So what else could have done it? On the other side of the wall is a table. Maybe a burglar used the tops of my tiles as a stepping stone to hop over the wall. There was a time a while back when the old neigbour had a plastic mini-shed there and the roof got cracked.
Do you have foxes? They may have knocked them over.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

GillyBee wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:16 pm
Frnc wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:42 am Weird thing this morning. Three heavy roof tiles leaning against my garden wall. One was on the ground, smashed. Was there wind strong enough to blow a heavy roof itle over? Checks back (Met office). Was 30 mph gusts but I can't see it blowing a heavy tile over. It can't blow from the direction the tile is leaning, obviously. I mean, I don't know, I suppose it's possible. Seems unlikely.
Do you have foxes? They may have knocked them over.
Has been known, around this time of year as well. I remember a big one sunbathing on my table in March one year. I remember it well, because a Japanese band I used to be into had a big thing about foxes, and they had an album coming out a few days later. I liked to think it was a good omen!
Next door had chickens by the way. They've moved now. But new neigbour was doing stuff the other day where the old coup is, I wonder if a fox was investigating.
jansman

Post by jansman »

As a longtime poultry keeper,foxes don’t ‘investigate’ hens! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:12 pm As a longtime poultry keeper,foxes don’t ‘investigate’ hens! :lol:
Maybe if it saw things going on, it might think maybe they are going to get chickens there again.