What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by jansman »

Knees are playing up at the moment,so tomorrow- my usual day for fishing- is out. I have a load of wood to process in the workshop tomorrow. The Winter 22/23 stacks are looking healthy. I picked up another 100 kg of smokeless coal on the way home from work this afternoon,before the price rises. I shall make another 10 gallons of booze,and pickle some more red cabbage - I love it.

I have to pick up more poultry feed from my farmer- friend,and straw too. Whilst I am out there I’ll get more cockatiel seed . That’ll take care of the day.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Random stuff here - 3kgs of dried cranberries (baking). 2 x5L water - the water in this village has gone off twice in the time we've been here. And more wool (ahem). Norwegian soft as air chunky in rich burgundy red, for a lap blanket/shoulder wrap/whatever thingy :mrgreen:
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

managed to get some logs cut,split and stacked today and some seeds planted in the veg patch but due to my recent health scare i'm still at a go slow pace for now(which i'm not used to and doing my head in abit),eldest lad has been great when he not in college helping me out in all fairness
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:09 pm Random stuff here - 3kgs of dried cranberries (baking). 2 x5L water - the water in this village has gone off twice in the time we've been here. And more wool (ahem). Norwegian soft as air chunky in rich burgundy red, for a lap blanket/shoulder wrap/whatever thingy :mrgreen:
That wool sounds beautiful as does the blanket/wrap thingy. Sadly I never quite got to grips with knitting or sewing much to the dismay of my granny and mum and probably gave my needlework teacher nightmares (showing my age). I cook and bake and would hope to trade skills for clothing repairs/items should I need to. I would quite like to learn to spin wool though.
Growing old disgracefully!
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I can't sew to save my life. I use safety pins to repair things :lol: I like knitting though, its a calm peaceful way to spend time. And I love wool, so warm and soft. My mum could sew but not knit. And neither of us could cook :mrgreen:
SamVimes

Post by SamVimes »

Charging up power packs. Contemplating water butts (can't match BritishRed but something is better than nothing). Battery charger arrived for next purchase of leisure battery.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

SamVimes wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:31 pm Charging up power packs. Contemplating water butts (can't match BritishRed but something is better than nothing). Battery charger arrived for next purchase of leisure battery.
Aldi Have 100L water butts as the current specialbuy. About £22
Other than that google your water company, such as
https://www.unitedutilities.com/your-qu ... ter-butts/
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

pseudonym wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:41 am New water filter:

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ter-p15297
That looks pretty interesting. I like the carbon filter idea, although they do have limited life compared to the main filter. 150 gallons would last you nearly a year at 2 litres a day. The main filter is 100,000 gallons, same as the Sawyer Micro I have.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Frnc wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:10 pm
pseudonym wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:41 am New water filter:

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ter-p15297
That looks pretty interesting. I like the carbon filter idea, although they do have limited life compared to the main filter. 150 gallons would last you nearly a year at 2 litres a day. The main filter is 100,000 gallons, same as the Sawyer Micro I have.
I have the Sawyer and a Katadyn Befree filter already. The carbon filter was the seller for me on this one.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.