What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:05 pm
jansman wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:58 pm
Frnc wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:12 pm Leak is coming from chimney. Either I can remove it completely or rebuild it. Latter is dearer obviously. So looks like I won't ever be getting a wood stove now. I do still have the other chimney at the front.
Get the chimney repaired,drop a liner down,solid fuel stove.
Extra £1000 even before the cost of the stove and fireplace. I had about £9,000 expenses already last year. Couldn't spend any more. Long term bug in I'd have to try to use the fireplace in the front room.
Top tip for chimney usage. Make sure you have tested for fume/ smoke movement. And do it well ahead too.That’s easily done by sweeping and putting a smoke bomb up. We had townies move into Mary’s house over the road. Mary had open fires,and had them swept regularly. However,upon being moved into care,she had jackdaws nesting right down in the chimneys. My wife introduced herself to the couple over the road. Conversation got to the question about coal merchant etc. when ours turned up. Mrs J mentioned that they had jackdaws in the chimneys,and they were rather impolite- they knew better. Long and short,they tried to kill themselves with smoke when they lit their first fire! :lol: :lol:

If you are considering using your fireplace for SHTF time,get it sorted now,get some fuel in ( it keeps) and sort some sweeping gear too.You won’t regret it. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:33 pm
Frnc wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:05 pm
jansman wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:58 pm

Get the chimney repaired,drop a liner down,solid fuel stove.
Extra £1000 even before the cost of the stove and fireplace. I had about £9,000 expenses already last year. Couldn't spend any more. Long term bug in I'd have to try to use the fireplace in the front room.
Top tip for chimney usage. Make sure you have tested for fume/ smoke movement. And do it well ahead too.That’s easily done by sweeping and putting a smoke bomb up. We had townies move into Mary’s house over the road. Mary had open fires,and had them swept regularly. However,upon being moved into care,she had jackdaws nesting right down in the chimneys. My wife introduced herself to the couple over the road. Conversation got to the question about coal merchant etc. when ours turned up. Mrs J mentioned that they had jackdaws in the chimneys,and they were rather impolite- they knew better. Long and short,they tried to kill themselves with smoke when they lit their first fire! :lol: :lol:

If you are considering using your fireplace for SHTF time,get it sorted now,get some fuel in ( it keeps) and sort some sweeping gear too.You won’t regret it. ;)
I can't. That is a lodger's room. There is a fireplace, but it was only decorative, I don't know if it would be good enough. If he ever moves out I might think about it, but if I'm getting another lodger I'm not sure there would be much point. And I don't want to spend any more big sums unless I have to.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Not really prepping but I got a new shed today which had made me very happy.

I’m officially auld.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Ordered a new Mobile, dropped the other one into a sink of water.... :?

Not holding out much hope for the rice trick so getting ahead of the curve. Amazon Prime is a help sometimes, should be here by lunchtime tomorrow.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Kiwififer wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:09 pm Not really prepping but I got a new shed today which had made me very happy.

I’m officially auld.
Yayyyy
Congratulations. You're not old till you buy a conservatory and call it an orangery.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

pseudonym wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:25 pm Ordered a new Mobile, dropped the other one into a sink of water.... :?

Not holding out much hope for the rice trick so getting ahead of the curve. Amazon Prime is a help sometimes, should be here by lunchtime tomorrow.
That's unlucky. A case wouldn't help, although I do have a waterproof one I've never actually used. I wished I'd had it one day when I was using the phone at a sheltered bus stop on a rainy day when a car splashed a big puddle over me. The phone got quite wet but survived.

I dropped it on a wooden floor about a day after I'd finished paying for it. It appears to have survived though. Normally I'm very careful. I have two other cases, and both have a wrist leash attached. I don't always bother putting my whole hand through, sometimes just a finger. But this time I stupidly left it on my chest while lying on my back and forgot. Then got up and sent it flying. It's three years old and paid for, and it's insured, so I'm not too fussed about it now.
I have a silicone case, which is the one it was in when I dropped it, and I have a leather flip case that covers the front. The hinge is at the top, not the side. I use this one if I want more protection eg to a gig or maybe bike ride.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

pseudonym wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:25 pm Ordered a new Mobile, dropped the other one into a sink of water.... :?

Bugger I've got several large packets of silica gell stashed for this emergency :shock: last time I dunked it in deionised water with the battery removed (not always possible now) then dried bar the stained screen it worked fine till the battery finally gave out
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:30 pm
Kiwififer wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:09 pm Not really prepping but I got a new shed today which had made me very happy.

I’m officially auld.
Yayyyy
Congratulations. You're not old till you buy a conservatory and call it an orangery.
That’s Escape to the Chateau stuff. 😉
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Roofers are here. One was picking bricks off the chimney, no hammer required. Mortar had turned to dust. Good job it didn't fall through my bedroom ceiling in a storm! I need to get the other side done this year. Explains why my lodger's window has so much condensation. Some of the brickwork at the top of the wall also needs doing (they did some of it today). All other expenditure is going to have to wait.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:14 pm Roofers are here. One was picking bricks off the chimney, no hammer required. Mortar had turned to dust. Good job it didn't fall through my bedroom ceiling in a storm! I need to get the other side done this year. Explains why my lodger's window has so much condensation. Some of the brickwork at the top of the wall also needs doing (they did some of it today). All other expenditure is going to have to wait.
Sounds like it needed sorting,for sure. Good move. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.