What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:37 am If your onion haven’t germinated ,may I ask,have you sown them too deep? Most seed literally needs sowing onto previously watered compost ( an hour or two in advance to ‘settle’) and the merest hint of compost rubbed between your hands to *just* cover the seeds. In nature,plants will throw seed straight onto soil.There are no humans to come along and cover with compost. To a degree,I try to replicate that situation.Work with nature. Then I give them the gentlest of water with a spray so not to disturb them. They have water beneath them from the initial preparation,so you only have to stop them drying out. Don’t drown them.When the seeds sprout,again,keep them just damp. I find with tomatoes that making them fight a little for survival ,by not overwatering,makes them push roots down quicker. That was a tip given to be my father in law many seasons ago,and that man could grow tomatoes in concrete! :lol:
That should be pinned somewhere, thanks jansman :D In fact, I'm going to copy and paste that - I'm in the last few days of ordering the chaos in the house because of windows and workmen, and while there's a lot else that needs doing, I'm thinking I can get a few things planted. I'd dearly love for kale and chard to become semi-naturalised in my garden.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:11 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:37 am If your onion haven’t germinated ,may I ask,have you sown them too deep? Most seed literally needs sowing onto previously watered compost ( an hour or two in advance to ‘settle’) and the merest hint of compost rubbed between your hands to *just* cover the seeds. In nature,plants will throw seed straight onto soil.There are no humans to come along and cover with compost. To a degree,I try to replicate that situation.Work with nature. Then I give them the gentlest of water with a spray so not to disturb them. They have water beneath them from the initial preparation,so you only have to stop them drying out. Don’t drown them.When the seeds sprout,again,keep them just damp. I find with tomatoes that making them fight a little for survival ,by not overwatering,makes them push roots down quicker. That was a tip given to be my father in law many seasons ago,and that man could grow tomatoes in concrete! :lol:
That should be pinned somewhere, thanks jansman :D In fact, I'm going to copy and paste that - I'm in the last few days of ordering the chaos in the house because of windows and workmen, and while there's a lot else that needs doing, I'm thinking I can get a few things planted. I'd dearly love for kale and chard to become semi-naturalised in my garden.
I know chard will naturalise. I grow that and spinach beet,same thing really, and just let it go to seed each year. When the seed is dry and ready to drop,I just whack it with a stick,and where the seeds lay,they stay. Some always sprout.You can do the same with lettuce too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Picked up a small inverter this week. We have a few deep cycle batteries for electric fences and some limited solar but only one, fairly old, inverter. To be honest, I don't anticipate ever using much 240V in a grid down situation, saving batteries for 12V or USB use. Unfortunately there are a couple of low power 240V items that I would like to be able to use that demand 240V. Given that's the case, I think not relying on a single old unit makes sense

ImageInverter by English Countrylife, on Flickr

ImageInverter on battery by English Countrylife, on Flickr
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Excellent - I didn't realise the same happened with lettuce. I don't really eat it at the moment, because of just eating frozen veg, but I'd like to, raw food straight from the garden has got to be full of vim and vigour :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:21 pm Excellent - I didn't realise the same happened with lettuce. I don't really eat it at the moment, because of just eating frozen veg, but I'd like to, raw food straight from the garden has got to be full of vim and vigour :lol:
I don’t see why Kale would be any different. Oilseed Rape ( same family) grows all over the place here, naturalised, even though that crop hasn’t been grown there for donkeys years. There is a perennial kale called Daubentons Kale that can be grown from cuttings to perpetuate its kind. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to do well in my garden.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

I’m really going to miss my home grown veg this year!!
Appin

Post by Appin »

Petrol storage advice from the HSE.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion ... iation.htm

This covers homes as well and when you need to notify PEA,

Interestingly the rules on diesel are not made clear.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Appin wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:15 pm Petrol storage advice from the HSE.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion ... iation.htm

This covers homes as well and when you need to notify PEA,

Interestingly the rules on diesel are not made clear.
Because diesel isn't petrol ;)

Many country houses have 2000l+ tanks of Kerro for heating likewise farms have big derv tanks .. neither are as flamable as petrol
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Last edited by jennyjj01 on Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:46 am WOW!
I water and check my seedling pots daily, and I just had the shock of my life. Four of six tomato seeds just BURST THROUGH. And I mean BURST.
When I watered at 11am yesterday there was just compost. This morning, they were over 2cm tall !!!! 2cm in a DAY!!!! That's 1cm of shoot and 1cm of baby leaf. Sowed 14 March.
It's beyond belief that they grew so fast, but I swear I could not see anything yesterday.
Congratulations! :lol: 👍🏻