What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:38 am
jansman wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:30 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:46 pm f

Was out today on Retail Therapy. But managed to spend just an hour 'mining' on the pavement. They were oak leaves, which fell last year and formed an inch and half thick layer which has sat patiently waiting and decomposing. Scraped up a car bootful, now decanted to the lottment.

I'm thinking they could do with shredding, so I'll be 'sperimenting with spreading them out and mowing them, OR firing up the generator so I can attack them with the strimmer in a barrel or builders bag. I think the mower might make too much mess, but might be faster.

Silly quandary. The best place for me to build my heap is really close to neighbouring houses. Hmmm I could become unpopular.

Mr JJ let me down with the pallets :(
I wouldn’t worry about ‘pallet composting bins’. In my garden ,yes, I have tidy looking plastic ones.
Regarding your allotment; look after it ,and keep it tidy of course - indeed you have to. But cut the work. Vegetable growing is good,but like anything else to ‘profit’ from,you have to be ruthless with energy expenditure.Your energy.
Excellent points Jansman. You've seen how tight I'm being with expenditure on this venture, so you're spot on in recommending efficiency. The pallet heap is to be super simple, maybe just 3 sides. It's only complicated by the fact we already busted up our pallets. Will probably blag 3 more whole ones. My plot swap saved me a heck of a lot of weeding work and I fess I've used a bit of weed killer. Got some ready for sowing now. So give me the heads up😀
Heads up alright! Go for it! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I am very pleased to say that my dear wife has received her shotgun certificate. She has always been quite a good shot , but not particularly bothered about shooting. One of her friends is really into clay pigeon , so now it’s possible for her. My ticket expires later this year, and because of illness, I won’t renew mine. It also saves aggro with moving my ‘collection’ on. She has a very nice 16 bore too, often recognised as a ‘ladies’ gun.

That started a conversation between us about security in the future. Not what you think ;) ;) Always got to be careful about the gun cabinet! :lol: :lol: :lol: Made sure we have a decent burglar alarm.

Robert Frost.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:46 pm
Was out today on Retail Therapy. But managed to spend just an hour 'mining' on the pavement. They were oak leaves, which fell last year and formed an inch and half thick layer which has sat patiently waiting and decomposing. Scraped up a car bootful, now decanted to the lottment.

I'm thinking they could do with shredding, so I'll be 'sperimenting with spreading them out and mowing them, OR firing up the generator so I can attack them with the strimmer in a barrel or builders bag. I think the mower might make too much mess, but might be faster.
Ive done tbis in the past and would definitely say use the mower . Actually much less mess as it'll collect in the grass box. A strimmer in a builders bag will rip the bag to shreds and I feel in a barrel you'll wear the line continually.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

I'll try the mower but have to n
Be careful it doesn't spread all over the common area. I have a lot to shred.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Cleared out the under stairs cupboard, which runs the length of the front room - chucked out crap, installed new shelving units/baskets to store stuff in and got everything tidied up and shipshape so I can actually find the stuff that's in there. :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:29 pm I'll try the mower but have to n
Be careful it doesn't spread all over the common area. I have a lot to shred.
Or just chuck it on the heap and let nature do the work. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Well todays prep was internet hunting for a new polytunnle the polycarbonate type this time as they say can last upto 30 years if looked after so rather than the polythene type we have now , i found a company with a uk phone number and thought ok i check them out so went on their chat app and asked how long to dleiver and so on and then i get told oh we are in denmark and you must factor in postage and duty and due to britain choosing to BREXIT the price is now far higher than a few years back .
I got told when i said wow so you blame BREXIT yet another company using that and the guy said well it is your fault lol then ended the chat lol

AVOID A COMPANY CALLED DANCOVERS

They make you think UK based and it is not until you try to order you get told oh fees for this and that lol

Back to the drawing board
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I suspect a small amount of water got over the new flashing and onto my bedroom ceiling. Ordered a damp meter (ETI 7250 £79 incl postage, good price, they are £96 elsewhere).
I also got a price for a damp survey that wasn't bad (£100), but the meter I can use more than once, and I'd already ordered it.
I did use my infra-red non-contact thermometer as well. It was a degree colder, but so was the edge of the ceiling away from the suspect area. I discovered with that, it's best to hold it close and hold the trigger for a few seconds.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Went to see a Podiatrist. I have Reynauds, a micro-circulation issue that's heredetary. My main circulation is fine. Explains my cold fingers. There's no cure but it's no big deal. 1 in 10 people have it. He did agree with the third suggestion from my doctors which was that it was chilblains, caused by the Reynauds. He said to keep my feet warm. He was a bit surprised that the docs took three guesses, antibitotics and anti-fungal cream having not worked, to get even close.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Pleased to say that I had early radiotherapy this morning, and also no rain! The goodness of no rain meant that I was able to get up on the roof and finally finish pointing the chimney I started a fortnight ago. Now I am cream - crackered :lol: So now I am crashed in front of the fire ,with dog on my lap,watching 1970’s comedies. Right now,Bless This House. How apt! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.